VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I was browsing the net quickly a couple weeks ago I think?
Usually I just keep clicking interesting links, wandering all over the place and sometimes finding interesting info that way.

So a couple weeks ago I was about to leave home when I was browsing Youtube for movies about old hardware and someone was talking about the memory sockets that those 2MB and 4MB PCI cards used to have.

I didn't have the time to watch the whole movie but quickly dropped a link somewhere so I could find it again.

...alas, I can't find it again!
I wanted to see it (and read the youtube comments) because he was basically taking those EDO SIMM's in his hand (the kind with 2 big fat chips on one side usually, the chips themselves are 2MB or so) and cut them off for to use them in those sockets!

I found it weird, but was interested enough to want to see the movie, but I lost it, doh!

Anyone know anything about this? The idea (how remotely plausible!) itself seems like an interesting idea.

And yes, I know it's a stupid idea 🤣, but you never know 😜

Reply 1 of 2, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I did that a couple of times. When some old HDDs of between 2GB and 4GB died on me, those HDDs had 512kb of cache, and they used those chips used on my PCI cards. So, because the HDDs died and served no more use, I stripped that memory chips from the PCB and stuffed it on my then new Trident 9680 cards or Cirrus cards. I'll post images later if I remember. Images of HDDs PCB I'm keeping just to trip the memory, and images of the card I still have, that use chips from them.
I guess is the same with EDO or FPM SIMM memory. You just have to use a soldering iron and make your way with those chips.

Reply 2 of 2, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a pair of old PCI cards laying around that have chip sockets. I remember back when I regularly still dealt with old Pentium era equipment, I'd often times take cards I had trouble with or just had a crappy chipset and pry the memory chips off if they were the type that could fit in the socket. Come to think of it, I remember that the two chips in the sockets on the AT24 card I have were pried off a dead PackardBell's motherboard.

Since things advance too quick now, I guess it's not practical to have things as modular as back in the 90s but it seemed those big memory chips were around long enough that it might have been practical; after getting a nicer video card just scrap the memory off your old one.

tn_vidcard.jpg