VOGONS

First post, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Too rich for my blood. I guess the early 00s were the good ole days for things like this on eBay.

Disney The Sound Source external card BOX RARE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … T#ht_500wt_1072

This fellow has been listing a bunch of great sound stuff. BTW, he originally had 4 of these listed for $425 each. The fellow above, oldskoolgamer, has some good stuff too, but also wants good money for it.

Roland LAPC-I in Box

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-LAPC-I-/3005279714 … b#ht_500wt_1072

More from captainrolly, RAP-10, SB 2.0 Rev. 3, SB 1.5

http://shop.ebay.com/captainrolly/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

See his completed items from that page as well. He had a SCC-1 up for $99, that didnt sell. And he sold an SCC-1 early in January as well. Quite the collector. He must have been busy in the early 00s on eBay. 🤣!

Reply 3 of 22, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EscapeVelocity wrote:

Yeah they are expensive. But if you are in Europe, captainrolly can ship from Germany in a couple of weeks, so no customs duties. Though Im no expert on EU nation duties.

smelling something here. Gonna keep you updated.

Reply 4 of 22, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember for quite awhile Disney sound sources were listed on ebay for $10-25, this was before the switch in business model, which added the prevalent $200 DSS etc. type listings. Maybe it's what the market will bear but I doubt it, it's more like them trying to set a new price paradigm.

Reply 5 of 22, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EscapeVelocity wrote:

See his completed items from that page as well. He had a SCC-1 up for $99, that didnt sell. And he sold an SCC-1 early in January as well. Quite the collector. He must have been busy in the early 00s on eBay. 🤣!

FWIW I bid on that and soon after he cancelled my bid and ended the auction. No explanation.

Reply 8 of 22, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:
EscapeVelocity wrote:

Yeah they are expensive. But if you are in Europe, captainrolly can ship from Germany in a couple of weeks, so no customs duties. Though Im no expert on EU nation duties.

smelling something here. Gonna keep you updated.

Something fishy?

Reply 10 of 22, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ih8registrations wrote:

I remember for quite awhile Disney sound sources were listed on ebay for $10-25, this was before the switch in business model, which added the prevalent $200 DSS etc. type listings. Maybe it's what the market will bear but I doubt it, it's more like them trying to set a new price paradigm.

Yeah, and it sucks.

Reply 11 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Serious question: Would it be so hard to get someone to seal a box like that? Instant add in value 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 22, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

long story short ... i expect captainrolly to be some other sound card collector I briefly know, doing some _severe_ profiteering, as the guy I'm meaning just recently got a LAPC for $100 bucks (I actually messaged that guy to let me "step up" as it was a listing over at craigslist, with me being second in line ... and agreed ... only to buy it later anyways, outbidding me [even tho that page usually has a first come-first serve policy]) _AND_ is able to ship from Frankfurt, Germany at exactly the same location/date as captainrolly _AND_ already has 4 LAPC cards (5 with the $100 one). Seems to live in the same city as well ... needless to say I'm at least pretty annoyed, damn hoarders.

Just got this response and was asked to post this rectification ... so here we go.

1: I am not a hoarder. It just so happens that Roland LAPC-I cards come in various revisions. 2: I paid USD 150 for the LAPC-I & […]
Show full quote

1: I am not a hoarder. It just so happens that Roland LAPC-I cards come in various revisions.
2: I paid USD 150 for the LAPC-I & MCB-1 in CA + USD 42 FedEx priority shipping. You have to understand dealing with people through craigslist with pre-payment is highly risky: there is no return policy, no feedback system and most people on craigslist sell locally only.
3: Selling through eBay is very expensive (a high commission to be paid: especially on eBay USA) and shipping is also expensive. So that really eats away at the bottom line.
4: I spend a lot of time searching listings and on search engines.
5: I paid EUR 250 for a LAPC-I I acquired in Germany last year, EUR 150 for a LAPC-I I acquired in the Netherlands last year and EUR 200 for another 2 LAPC-I cards I acquired in the Netherlands las year. Converted to USD that is not cheap.
So I feel you are judging without taking the time to enquire. I have indeed acquired and sold many sound cards over the past couple of years but this is because like anyone else I am suffering from the current recession. Trust me: the # of hours I spend on this hobby off set any small gains I make on sales and that allow me to pursue my hobby.

Last edited by shock__ on 2011-02-24, 15:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 22, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EscapeVelocity wrote:
ratfink wrote:

🤣
listing has been removed

Its still there. Do a search for the terms "Sound Blaster 2.0 Collector Condition"

Ok, I see it. Clicking on your link still gives a "no longer listed" response though, maybe it's an ebay problem.

Reply 17 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

Build your own with a buck worth of resistors?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covox_Speech_Thing

Cool!

They mention Kings Quest and Space Quest. I wasn't aware that these games supported the Covox...

Also there are are some Aztech cards that are compatible to Covox, and I always wondered how they sound.

Shame nobody seems to make recordings of these devices...

Reply 18 of 22, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got a copy of Return to Zork on CDROM for christmas in 95 I think it was, and this came with it:

IMG_0459.JPG
still got it today as you can see 😀

I think this is just another variant of the covox. I had a sound card already so I wasn't worried about it.
The card I had was an Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro which I believe is one of the ones that could emulate covox- although I never bothered to try.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 19 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would love to hear a recording of that Aztech card in Covox mode!

Or a list of which Aztech cards have that compatibility. There are a ton all over ebay, but have no idea what to look for! Documentation about these cards is impossible to find.

Found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN30QELXiZw