VOGONS

First post, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What, in your opinion, would be a balanced machine for DOS gaming, trying to cover all recent DOS games?

Not interested in early DOS games, those often are run best in very slow machines...

I'll exclude 486 (need some parts). I have enough to put together a socket 7 with almost any pentium cpu made, a super socket 7 (i have a few k6-2)or a Slot 1 system using processors PII233 up to PIII 500. Ram is not an issue as i have lots of sticks lying around. Have several graphic and sound cards too.

Any comments, ideas? Thanks.

Reply 3 of 51, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slot 1 is very stable, fast and reliable. Once you start to play SVGA games a fast Pentium 3 is the way to go.

So I would recommend a Slot 1 board and a Pentium III.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Slot 1 is very stable, fast and reliable. Once you start to play SVGA games a fast Pentium 3 is the way to go.

So I would recommend a Slot 1 board and a Pentium III.

I do have an Asus P2B and a few others, but i always liked Asus.

And what about a graphic card? What would be recommended?

I have some some 3dfx (from Banshee to V5500), some Ati, Nvidia, Kyro, S3...

Best one i can put in this board is a Geforce FX5900XT, but that's just overkill...

Reply 6 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

PII 233-300 on 66MHz FSB.

Pentium III 500 wouldn't make Armored Fist 2 or Extreme Assault much faster, besides to DOS that's just a Pentium II 400 at that point

So i assume these are the DOS games that have the higher requirements?

Reply 7 of 51, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:

And what about a graphic card? What would be recommended?

For DOS only I would recommend a Voodoo or Voodoo 2. And for a 2D card something based on the PCI S3 Trio 64 V+.

Not 100% sure about the differences but I believe some games don't run on the Voodoo 2.

Reply 8 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

For DOS only I would recommend a Voodoo or Voodoo 2. And for a 2D card something based on the PCI S3 Trio 64 V+.

I have all the cards you mentioned. But how good is 2d from S3 Trio compared to more "recent" cards?

I had one back then and i remember it was not that great.
I replaced it with a Matrox Mystique and it seemed much better...

Reply 9 of 51, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK the Matrox is populat because it has very high signal quality which matters under Windows at higher resolutions.

But for DOS? I don't see any benefits to be honest... The S3 cards are very compatible. You shouldn't run into any game giving you issues.

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

AFAIK the Matrox is populat because it has very high signal quality which matters under Windows at higher resolutions.

But for DOS? I don't see any benefits to be honest... The S3 cards are very compatible. You shouldn't run into any game giving you issues.

I can tell that comparing my 2MB PCI ATI Rage II with an AGP Hercules 3DPROPHET 4500, the image Kyro displays is much more clear and sharper in DOS.

Reply 11 of 51, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There you go...

Well Voodoo 2 + Matrox is certainly a very popular configuration!

My YouTube channel

Reply 12 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
leileilol wrote:

If you find a P2 Deschutes with flexible multi, that would be even better 😉

Do you know what model is unlocked?

Reply 13 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

There you go...

Well Voodoo 2 + Matrox is certainly a very popular configuration!

Tha only Matrox i have these days is the M3D... Well, seems that i'll have to try a few cards and see the results.

Reply 15 of 51, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IMHO what you need is a fast vga card with Vesa3 (or 2) BIOS... The voodoo3 has a VBE3 BIOS and better yet - the Nvidia Riva cards have a VBE3 BIOS , are somewhat faster and don't have some bugs in old games like the voodoo3 has (though you don't care for old games...)
I would use a Riva card and a voodoo add-on

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 16 of 51, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I take it that the "recent" dos games mean the last breed of dos games. All will run nicely in a basic Pentium 166 or even a P133 (one of my classic systems). Add in a S3 Virge DX and a Voodoo 1 card. That will be more than enough.

Of course, when it comes to tweaking, a Pentium III 450 or 500Mhz, 2 x Voodoo2 in SLI, a Riva TNT2 Ultra AGP, AND with a PCI Rendition V2200 or PCI S3 Virge 4MB GX and AWE64 Gold will be one of the "dream machines" of the dos era. (You need to have a KVM switch or manually switch the vga cable to the PCI or AGP output.)

The advantage of a Pentium P54c or P55c is the ability to fall back into a "AT" mode with the internal cache disabled using ICD.EXE (which may not work on higher systems or cause crashes), to bring down the speed to play older games. And most of these boards have the Turbo switch headers to disable the turbo to a 486 DX2 class speed.

And the PIII system can double-up as a very good and stable Win98SE/WinME/Win2K based machine, in addition to running the dos games at max speed. The Verite or Virge card can make use of the propietary engine in supported games (not for performance, but just because the games support these, and you wanna see them anyway. 😀 )

A lot of good things have been said about Voodoo3. It's a definite yes, if you have only one choice in terms of graphics card.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 17 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
leileilol wrote:

If you find a P2 Deschutes with flexible multi, that would be even better 😉

Do you know what model is unlocked?

We had a lengthy thread going here:
Which Pentium IIs can be underclocked?

In short, I don't know for sure which ones are 'unlocked' but it were the earlier ones of certain steppings produced before week 30 1998?
And even if you get one, theres no guarantee it will have a free multi. Same with a locked multi produced after week 30.

Reply 18 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

A lot of good things have been said about Voodoo3. It's a definite yes, if you have only one choice in terms of graphics card.

Here's a list of the cards i currently have (most of them anyway...):

PCI

4MB Voodoo 1
2 x 8MB Voodoo2 (sli matched)
12MB Voodoo2

2MB ATI Mach64 VT
2MB ATI Rage II + DVD
xMB ATI Rage LT
2MB S3 Trio 64V+
2/4MB S3 Virge DX
16 or 32MB S3 Savage 4
64MB Nvidia GF MX400
16MB 3dfx Banshee
16MB 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000

Supporting AGP 1.0

4MB SIS 6326
16MB ATI Rage Fury
32MB ATI Rage Fury MAXX
some newer ATI 9200
16MB 3dfx Voodoo Banshee
16MB 3dfx Voodoo3 3000/3500
32MB 3dfx Voodoo4 4500
64MB 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500
16MB Riva TNT VIVO (can't find it right now, it's an ASUS and maybe its TNT2)
32MB Geforce 256
32MB Geforce 2 PRO
128MB Nvidia FX5900XT

Almost forgot the Kyro 4500 64MB...

This kind of sums up the cards i have. I know there are some more, but they are scattered around some boxes...

So, perhaps this makes it easier to choose?

Reply 19 of 51, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since you can't find the TNT (BTW STAY AWAY FROM GEFORCE ANYTHING when it comes to DOS!) I'd personally use the Kyro. I never really extensively tested that card for DOS compatibility but I never found a extreme failure with it (yes we have the same one, you too can build a near-perfect replica of my computer once you pair that with a M3D, a 233 and an AWE64)

Put the M3D in as an add-in for playing DOS PCX2 Tomb Raider. You won't regret it 😉

apsosig.png
long live PCem