VOGONS

First post, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my siblings got an Pentium 133 notebook with 48MB RAM which runs Windows 95. He is going to wipe up the hard drive and reinstalled 95 from scratch, and decided to make it a web browsing station.

What kind of web browser and mail client which runs well on that kind of machine (and its old Win95)? It doesn't need fancy features, no Flash, no Java, but some basic web browsing.

Thank you.

Last edited by MatthewBrian on 2011-01-08, 07:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With those specs, I think you'd be much better off with Windows 98SE since that will give you support for most 802.11b and g cards and with a patch called KernelEx installed, you can also run current Firefox versions.

For Windows 95, I'm sure you can run older versions of Thunderbird. Eudora would also be a good app to consider.

Reply 3 of 9, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Alphakilo470 wrote:

With those specs, I think you'd be much better off with Windows 98SE since that will give you support for most 802.11b and g cards and with a patch called KernelEx installed, you can also run current Firefox versions.

I have editted my post - it is not 233 but 133Mhz.

It doesn't need any WiFi card as it will be connected into a LAN PCMCIA which is detected by Windows 95, so I think as far as it runs well, it is enough.

Mau1Wurf1977, older Linux (like 2.4 series) are having much issues. I tried installing DSL on a similarly spec'd machine and running Firefox is a pain. Tried to install Seamonkey, but compiling from sources are hard to do in this slow machine, and dependencies are getting harder. I prefer Linux for my newer machine though.

Reply 4 of 9, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a web browser perhaps seamonkey, k-meleon, opera 9

I remember Outlook Express 5 worked fine on a Pentium MMX 166 with 95B but its a bit old and you probably don't want IE or OE on that 95 install.

Seamonkey and Opera both have inbuilt email clients I think not that I've used either.

Reply 6 of 9, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Even on a 133mhz Pentium Windows 98SE will still run fine. I have Windows 98 running on my Mitsubishi tablet computer which has 48mb of memory and a 133mhz AMD 5x86 and all runs well.

However, Windows 95 might bring a little less clutter. There's some trade-offs but I still think 98SE would be the most useful OS just for being able to run current Firefox versions alone.

As for e-mail, Thunderbird 2 is my pick for Windows 98 and Eudora or Outlook Express if you use Windows 95.

Reply 7 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

do you purposely not want fancy features ?
if so basic browser it doesnt support flash, java, javascript, activeX or anything really. to some people thats an advantage
also it doesnt need to be installed

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 8 of 9, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Stick with Win95, though make sure you have OSR2 and get the various unofficial updates to go along with it. Get Opera 9 for the browser... I can't remember if 9.5/9.6 works on Win95 or not, but I know 9.27 does. Use the built-in adblocker, with Fanboy`s block list (and I recommend the element hider as well).

That setup was quite tolerable for web browsing on a P133/64MB machine I had. And "tolerable" is about as good as you're gonna get on that sort of machine.