VOGONS

First post, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Inspired by this thread over at queststudios, I wanted to know if that serial number ever existed "in the wild". While it has been widely accepted that the CT1320C (dated 1990) cards are considered as Soundblaster 1.5 cards, the only difference to the Soundblaster 1.0 is supposed to be the lack of preinstalled C/MS chips (the CT1320A has them soldered, the CT1320B supposedly has sockets with the chips inserted and the CT1320C has empty sockets)

As you can see here (picture by Amigaz), the CT1320A cards have the C/MS chips soldered in place, which would make it a SoundBlaster 1.0 by the definition of my "Das große SoundBlaster Buch" by Data Becker (some major distributor for budget software and pc related bookware in Germany).

Last but not very least, in the September 1988 issue of computer gaming world, there's a short mention of an upcoming sound card by Creative called the "killer card" which pretty much describes the Soundblaster (which wasn't out by that time yet). Now as we're extremely lucky, such a prototype has been found last year by a user called "Anonymous Freak" (who actually isn't that anonymous in case you're wondering/smelling a fake here [just in case]). Hi-Res scans of the front and back of the card are available. Once again we see nothing indicating a CT1310 but rather a CTT 1320 labeling. There's also an ad showing such a card with the brown/yellowish prototype PCB placing it right near a violin, a bunch of 5.25" floppies and a book/manual clearing indicating "Sound Blaster" around, which would go with my theory. Sadly said advertisement is too small to see an actual type number.

Considering the only actual mention of the CT1310 appears to be Creative Labs' website and no other information around, I do pretty much consider it a mishap on their website and false information on Wikipedia, unless there's other evidence of the existence of the CT1310 around. A possiblity I can't exactly dig into, would be that Creative used that number on the boxes, but as the earliest boxed card I have is a Soundblaster Pro II (CT1600) which yields a small sticker indicating "1600 xxxx" (xxxx being a bunch of random numbers), I can't exactly use that as possible proof.

Feel free to discuss and supply further information in case there is any.

(crossposted from vintage-computer.com forum)

Reply 1 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm what CT number does the CMS and Game Blaster have?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 3, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CT1300A (both of them actually)
One possible difference between them both might be that the C/MS has the chips soldered on, while they're socketed on the Game Blaster (might be wrong there, but I've seen both).

Reply 3 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just checked my 1.5 and it's a C version as well. It has a dodgy volume dial (needs pushing to hear both channels clearly), but otherwise it works perfectly.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel