VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put a wildcat vp760 in a ga5ax [decided to rebuild my k6/3+ system].

VP760 is a universal AGP card so it boots up, goes into windows 98. But after a few minutes the screen turns to garbage and the system seems to reboot, but all I see is different kinds of garbage. Garbage as in a screen full of coloured blocks, flashing. Never get far enough to get the drivers across the network. The card works fine in say an athlon board.

Is this just the crappiness of early AGP implementations not being good enough for the card? Insufficient power? What do you reckon? It's not simply overheating as it did this even with the case off.

Reply 2 of 5, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It happens after logging into windows, in vga mode as the drivers for this card haven't been loaded yet.

When I exited to DOS for a while, it didn't seem to do it.

Last edited by ratfink on 2011-02-04, 17:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wondered that, so I took the case off. The card fan works so it shouldn't overheat in this any more than another system it's been used in recently, and there's a couple of empty slots next to it.

Reply 5 of 5, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also made sure the RAM chips don't overheat?
Happens occasionally that those get less tolerant when ageing.

Otherwise try some DOS based burn in (i.e. running quake/quake2 demos in a loop so the card has some major workload) and check if the problem persists.

Insufficient power _might_ be a possibility, but seems unlikely as the machine would usually reboot straight away.