VOGONS

Reply 20 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Since you can't find the TNT (BTW STAY AWAY FROM GEFORCE ANYTHING when it comes to DOS!) I'd personally use the Kyro.

Found the TNT. It's a ASUS AGP-V3400TNT. So, nothing Pro or Ultra...

So you say the best choice is the TNT?

BTW what's your system specs?

Reply 21 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I really like the Voodoo3's. Just remember the Voodoo3 PCI's can get pretty hot. I once tested one and the little VRM heatsink became too hot to touch even!

I'm pretty sure they were supposed to run just fine that way but I added a small 5cm fan next to it to cool it (used that iron wire stuff with plastic around it)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Personally I really like the Voodoo3's. Just remember the Voodoo3 PCI's can get pretty hot. I once tested one and the little VRM heatsink became too hot to touch even!

You bet! It's damn hot, but the regulator works up to 125ºC, so it's ok...

Reply 23 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I know 🤣, but I guess it just bothered me a bit that those heatsinks became soo hot, it actually discolored the pcb!!
And of all the graphics cards I own, the Voodoo3's are amongst those I hold most dear 😀

Reply 24 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I know 🤣, but I guess it just bothered me a bit that those heatsinks became soo hot, it actually discolored the pcb!!
And of all the graphics cards I own, the Voodoo3's are amongst those I hold most dear 😀

Same feeling here, mine are discolored too... 🙁

Reply 25 of 51, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't you use the AGP version? Much cooler.
I still have a Voodoo3 PCI 2000 and 3000 here, but have stopped using them at all.

Last edited by ux-3 on 2011-01-09, 23:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 27 of 51, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
ux-3 wrote:

Can't you use the AGP version. Much cooler.

That's true, but I just wouldn't want my PCI V3's to go to waste 😜

They heat up the case and tend to be a bit slower.

Regarding the thread, I don't quite see the point of building two machines really. Both can be done with one machine - especially since the older Dos games are ruled out.

I would like to remind all that a V5 or V3 can coexist with a V2 or V1 (if you figure out the details). You are only in trouble, if a V5 5500 is not fast enough for your win98 needs. Cause that card can still handle DOS pretty decently, while anything Geforce will just make you want your et4000 back. Leilelol pointed that out already.

You then have to choose between Slot1 and Socket A. Slot1 works well with a multi limited P2 and a faster P3, depending on your needs. If 1GHz is fast enough for all, you are set. 133 MHz will be your lowest clock with BX. Some have used LX chipsets with even slower clock speeds.

Last edited by ux-3 on 2011-01-09, 23:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
ux-3 wrote:

Can't you use the AGP version. Much cooler.

That's true, but I just wouldn't want my PCI V3's to go to waste 😜

They heat up the case and tend to be a bit slower.

Yes, but I think any system should have proper cooling anyway.
If a P4 can be cooled, then a P3/K6 with a V3 PCI should be no problem, right? 😉

Reply 29 of 51, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Yes, but I think any system should have proper cooling anyway.

I prefer it quiet.

Last edited by ux-3 on 2011-01-09, 23:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 51, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Socket A offers another tempting ability: Using an XP-M, you can boot anywhere between 500 and 2000 MHz. In Win98, you can throttle down to 300 MHz. And when you kill level 1 cache, the machine fakes a 286-486 quite well, depending on clock.

Reply 31 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ux-3 wrote:

The Socket A offers another tempting ability: Using an XP-M, you can boot anywhere between 500 and 2000 MHz. In Win98, you can throttle down to 300 MHz. And when you kill level 1 cache, the machine fakes a 286-486 quite well, depending on clock.

Well, i can put together an ASUS and a Athlon XP 2400 (i think it is) and the motherboard has win98 drivers. Only pci slots though... So, no SB AWE64 Gold... Can put dual Voodoo2 and a Kyro card, a monster MX300 with yamaha synth, but DOS games sound quality are affected by this.

So, there is never a "golden" build...

My best shot is the P2B, perhaps with an adapter to Socket 370 and i must find a good, fast p3.

My current setup is:

Asus P2B + P3 500MHz
256MB Kingston PC133
Hercules 3DProphet 4500 64MB + Voodoo 2 12MB
SB AWE64 Gold + Roland Sound Canvas SC-155
Adaptec SCSI + 10GB 10k rpm HDD

But for Win98 gaming it lacks horsepower...

Reply 32 of 51, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just wondering if you have any specific DOS games in mind for this?

some mid-90's DOS games that were made in a particular way will give runtime 200 errors on systems that are too fast. I believe Duke Nukem 3D was one of these games.
Fortunately there is a patch available for affected games.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 33 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

I'm just wondering if you have any specific DOS games in mind for this?

some mid-90's DOS games that were made in a particular way will give runtime 200 errors on systems that are too fast. I believe Duke Nukem 3D was one of these games.
Fortunately there is a patch available for affected games.

Turbo Pascal was the first programming language i learned. 😀

At that time best machines he had were brand new 486 DX2-66 with 8MB, 1MB Vesa... These replaced the old 386 school had. Those were the days... Lost vikings and Lotus...ahem, i mean, turbo pascal and cobol. 😁

Didn´t knew this kind of error. Thanks for pointing out.

Reply 35 of 51, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah right. I remembered having the runtime 200 error with some DOS games on a Pentium 2-266 and I thought Duke 3d was one of them, I did a quick google and it might just be the installation utility thats affected though. I'm sure there were others but I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 37 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Duke3D used Watcom C and isn't affected by that runtime error 200 crap.

Pascal is definitely one of those though, OMF2097 is one game that'll do it

I have One Must Fall right here. But this one doesn't make any reference to 2097... I'll give it a try right now.

Reply 38 of 51, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A ton of Sierra games also have issues initializing sound when your machine is too fast. Same goes for Dynamix games (Heart of China).

Disabling Cache fixes this (tested) and it's even reproducible through DOSBox.

So far I haven't found a game that doesn't load when L1 Cache is disabled even with 200+ MHz clockspeed.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 39 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

A ton of Sierra games also have issues initializing sound when your machine is too fast. Same goes for Dynamix games (Heart of China).

Disabling Cache fixes this (tested) and it's even reproducible through DOSBox.

So far I haven't found a game that doesn't load when L1 Cache is disabled even with 200+ MHz clockspeed.

So Larry games will be affected by this?