VOGONS

First post, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to test out several older video cards but can't seem to find the drivers for them. Back in the day I used DriverGuide website, but now every driver I try to get there just downloads some garbage application. I'm a registered member, but don't have a premium membership. Is that web site bogus now?

Is there any other web site that has latest drivers for older video cards?

Reply 1 of 16, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, i use driverguide and it's just fine.
You can try chip manufacturer. ATI, S3, Matrox, all have drivers for their legacy produtcs...

Reply 2 of 16, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to find a driver this weekend for an older Alliance Promotion video card (from 1997) I just picked up. I too had a driverguide account, but went I went to get the driver it just lead me to some spyware link and my virus scanner freaked.

I was like what the hell, I'll put it in my win98 computer and see what the program does. Nothing, seems Win98 is not supported.

After a couple hours of scrounging around on the nets, I happen across one using this.
http://globalfilesearch.net/index.aspx

specorreia, when was the last time you downloaded a driver from driverguide?

Reply 4 of 16, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sprcorreia wrote:
bushwack wrote:

Two days ago...

Are you a premium member? did you pay for membership?
I just went there, logged in and tried getting the driver for an i740 graphics card. Several drivers come up and no matter which one i try to download, it downloads some setup...something.exe file, not the actual zip file with the driver.

Reply 5 of 16, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:
bushwack wrote:

Two days ago...

Are you a premium member? did you pay for membership?
I just went there, logged in and tried getting the driver for an i740 graphics card. Several drivers come up and no matter which one i try to download, it downloads some setup...something.exe file, not the actual zip file with the driver.

Registered years ago, but not premium. I'll give it a try. You want intel i740 drivers? I can send you those... Have them on cd around here.

Reply 6 of 16, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel i740 downloads are working fine, just tested them... Perhaps you're clicking the wrong download button? The site is not very friendly with all those fake download buttons...

Reply 8 of 16, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps you're clicking the wrong download button? The site is not very friendly with all those fake download buttons...

Nah, I've run into the same thing, and quit even bothering with Driverguide because of it... there isn't a "real" download link for a lot of stuff, only the fake buttons linking to that EXE.

Reply 9 of 16, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried just tried to download a random i740 driver, even put in the recaptcha phrase in and still gives me that stupid setup. I wonder if it's because I'm using AdBlock PLus...

I have been using Adblock for a few years now, and recently got on a comp with out it. I saw that the internet is a sad place to be now, littered with so much garbage advertising. It's ridiculous... Thank you Adblock Plus, I can see the net for the way it was originally intended. 😊

Reply 10 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say that it's plainly obvious that Driver Guide doesn't want to be a good source of drivers as much as they want to get ad revenue.

I wonder if they sold out years ago and whoever bought them just wants to try to get money off of the traffic?

Reply 11 of 16, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I'd say that it's plainly obvious that Driver Guide doesn't want to be a good source of drivers as much as they want to get ad revenue.

I wonder if they sold out years ago and whoever bought them just wants to try to get money off of the traffic?

So I guess I'm not going insane.

The only good thing about the site now is that it will still show you the actual name of the driver file. You can then google it and might find it somewhere else.

If anyone knows of any other database type websites with drivers, please let me know.

Thank you all!

Reply 12 of 16, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finding drivers is turning out to be impossible these days. Even Google results now just point me to pages generated on-demand with fake downloads. I used to always go to DriverGuide, but now all you can get are those adware EXEs. There's really no good source to go to any more.

The OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 13 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Driverguide used to be excellent those days. It started out humbly with the intention of providing the largest database of computer hardware drivers. It provided accessiblity to anyone seeking help with the drivers.

Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to escape from the clutches of corporate mentality. Well, almost no one.

I just wish that Driverguide had followed the Wikipedia way. Fans, readers and followers of Wikipedia stand steadfast to remain behind it - people like you and me keeping it alive and healthy, and provide free, useful information and keeping all these accessible to everyone. (Raising 15 million dollars for a worlwide cause, is no small matter. But we did it!) The price of information and knowledge is .... priceless.

For the most part, Driverguide still provides the majority of drivers, contributed by the members, for free. But I'm not sure for how long that will remain as such. I was shocked to see after a few years, the yellow banners saying some files are only for paid/vip members, or, you can pay something to download the particular drivers. The ridiculous amounts of ads and misleading download buttons are not helping too.

Anyway, that being said, Driverguide is still useful.

Google search results will sometimes provide "cached" sites, which may lead to defunct ones.

You can also try from http://www.mpoli.fi/files/ for some hard to see drivers.

EDIT : Having said that, I must also thank deeply the Administrators and Moderators of VOGONS for keeping this site free of ads and other nonsense. This is a very useful site for a lot of us and me. And I respect them for that.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 16, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, Driverguide was fine until you had to have individual user accounts then it just went down hill.
This thought was even more true when one day I found there was a limit to how many drivers you could download in a day.

Reply 15 of 16, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently found and got some drivers from http://www.givemefile.net/drivers-page.html

Dunno how many files it really has but seems nice.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 16 of 16, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You know, I came here to post the very same thing about DriverGuide. Seems like it's nothing but a scam. All you can ever download is that stupid 1.3MB setup file. I even made the mistake of signing up for a free account on the off chance that I'd be able to access the real files. I had to wade through about 20 pages of "free offers" for all sorts of crap.