VOGONS

Reply 40 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Yes, but I think any system should have proper cooling anyway.

I prefer it quiet.

large case fans, good case fan openings (cut open with an electric saw if the holes are too small) and 7V or 5V adapters go a long way to making a system more quiet. Also the cooler temps inside the case will mean that, for instance, cpu fans will turn more slowly, as it doesn't have to work as hard to keep the temps low.

Sturdy, good quality cases help prevent resonating sounds, in contrast with some of the paperthin aluminium cases I bump in to regularly.

Proper cooling =/ not quiet, you know 😉

And btw, you can't really run a post-P3 system without a case fan anyway or heat will be a problem.

Reply 41 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know how frequent these errors are, but OMF2097 only crashed once after 2 fights.

It's too fast to play, but still i managed to do lots of fights without crashing the second time...

Reply 42 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

And btw, you can't really run a post-P3 system without a case fan anyway or heat will be a problem.

Well, Atom runs without additional case fans... 😉

Reply 44 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sprcorreia wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Well, Atom runs without additional case fans... 😉

Yes I know, but I was talking about proper cooling, and in the case of me building a system with a PCI V3, the extra heat it produces compared to the AGP V3 isn't an issue to me as I always build my systems to include proper cooling 😉
Even if building a P3 1Ghz, I'll try to mount at least 1 casefan to the system, even though the P3 1Ghz has like half the power consumption of an Athlon XP, and just 1/3rd that of a higher end P4 😉

I prefer to keep my systems cool and quiet, or at least quiet to a reasonable extent 😉.
Of course I won't be adding extra fans to a system that won't be needing it 😉

Reply 46 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found another game that refuses to run... GODS.

I know these are old DOS games... but it just shows that 2 different setups is the way to go.

Reply 47 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've decided. I'll setup one regular pentium for DOS.

What do you guys think is the best board from these i have?

QDI P5I430TX Titanium IB+ (Baby AT, love it, gives a true retro feeling)
ASUS P5A
EPOX EP-MVP3G2
An Intel HX motherboard with ATI Rage onboard
i have an unknown one (have to search for it, but it's no brand style)

Reply 48 of 51, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GODS runs great on my Super Socket 7 system. So any Pentium should be fine.

Did you disable L1 Cache when you tried GODS?

Whatever board you get make sure it has entries for L1 and L2 Cache.

Here are my results from a while ago. Once you disable Caches, the FSB and the type of CPU determine the final speed.

timemachinefsbscaling.png

Reply 49 of 51, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[quote="Mau1wurf1977"][/quote]

This data is very interesting. Thanks.

GODS works fine (except menu is too fast) in my Pentium 166MMX, but fails to launch in my P3 500...

Reply 50 of 51, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remembered one thing, if you build 95 on a faster cpu, there is a patch available from M$ in case you run into some unexpected particular problems:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192841

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 51 of 51, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:
ux-3 wrote:
Only pci slots though... So, no SB AWE64 Gold... Can put dual Voodoo2 and a Kyro card, a monster MX300 with yamaha synth, but DO […]
Show full quote

Only pci slots though... So, no SB AWE64 Gold... Can put dual Voodoo2 and a Kyro card, a monster MX300 with yamaha synth, but DOS games sound quality are affected by this.

So, there is never a "golden" build...

My best shot is the P2B, perhaps with an adapter to Socket 370 and i must find a good, fast p3.

My current setup is:

Asus P2B + P3 500MHz
256MB Kingston PC133
Hercules 3DProphet 4500 64MB + Voodoo 2 12MB
SB AWE64 Gold + Roland Sound Canvas SC-155
Adaptec SCSI + 10GB 10k rpm HDD

But for Win98 gaming it lacks horsepower...

The Via KT133(a) solves the ISA requirement. RG100 can tell you all about it. He has gone a long and enduring route, and I simply avoided all the agony he went through by picking up his final recommendation - if there is ever such a thing. So that option includes ISA sound.

Or swap your P2B for a P3B-F of Revision 1.4(?) or higher, and you can use P3s up to 1000 MHz.

You can prevent the Turbo pascal bug by clocking down under 266 MHz, which the P3B-F will let you do with an unlocked P2.

I would be tempted to try GODS on my retro rig - just to see if my "all in one" approach works. The game doesn't ring a bell though.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.