VOGONS

My retro setup.

Topic actions

First post, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My setup is pentiumIII 500mhz 512mb ram ati rage pro (integrated) with 8mb video memory, the hard drive is a 800mb western digital. Sound card is a rockwell softmodem. The os is win95c. I'm looking for a cheap video card that will be capable of playing doom,quake and blood era games, any suggestions?

Last edited by dosquest on 2011-01-10, 05:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 49, by Alphakilo470

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it's 500mhz, then your computer sounds new enough to have an AGP slot. If so, then you won't have much issues, pretty much any AGP card will run your old DOS games fine. If you're getting a PCI card, I'd say make sure it has at least 4mb of video ram. My personal preference for the video chipset is ATI and Matrox though on this forum, I hear a lot of positive remarks about S3 products as well.

My Gateway 2000 system has an 8mb ATI Rage video card which seems to run with anything that supports Mach64 and runs all my old games like a charm.

Since you're running a GUI OS, I'd shy away from anything with less than 4mb. Anything with less memory will force you to pick between low resolution or low colors when in Windows.

Last edited by Alphakilo470 on 2011-01-09, 00:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 49, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine is a dell optiplex with ati rage pro 8mb! where did you get the drivers for it because I'm only able to display in 16bit right now (fresh install)

Last edited by dosquest on 2011-01-09, 04:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 49, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Mine is a gateway with ati rage pro! where did you get the drivers for it because I'm only able to display in 16bit right now (fresh install)

I believe that card is more than enough for those games... Do you have issues running them?

Reply 6 of 49, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

It says "this game requires 256 color please adjust your display"

Are you running them in a dos box? If so, you must go to Display Properties and change color depth to 256 colors. It's probably set to 16 bit or more...

So, 16 bit only... That's odd... Have you installed ATI drivers?

Reply 7 of 49, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I am running them on a windows95 computer non virtual machine running the above specs. When I try to adjust the windows display settings it says that my display driver is improperly configured.
Edit: I have not installed any drivers yet the drivers that are running are only the default auto detect drivers that are installed upon install of windows.

Reply 8 of 49, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

No, I am running them on a windows95 computer non virtual machine running the above specs. When I try to adjust the windows display settings it says that my display driver is improperly configured.

Well, no drivers for W95... But maybe win98 works.

Try these:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/legacy-98me.aspx

I think a still have old win95 ATI drivers CD's around here, not sure if they work with Rage Pro...

Reply 11 of 49, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

But, win95 doesn't support usb support and the file is over 2mb (way over) and this computer isn't configured for internet yet.

Simple. Burn the drivers to a cd...

Reply 14 of 49, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

But as for driver compatibility do win98 drivers work on win95?

It usually works the other way around. Just give it a try.

Reply 18 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, I decided to do a bit of googling and in the end came up with this:
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/se … =ati+rage&st=kw

It's the gateway site and appears to have the 95 drivers for the rage pro, amongst other drivers like the mach64.
Think this will work??

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!