VOGONS

NEC XR385

Topic actions

First post, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Our chinese friend seems to have an unlimited supply of these quality DB60XG clones. And now with FREE shipping! For 19.99 U$D I feel tempted to order another one. For safety reasons. As a spare. In case my first one dies.

Check his eBay offer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/XR385-DB60XG-MIDI-Wavetab … =item2eb1e84640

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 1 of 96, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ordered one of these 3 weeks ago and I still haven't recieved it, apparently its stuck in Customs over there. Probably a bad time of year for buying internationally.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 96, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 same here! No card in sight...

A lot of my other eBay purchases also haven't arrived...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 96, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a look at this ebay listing, and his ebay selling name of "double fish" rings a bell. I bought a couple of these DBs from him about 2 years ago. It's incredible that his inventory of these items is not yet depleted. They both worked fine. Actually, speaking of international orders which have not been delivered, I am also in this situation. Some Palominos from the USA have made it to the UK, but the tracking status says "attempted delivery" for last Friday...

Reply 5 of 96, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheLazy1 wrote:

I don't remember if it's the same guy, but mine came in a bubble mailer wrapped in newspaper.
Still works though. 😁

It's understandable that he must save on shipping in order to afford free international shipping, but I received two cheap wrapped cards and one of them was DOA, with some deep scratches on PCB surface. I reported the issue and he sent me another card for free without a word of complaint.

Reply 6 of 96, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got one on the way too - he did say to expect shipping to take 20 days or so.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 11 of 96, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine arrived last week - hooked it up to my CT2290 SB16 and it works perfectly. Not as good, IMO, as a Sound Canvas - but very nice indeed. Between my GUS Max, SC55, MT32 and XR385, I think I've got the MIDI bases covered now 😀

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 12 of 96, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote:

Mine arrived last week - hooked it up to my CT2290 SB16 and it works perfectly.

Have you tried the "Hexen hanging note bug test"? To do this, download the free to download Hexen shareware demo. Then, run Hexen at the DOS prompt like this:

Hexen -warp 02

Do you hear a stuck music note, when you have configured your SB to play digital effects and also General Midi using the NEC DB? Most of the time, this stuck note can be heard immediately, when this Hexen warp test is run. Sometimes, it takes a minute or two for the problem to occur.

If the problem has occured, there is a workaround, of sorts. For the General Midi / DB music, you can use a SB clone card. I've tried several, and my favourite is the ESS ES1686F chipset based card. The wavetable header is clear on these cards - better than all Creative cards that I've used, and I've tested over a dozen of them. For the SB digital effects, you can still use your SB card. Of course, you'll need 1 extra ISA slot for the SB clone card, and 1 stereo mixer, because of the 2 soundcards.

(Another option is to ditch the CT2290, if it causes General Midi music problems, and just use the SB clone card for both effects and music.)

Reply 13 of 96, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a CT2800 off ebay a while ago and it finally arrived, with an XR385 daughterboard attached... wasn't in the pics or description. Bonus 😀

I still haven't recieved the one I ordered from China though. Oh well now I will have two (if it ever arrives).

I'm back to work this week though so I'm hoping to get some time to play with it this weekend. Also need to try the MT32 on the CT2800 to see if it gets the hanging note bug. I wouldn't be surprised if it did though.

Reply 14 of 96, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Same my NEC also hasn't arrived yet. But I ordered two CT2860's and they arrived today!

They also have Yamaha OPL chips. I got these because I saw your post. These CT28xx cards are the last "design" to come with real Yamaha OPL chips.

So a nice compromise between authentic sound and not having to use really long / old / expensive cards.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 96, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any modern sound card that with daughterboard connectors?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 16 of 96, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CT2900 appeared to have low-voltage mobile versions of the OPL3 on it although they seemed functionally identical to the standard chips to me - sounded the same as far as I could tell. They seem quite uncommon though.
I guess I will have to test that with the MT32/XR385 as well 😀

Is there a good 'test' for OPL sounds or will it just obviously sound wrong? I noticed that an Aztech card had different sounding music to a Creative card in certain games.

So is your CT2860 non-plug and play? And its a Vibra 16S chipset correct? The CT2800/CT2900 are both PnP.
I wish there was some rhyme or reason to creative's model number scheme 😵

Reply 18 of 96, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Is there a good 'test' for OPL sounds or will it just obviously sound wrong? I noticed that an Aztech card had different sounding music to a Creative card in certain games.

So is your CT2860 non-plug and play? And its a Vibra 16S chipset correct? The CT2800/CT2900 are both PnP.
I wish there was some rhyme or reason to creative's model number scheme 😵

Yes also Vibra 16S (last SB16 design with real Yamaha OPL chip)

Regarding PnP the card installs slightly different compared to my AWE64. So CTCM.EXE + AWEUTIL.EXE /S doesn't work.

All I did was run INSTALL.EXE from the SBBASIC setup folder (these drivers are on the Creative Support Server). It then installs everything and all works fine.

Without any drivers, the card works as Adlib only. So not sure if it's 100% PnP 😜

Regarding OPL music, my personal test is Monkey Island 2. The very first bit separates the clones from the real OPL chips.

I tested both cards, the speaker output for starters sounded very noisy. I haven't done a recording on the line out yet...

Reply 19 of 96, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm that's interesting. I personally found the CT2800 to have a much cleaner output than any other SB16 I tried.
I also found that even though the CT2800 is a PnP card, I didn't load any drivers (did put SET BLASTER in autoexec.bat though) and it worked perfectly at standard IO/IRQ/DMA settings.

I'll run Monkey Island 2 against the CT2900 and see if it is any different to a card with a 'standard' OPL3.