VOGONS

radeon 9600XT artefacts

Topic actions

First post, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So got a 9600XT today and i got rid of the dust put it in and it didnt work but apparently it wasnt seated properly so then when it was seated properly it had artefacts from the start so no driver problems here.

artifacts9600xtverysad2.jpg
artifacts9600xtverysad.jpg

Apparently the oven is supposed to magically fix it if its not a memory problem on the card but I don't know hopefully someone else can say from the screen shots.

Reply 2 of 22, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its in an AGP 8x slot, AGP was working fine when I had a Radeon 9000 in it.
I haven't touched any of the voltage settings in the BIOS but that doesn't mean that they are right though.

Yeah UT was hard to start, but I think your right it is DM-Deck16][.
It was very hard to work out where I was going.

The board is a GA-GSG800 Rev 1.1
http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/product-p … spx?pid=1612#ov

Reply 4 of 22, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Under clocking RAM and core didn't seem to make fix it, maybe it was slightly better but I'm not sure it definitely wasn't right though.

The card seemed to be artefacting on another board as well one which doesn't have AGP 8x so I'm unsure what to do next.

Reply 5 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try oven baking the card, but otherwise the card is faulty.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's a memory problem (and it does look like it) then the oven trick isn't gonna do any good.

Looks like the card is toast, especially if you see artifacts during the boot process on more then 1 different board.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've fixed a couple 9700s that had this kind of problem by editing their BIOSs and downclocking the RAM from the moment they power on. It seemed like their memory controllers or RAM deteriorated over time. You can do this with the Rabit BIOS editor and ATIFlash for Windows or DOS.

That is the last thing that is going to help AFAIK.

BTW, about baking, DO NOT BAKE IT if it has any regular electrolytic caps on it. They will all blow up at around 110C which is well under the ~380F baking temp. I did this myself with a FX 5600.

Reply 8 of 22, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep it has normal electrolytic capacitors on it, guess that means I cant try using a hairdryer to heat it up either.

The artefacts weren't as bad as on the second board I tried but they were still there. I guess I'll try editing the BIOS later, just have to find those utilities some where. I'll have a for them look later.

Reply 9 of 22, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I'm not sure how to use atiflash properly to write the rom to file it seems to be taking forever like hours forever so maybe I'm doing soemthing wrong there hmm the file that is there after i restarted cause it was taking forever is only 8KB and I thought it was supposed to be 10KB?

Reply 10 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might want to try ATI WinFlash.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1919/ATI … h_2.0.1.13.html

It's also possible you need to use FlashROM instead. I think I remember using it with some old ATI cards.
http://flashrom.org/Flashrom

In DOS, the ATIFlash programming line is
"atiflash -p 0 bios.rom" (this programs video card 0)

Did you open the BIOS in Rabit? Did you use Rabit to download the BIOS from the card? Rabit will tell you if the BIOS is complete and valid.

Reply 12 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

What does that do? Won't that melt something?

I believe what it does it cure solder joints that aren't 100%.

Reply 13 of 22, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rabit doesn't let me download the BIOS from the card. I tired the option open EEPROM and it said it couldn't open it. Thats why I was trying to use atiflash to save the BIOS to file before I edited it, the attempt yesterday looks incomplete though.

Reply 14 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

What does that do? Won't that melt something?

I believe what it does it cure solder joints that aren't 100%.

Exactly that. It's one of those typical NV things 😜
(and yes, I'm an ATI fanboy 😜)

Reply 15 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awergh wrote:

Rabit doesn't let me download the BIOS from the card. I tired the option open EEPROM and it said it couldn't open it. Thats why I was trying to use atiflash to save the BIOS to file before I edited it, the attempt yesterday looks incomplete though.

ATI WinFlash can dump a BIOS.

GPU-Z can as well.

Otherwise also try FlashROM.

Just don't flash anything to the card unless you are sure it isn't corrupted or something. That is even less fun to fix. 😁

BTW, does the card display correctly in DOS?

Reply 16 of 22, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I KNOW THIS! if you don't get it to work I'm fairly sure it's bad connection on the vram we see it fairly common at work. We have special soldering station with heating iron that can re flow solder it does wonders for cards that do this kinda of stuff.

Reply 17 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

I KNOW THIS! if you don't get it to work I'm fairly sure it's bad connection on the vram we see it fairly common at work. We have special soldering station with heating iron that can re flow solder it does wonders for cards that do this kinda of stuff.

Seriously??
I'm interested to learn how this is done, and if it really works or not 😉

Reply 19 of 22, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheLazy1 wrote:

Cover the caps and other sensitive areas with tinfoil and go at it with a heat gun, worked for my brother's xbox 360.

Nailed it! are heating iron is slimmer version of the heat gun just in the iron shape and way more control over the heat we have knob and dial and can control in 1c increments. It's the same concept as baking in the oven, except for i think with the oven as most instructions say to bake it upside down you should in fact bake right side up.