VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can anyone help me in finding the similar or compatible memory chips to upgrade the 1MB memory found on my Hercules Dynamite VLB ET4000? Thought of upgrading it to 2MB to take advantage of the interleave feature.
The empty sockets are very tempting! 😁

And is it possible to upgrade it to 4MB?

Thanks for any info! 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I remember reading once that ET4000W32P was capable of addressing 4mb DRAM, but to the best of my knowledge no such card was ever produced. You can forget about upgrading your card beyond 2MB, it's just not going to happen.

In order for us to help you out, you're going to need to help us out by providing a high resolution photo of your card. There are many different packages for DRAM upgrades, and we have no way of knowing what type yours is using.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 28, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess it uses DIP20 style chips ? Can you post a picture of it or tell us what it says on the markings on the memory chips already there ?

I think 2MB is the max for that card.

EDIT: after doing a little research, not still 100% sure, but I think the Mosel Vitelic V53C104HP45 ones will work. Don't know what speed the ones you got there is, though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vitelic-V53C104HP45-256Kx … =item3ef3a9c6b8
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vitelic-V53C104HP45-256Kx … =item56400f756d

Reply 4 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My ET4000/W32P VLB card has Vitelic V53C104BP60 chips on it. As far as I can tell the difference between the ones linked above and the ones I have is that the HP models are fast page mode and the BP models are not. The 60 and 45 is just the speed rating in nanoseconds.

So, the HP45 chips should work as far as I know. It's only $20 so I'll give it a crack and see how it goes 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 28, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Isn't going to be issues mixing FPM memory with memory that isn't FPM ?
Just asking because for example I have a Trident 9680 card that doesn't like when I put EDO memory in it while the one already soldered in isn't EDO. Hope that made sense.

Reply 6 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've bought enough to replace all the chips so that shouldn't be an issue. There aren't any chips soldered on.

Reply 9 of 28, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice card 😀
9432 means the chips were made in 1994, in the week number 32 (August).

Ok, so you have the type of chips I guessed earlier and DonutKing confirmed. He also said the ones I linked before should work, so go ahead and grab it if you want.

Alternatively, I guess you can also use this (I'm just linking to the chips used in the cards I have):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-TC514256AP-70-256 … =item3ef849f6ba

Or just search for '256kx4' in ebay, it'll give you plenty of results.

Reply 10 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dang...those chips are expensive to get nowdays.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How much were they 'back in the day'?

Malik it looks like you have the exact same card as me, although mine has 16 DIP sockets (no empty solder pads) and I've only got 8 of the BP60 chips installed.

It will probably not be until new year that I receive the chips, with international shipping and all.

Reply 12 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

How much were they 'back in the day'?

I didn't own a computer in those days, but I do know in the 2002-ish days I found heaps of computers containing 5 to 9 identical SRAM chips on the side of the road 😀

Reply 13 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot guys! (Just came back from my conference-vacation.) I'll order some and will let you know how the card is when "upgraded"! 😀

(EDIT:Yes, this card also has 16-sockets. The left half of the card didn't make it into the picture and the other full-card picture is not very clear,which I didn't upload.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 28, by csavko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I stumbled across this thread and it got me thinking. I have a Cardex ET4000 W32/P from Ebay that uses a different type of socket. Is this the right memory? http://cgi.ebay.com/OKI-VRAM-Memory-Chip-M514 … =item35aed9b7ae

If you go onto their website, these things are $5 a piece and if I do my math right based on the spec sheet, these are 512 KB chips. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Filename
    card-full.jpg
    File size
    1.73 MiB
    Downloads
    234 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    close-up.jpg
    File size
    2.51 MiB
    Downloads
    237 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm I'd forgotten about this thread. I have received the RAM chips and replaced all 16 chips on my ET4000/W32P VLB with the HP45 type chips, and it works perfectly. I now have 2MB of video RAM although I don't notice much difference in performance even in 3Dbench.

Reply 16 of 28, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, since 320x200x256 is not a mode with linear access to the graphics ram.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 17 of 28, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Tseng ET6100 has only two of the four memory sockets filled. Does anyone know what the max memory amount is that can be installed on these and a source for the chips apart from buying another card? It took me a long time just to find this one and if I have to go through that again, I'd rather not scavenge parts off of it.

Reply 18 of 28, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If there are 4 sockets, the max. memory amount is probably 4.5 MB.
Better read this thread a bit up and down before considering joining two cards to one: http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/tseng13.html

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 19 of 28, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ater using the HP45 chips in my ET4000 I have run into an issue. Games like commander Keen and Bio Menace have serious graphic corruption. They have a few SVGA compatiblity command line switches to try out but they made no difference. In bio menace the menu screen was horribly corrupted and in game there was this large purple checkerboard pattern- hard to describe but basically it was overlaid onto the game graphics, everything in a large square was tinged purple.

I pulled the chips off and put the BP60 back in, and it works fine, although its only 1MB. I did not notice this in any other games like doom, hexen, sim city 2000 etc.

So its either some of those HP45 chips are faulty, or they are incompatible with the card, or the card is faulty when running with 2MB memory.