VOGONS

Geforce FX Thread

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone have one of these? 😁 For some reason I am fascinated by them. They suck but there's something magical there. The chip is somewhat mysterious for one because it is at times as fast as the nearly-equally-awful 5600, which has led me to wonder if there is really much difference between NV31 and NV34.

Anyway one day I will own one. It's just a matter of being on ebay at the right time to succumb to an impulse buy!

Game video captures (Youtube)
Doom 3
Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion
Far Cry
F.E.A.R.
Half Life 2 DX8/9
Half Life 2 Lost Coast DX8/9

Last edited by swaaye on 2011-07-09, 18:10. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 259, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAAHHAHAAHAA. The FX series is the Nvidia "dork age".

gotta love the fake benchmarks ;D

I have a 5200.... one of the biggest regrets in video card purchasing history.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 259, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, the 5200 Ultra wasn't that bad of a card... it's the other variants of the 5200 that really gained it the reputation of epic suckitude, especially the crippled 64-bit versions.

Though I do seem to remember the Ultra's price put it in kind of a difficult spot, up against the Ti4x00 cards which were still on the market at the time...

Reply 5 of 259, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a 5200FX, then returned it and paid extra to get an ATI 9800. Gotta tell you thats the kind of step up I was expecting from my Geforce 3. The ATI 9800 one of the great all time 3d boards in my opinion...

Reply 7 of 259, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote:

I bought a 5200FX, then returned it and paid extra to get an ATI 9800. Gotta tell you thats the kind of step up I was expecting from my Geforce 3. The ATI 9800 one of the great all time 3d boards in my opinion...

Yup there's a difference between those two that's for sure. 😁 😁

Reply 8 of 259, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't think I have one, and I prefer the Radeon 9X00 over it anyway.
Apart from maybe the PCI version, is there anything special about the card?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 259, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

is there anything special about the card?

It's a legendary case of hype backlash with a lot of fanboy handwaving. "The way it's meant to be played" became the silliest defense ever.

I prefer the 9500 over it too... which stomps all over the FX lineup as a whole in both price and performance. ;D

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 259, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They are still on sale in my country

Those things you linked are still available here too, but do not confuse those with the original 5200... the only thing they have in common is the NV31 core. Those downclocked 64-bit cards would have been more appropriately named FX5100 or FX5000.

Reply 14 of 259, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got one of these. (Link to ebay advert featuring a Gainward FX5200.)

I'm not sure if this 128-bit Gainward FX5200 is an "ultra" model. There's a fan header, if you want to attach one. Or perhaps this is the "ultra" model, and the factory simply removed the fan, downclocked it slightly, and sold it as a "standard" model?

I really like it. It plays Quake 3 very well. OC's quite well too. The signal quality is very good, it's silent, doesn't eat up too much power (I think), and I think it's VESA 3.0 compliant. Great budget card. Really glad I've got one.

Reply 15 of 259, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

30 pounds? I'd buy one only for like €5 or so. They seem pretty limited compared to what I already have.
Worse is, I saw one for sale a couple years ago and it even had active cooling, yuk!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 259, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well of course the entire FX series sucks. I don't think anyone's disputing that! 😁 I have a FX 5900 Ultra running 500/450 and it gets its ass handed to it by a Radeon 9600 in Half Life 2 DX9 mode. I even tried Oblivion on it and its only barely playable at 640x480 with Medium settings. A 9700 Pro runs Oblivion probably 3x faster.

I think it was how there were three cards with the Ultra suffix that got me curious. 5200U, 5600U and 5800U. I think the 5200 Ultra performs like a GeForce 3 Ti 200 in DirectX 7/8 stuff. The 5600U like a GF4Ti 4200. And the 5800U, which they obviously clocked as high as possible, performs similar to a 9700 Pro as long as you keep DX9 games far away.

There are actually two different 5600U cards. They changed chip manufacturing after a bit and the later cards run 50 MHz faster (400 vs 350).
http://techreport.com/articles.x/5660

The FX series are actually quite nice cards for games before DX9. They have better and faster anisotropic filtering than the older GF cards (assuming you use drivers that don't cheat too much). They also have some interesting anti-aliasing modes but the Radeons have far superior MSAA (due to gamma correction and up to 6X vs 4X). And of course they have NVIDIA OpenGL quality, and some games also used NVIDIA specific extensions back then or were specifically developed on/for NV hardware (see Bioware).

Reply 17 of 259, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Man I used to have a Geforce FX 5600 XT which is actually slower than a vanilla 5600. I got that thing with my then new PC, a Celeron 2.4 and 256mb RAM. I know killer combo.
I remember quite fondly that a friend of mine had a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz and a GeForce Ti4200 and he enjoyed better performance. Half Life 2 autoselected DX 8.1 because it would work painstakingly slow in DX9. After a few years I got a Pentium 4 2.8 and a GeForce 7600gs and man was it an upgrade...

Funny story with those tech demos actually, a lot of them, if not all of them, refused to run with any other card other than an FX one. So Nvidia was bragging about Dawn and how it would only work on their cards because they had the best. That was until a bunch of hackers hacked it and managed to get it running on ATi hardware and it was actually running faster on them 😁

Reply 18 of 259, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Well of course the entire FX series sucks.

I was referring to the actively cooled FX5200 though, I never tried the midrange op highend version of this particular generation (The topic name was changed from FX5200-only to FX superthread since my previous post).

I think it's rather stupid to have a budget card with a small active cooler while a larger passive would be sufficient.
Imo not having an active cooler is probably the best thing about any lowend graphics card (apart from it's usually very low power requirements and low heat output).

Reply 19 of 259, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

Man I used to have a Geforce FX 5600 XT which is actually slower than a vanilla 5600. I got that thing with my then new PC, a Celeron 2.4 and 256mb RAM. I know killer combo.
I remember quite fondly that a friend of mine had a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz and a GeForce Ti4200 and he enjoyed better performance. Half Life 2 autoselected DX 8.1 because it would work painstakingly slow in DX9. After a few years I got a Pentium 4 2.8 and a GeForce 7600gs and man was it an upgrade...

Funny story with those tech demos actually, a lot of them, if not all of them, refused to run with any other card other than an FX one. So Nvidia was bragging about Dawn and how it would only work on their cards because they had the best. That was until a bunch of hackers hacked it and managed to get it running on ATi hardware and it was actually running faster on them 😁

Oh yes, I kinda remember this 😜

And anyone remember this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOVjZqC1AE4