VOGONS

First post, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well a few weeks ago I bought this board off ebay, seller said it tested fine but when I got it found that it was loaded with puffy caps. I installed new ones without trying the board out so I don't know how it was beforehand.

Afterwards just bench testing it, The fans would start but never had video or any beeps. I put the board away thinking it was trash. Fast forward to last night, I decided to put the board in the case and give it a shot. Still nothing at first but hit the Reset button a few times and what do you know, I got a long beep and 2 short ones. So that told me the the videocard was bad (ATI Rage POS card). Installed my Voodoo 5 5500AGP and tried to bootup. At first nothing but fans running on CPU/vid card. Reset hit 2 times and it started up with video!

I did default all bios settings then overchecked everything but anytime I shutdown and startup the system won't post. Only after a reset has been tried it will post.

So my question is has anyone else had this happen? the board does have the newest firmware in it appears (02/07/2002)

As of now that makes 2/2 working Pro133T and 2/2 Pro133A boards fixed 😀 , and 0/2 working i815EP B-step boards 🙁

Reply 1 of 5, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, didn't want to start a new thread but wanted to ask if anyone can run full CL2 speeds on these Pro133T chipsets?

So far I've tried Kingmax PC150 that will run 2-3-3-6 only (for some reason SPD reports it should only do 3-3-3-6), and now trying Crucial PC133 CL2 ram that is spec'ed at 2-2-2-6 but currently will only run 2-3-3-5! Something I need to do differently as it happens on the Epox EP-3VSA2 and Gigabyte GA-6VTXE.

Atleast the epox has selectable bank interleaving in the bios.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
Well a few weeks ago I bought this board off ebay, seller said it tested fine but when I got it found that it was loaded with pu […]
Show full quote

Well a few weeks ago I bought this board off ebay, seller said it tested fine but when I got it found that it was loaded with puffy caps. I installed new ones without trying the board out so I don't know how it was beforehand.

Afterwards just bench testing it, The fans would start but never had video or any beeps. I put the board away thinking it was trash. Fast forward to last night, I decided to put the board in the case and give it a shot. Still nothing at first but hit the Reset button a few times and what do you know, I got a long beep and 2 short ones. So that told me the the videocard was bad (ATI Rage POS card). Installed my Voodoo 5 5500AGP and tried to bootup. At first nothing but fans running on CPU/vid card. Reset hit 2 times and it started up with video!

I did default all bios settings then overchecked everything but anytime I shutdown and startup the system won't post. Only after a reset has been tried it will post.

So my question is has anyone else had this happen? the board does have the newest firmware in it appears (02/07/2002)

As of now that makes 2/2 working Pro133T and 2/2 Pro133A boards fixed 😀 , and 0/2 working i815EP B-step boards 🙁

Have you tried a different PSU?
Also, how are the caps looking? (unlikely to be the caps, but no hurt in checking, right? 😉 )

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 5, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gwb wrote:

Does this board allow for changing the FSB or the voltage?
Thanks

It does have FSB choices, but didn't check the voltage. As of the moment I have that build disassembled and changed out with a i815EP B-Step board.

Tetrium wrote:

Also, how are the caps looking? (unlikely to be the caps, but no hurt in checking, right? Wink )

Have I tried a diff PSU.....Nope. It's a Future Power 400watt that I've used in about 3 builds without issue and currently sitting with my i815EP board and working just fine so I've doubted being the PSU. I just got a couple 430watt PSU's and could give it a go.

As for the caps, yeah, most of them where bad when I got it. First thing I did was change all the of them BEFORE testing the board so I wouldn't damage the CPU. Thats when I discovered the reset trick. I was thinking maybe I used to big of voltage for some of the caps as all are the right microfarad spec. I wouldn't think going up about 10-20volts would screw it up though but possible I'd guess. I used mostly 1500microfarad at 16volts and 1000microfarad at 25volts. Originals were 1500mfd 6.3volt and 1000mfd 6.3volt.

I've used the same types on other boards like my Gigabyte GA-6VTXE, MSI-6309 without issue.

Reply 5 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
It does have FSB choices, but didn't check the voltage. As of the moment I have that build disassembled and changed out with a i […]
Show full quote
gwb wrote:

Does this board allow for changing the FSB or the voltage?
Thanks

It does have FSB choices, but didn't check the voltage. As of the moment I have that build disassembled and changed out with a i815EP B-Step board.

Tetrium wrote:

Also, how are the caps looking? (unlikely to be the caps, but no hurt in checking, right? Wink )

It's a Future Power 400watt *didn't read the rest*

This sounds like an El Cheapo brand.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!