VOGONS

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I found a pre-modded taulatin celeron 1.3GHz on ebay (guy also sells pre-modded PIII-S 1.4GHz) for a small sum, I have 2 Via Apollo Pro 133A mobos I can try this on. What are my chances of hitting 133MHz with PC133 ram? Everything on google seems to relate to the use of adapters.

The mobos I will probably use are a SOYO SY-7VCA2 or a MSI MS-6309 (MSI has bad caps that I need to replace along with caps on a Diamond Voodoo 1 card).

🤣, dunno what I'll do with that system as I already have 2 with PIII-S 1.4GHz systems for win98se already. I also just bought a bunch of 462 socket A mobos, another Voodoo 5 5500AGP, and a audigy 2 sound card! Too much spending.

Reply 1 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually, the slocket adapters are more likely to hinder overclocking, especially the cheap ones. This is because the additional copper traces in the adapter can cause some signals to go out-of-sync at higher clockspeeds if they are not all exactly the same length from the motherboard slot to the CPU socket.
So using the CPU in a socket rather than an adapter will probably make things easier.

Having said that, some slocket adapters had better voltage regulation than others, and I'm not exactly sure how that 'BX mod' compares in this regard.

That said I doubt you'll get much out of a Tualatin. They were near the end of the P3's lifespan, Intel even recalled early models of the highe speed Tualatins because they had stability issues with them. I've heard that you could sometimes get up to 1.6GHz out of a Tualatin if you were lucky. Depends on the chip you get and how hard its life has been (they are a few years old now after all).

Because these CPU's are mutliplier locked you are actually better off getting slower models if you want to overclock- you might have had a pretty reasonable chance of getting 1.33GHz with 133MHz FSB out of a 1GHz Tualatin, and you could probably push it even more, but a 1.3GHz Tualatin is going to be running at over 1700MHz at 133MHz FSB, and its pretty doubtful you'll get that far.

Reply 2 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

-snip-

He's using s370 boards, not Slot 1 boards 😉.

I think I know what he means with pre-modded. Iirc I've seen them on Ebay myself.
These are basically Tualatins with the pin-mod pre-applied so they work in non-Tualatin boards.

To get back to the OQ, if you want to overclock a Tualeron, look for one with a later stepping. The later they were made, the better your chances are at overclocking one 😉

Reply 3 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmmm, Thanks for the info!

I guess its all up to fate till I get the system running. I thought the P3 issue was all with the coppermine 1.13GHz, never heard recalls on the Taulatin units. Kyle Bennett over at hardocp had some article about it and I seen something on a wiki page abut that cumine.

If anything I can add it to a stack of cpu's I have aquired so far:
Socket 370:
2x PIII-S 1.4GHz Taulatin (one I'm using now!, other system built and ready for testing)
1x PIII 1.13 Taulatin
2x PIII coppermine 1GHz
1x PIII coppermine 1.1GHz celeron

Socket 7:
K6-2 550MHz
K6-2 500MHz
Pentium 1 166MHz w/MMX (oc'ed to 250MHz before!)

Socket A:
Athlon AXDA2000DKT3C (1.6xGHz?!)

Socket AM2:
Athlon X2 3600+

Socket 478:
Pentium 4 2.8GHz Prescott non-HT
Pentium 4 3.2GHz Northwood w/HT on rare PCI-E mobo with 7800GT

I have a few other cpu's like slot 1 P3, and s370 celeries, I think the celerons are dead and took out 2x Abit BE6-II mobos that fail to post 🙁

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 4 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
He's using s370 boards, not Slot 1 boards . […]
Show full quote

He's using s370 boards, not Slot 1 boards .

I think I know what he means with pre-modded. Iirc I've seen them on Ebay myself.
These are basically Tualatins with the pin-mod pre-applied so they work in non-Tualatin boards.

To get back to the OQ, if you want to overclock a Tualeron, look for one with a later stepping. The later they were made, the better your chances are at overclocking one

Yes, they are both 370 mobo's. My Slot 1 boards are dead.

The ebay chip is the pin modded.

His selling info seems conflicting, it shows Stepping B1, but then list it as a SL5ZJ which is s A1, crap. 🤣

The sellers auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I'm hoping it will do 133 atleast, then it will blow my 1GHz coppermine out the water 😀

Of course the PIII-S 1.4GHz I made sure were the latest TB1 stepping but not gonna pin-mod these myself 😀

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 5 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey RT, what boards are you running your Tualatin-S chips in btw?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These comments are largely off-topic, because @RT is using socket 370 mobos. However, some of this info may be vaguely useful. I did some overclocking experiments with various socket 370 chips. However, they were done on a slot 1 mobo, with an adapter. Here's a summary of the results -

cop: coppermine 100 MHz, cel: celeron 100 MHz, tua: tualatin 133 MHz, -> overclock the bus to

1.0 cop -> 124 (1239) = OK
1.0 cop -> 133 (1329) = system unstable

1.2 cel -> 133 (1595) = OK

1.4 cel -> 120 (1679) = OK
1.4 cel -> 124 (1746) = system unstable

1.4 tua @ 133 (1396) = OK
1.4 tua -> 140 (1469) = OK
1.4 tua -> 150 (1574) = OK

My guess is that a modded 1.3 cel won't be entirely stable @ 133 MHz, because >1.7 GHz is a bit too fast.

Reply 7 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, 1.6ghz is the practical limit for those chips. Sometimes you might get lucky and find one that'll do 1.7 or 1.8ghz, but even then it's pretty sure to require a significant boost in voltage. If you want 133fsb or more, best to hunt for a 1.2ghz chip.

Reply 8 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Taulatin

...I don't know if you're aware of this, but if you're having trouble finding information on these things, it might be because you keep spelling it wrong. (I've done the same thing before; it happens.)

Reply 9 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

Taulatin

...I don't know if you're aware of this, but if you're having trouble finding information on these things, it might be because you keep spelling it wrong. (I've done the same thing before; it happens.)

Well spotted 😉

And I agree with the 1.2Ghz being the sweetspot here.

Reply 11 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe that's what the mod he is referring to is for- allows you to run a Tualatin in a board that doesn't support them otherwise. Usually referred to as the 'BX Mod' but supposedly should work on other chipsets.

He's using s370 boards, not Slot 1 boards .

Yes I know, but he said everything he found on google related to using the slocket adapters. The point I was making was that using an adapter is more likely to hinder your overclock compared to plugging the CPU straight into the board.

Yes that's the BX mod 😉

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 12 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Hey RT, what boards are you running your Tualatin-S chips in btw?

Main system I've Been using is:
Gigabyte GA-6VTXE Rev 1.0 (Via Apollo Pro 133T, got off ebay with bad caps)

System I built up the other day:
ASUS TUSL2-C (Intel 815EP I believe. Bought it new back in the day.) Haven't Fired this up yet as I'm waiting on a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP and Audigy 2 to arrive.

Also waiting on some Kingmax PC-150 ram to arrive (4x256MB) from ebay 😀

Does VIA 133 even support Tualatins? My Abit VP6 doesn't and I found that out AFTER I bought a pair of 1.4ghz PIII's. Now I'm stuck using the 1ghz Coppermines that came with it.

The VIA Apollo Pro 133 and 133A will not without the socket adaptors or the BX-mod (pin modded).

On the seller site it shows it supports

Compatible M/B Chipset : 694X, 693A, 815, 815E, 815EP, 810E, BX, ZX, 810DC100, 693...

The 694x is a Apollo Pro 133A chipset. Which your Abit VP6 is a 694x. I believe dual socket requires PIII-S though, not 100% sure though.

The three apollo chipsets have some differences
*Apollo Pro 133 didn't work to great at 133MHz so the 133A chipsets replaced them. Most run ATA-66
*Apollo Pro 133T supports Tualatin, usually ATA-100 as well

You got me, I am spelling it wrong, but mainly looked at just a couple other forums and cpu-world. A user on cpu-world is getting 133mhz out of his 1.3 @ 1.65volts, still under the coppermine 1ghz 1.7v requirement! More so just wanted to see if others here at vogons have had success 😁

Oh, also messaged the seller, he is sending a B1 stepping, so my chances are getting better!

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Does VIA 133 even support Tualatins?

Only these do: Via Apollo Pro 133T, otherwise known as the 694T.
The 694X won't 😉 😉 😉