VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't contributed much lately. At least regarding testing and documenting new (old) stuff.

Got this Media Vision card and I need to:

1. ID the thing

2. Find drivers

High Resolution picture here:

dsc02181zr.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Top left it mentions: FCC ID:IWX-PAS16

However on the internet there are references to PAS 3D, Premium, Jazz and others.

There are hardly any jumpers, so I assume it's PnP and has an EPROM or something like that. There is a OPL3 chip at the top left nand it has a SCSCI interface.

Akula65 posted some drivers in this thread:

Mediavision Pro Audio 3D

So I will give them a go and see what happens.

EDIT: These drivers are for Windows 😒

Reply 2 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

3 bucks...

Hoping someone has that driver already...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 25, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oops ... thought that one was for free.

Anyways, this is from the Pro Audio Studio (which is basically a PAS16 with more software added) ... using that one myself.

http://rapidshare.com/files/449559779/1.zip

Reply 4 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah thanks, that worked!

I put all the files into a single folder. I like the install option, you can "just" init the card. I set it up as PAS only (no SB emulation) and Descent picked it up right away. So did SQ4 and Pinball Fantasies.

FM is fine, but the speech was way to fast (like fast forwarding a cassette).

RG100 had the same issue. Now I disabled all the caches, but I think this card uses the CPU clock speed or something like that. Haven't got anything slower to test really...

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Message to Cloudschatze: […]
Show full quote

Message to Cloudschatze:

Re: "Try a DMA setting of 3 or 5, along with IRQ 7."

Using the PAS16 install.exe utility, I tried these values, and also a lot of other combination values as well. Unfortunately, whenever I use the PAS program called "play.exe" located inside the c:\proaudio folder to play the test file called "test.wav", it always sounds much too fast.

I also tried running this PAS program - "playfile.exe", but it displays the following error message -

A Pro AudioSpectrum /CDPC card is not installed!

Please note that if the PAS16 sound card is just a "sound effects" card, rather than a musical card (like a GUS for instance), then I am not interested in spending too much time in trying to get this to work.

I have a MediaVision PAS 16 sound card with SCSI cd rom interfact (originally sold as the Pro16 Multimedia System Upgrade Kit). […]
Show full quote

I have a MediaVision PAS 16 sound card with SCSI cd rom interfact (originally sold as the Pro16 Multimedia System Upgrade Kit). This card has worked wonderously for me for 6 years and I never even thought about replacing it.

But I recently upgraded the processor in that old Pentium 120 to a AMD K6II - 450MHZ 3D processor.

Now sounds and videos playback extremely fast, like 4 or 5 times normal speed. And my system no longer recognizes my 2nd cd rom drive (attached to the media vision card). Here is my configuration, can anybody help?
http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=8839

RG100 Did you ever mange to solve this puzzle?

I guess the PAS16 expects a real 386?

Reply 6 of 25, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

RG100 had the same issue.

I remember that. At that time, I tried Cloudschatze's recommendations, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem, and the problem I was having may have been related to the speed of my machine. And at that time, I didn't have anything slow to test it on - not even a 486. Now, I have a 386 and also a 486, but my PAS16 is somewhere in storage, and unfortunately I haven't got the time right now to find it and retest it. However, I will one day.

Reply 7 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I now configured the PAS16 again. This time, as PAS + Soundblaster. And in Descent and SQ4, if I select Sound Blaster for Sound, the speed is now correct.

The music portion of the PAS16 is just like any other OPL3 card. It just works. I doubt there would be any audible differences between the digital audio of PAS and Sound Blaster mode?

Where there any PAS cards without Sound Blaster compatibility?

I also bought a new Camera today (Canon A395) because my old one gives me black or white pictures when using the flash. Then I got home and realised I forgot to grab a SD card 😢

Might get one from ebay. They are a lot cheaper.

Reply 8 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe the original PAS didn't have SB compatibility, but the PAS16 and later models did.

Can you maybe do a recording of an SB pro and a PAS16 for comparative purposes?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 9 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sure!

SB Pro recordings are already out and about. Just need to find my past posts 😜

Ran into an issue with Space Quest 4. Whenever there is a digital sound effect or speech, the volume goes down. But if there is just music, it's really really loud.

Another thing I noticed is that Space Quest 4 has Stereo Music with the PAS option! Whereas if you select Sound Blaster, it's just standard Mono. There are no Options for Sound Blaster, Pro or 16...

Will supply recordings of Monkey Island 2 (FM) and Wing Commander 2 (FM + Speech).

Reply 10 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I give up, I can't attach the files...

The file is .mp3 and less than 5MB, so I don't see why it wouldn't work 🙁

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 25, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I give up, I can't attach the files...

The file is .mp3 and less than 5MB, so I don't see why it wouldn't work 🙁

Server problem? There's a fairly recent thread in Milliways by Snover about the new server for Vogons...

Reply 12 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It has never worked well for me. Sometimes when I try 10 times it goes through...

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you directly click on them? I have mediafire, which is great, but it takes you to a site which makes it a little bit harder for people to quickly access stuff.

Another site to sign up 🙁

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 25, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, you get public and private folders, you can directly link to anything in your public folders. The SC-55 and XR385 recordings I did were hosted on dropbox 😀
Some people have even run a website out of dropbox, just set up their domain name to redirect to the dropbox address.

There's a client to let you manage your dropbox from your PC or you can just do it through the web interface.

Basically, its almost very nearly as good as having your own webserver 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 16 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I'm to lazy to sign up for ANOTHER site 😵

PS: Had to sign up last night for Yahoo / Channel 7 so I can post a comment on "My Kitchen Rules" 😊 Holly well travelled my arse...

Here are the MI2 and WC2 recordings:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gntpl1gb8tg23tp

Comments: MI2 the fire crackling bit is very very short. Not sure if this is a Sound Blaster or OPL3 thing however...

Very quiet card, there is some hiss, but its clean and constant.

Reply 17 of 25, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

RG100 had the same issue. Now I disabled all the caches, but I think this card uses the CPU clock speed or something like that. Haven't got anything slower to test really...

I have one too, and it's a rather simple solution (or requirement).
This card clearly uses -5V rail. Newer PSUs don't have that rail. Try with an old PSU and you will get it to work in PAS mode.

Reply 18 of 25, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It did work fine in my 486 and yes, that one does have the -5V rail (The SB 2.0 also has this requirement).

Still, the speed issue is documented and was well known by PAS. It even has a driver flag for this, but it didn't do anything on my Pentium machine 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 19 of 25, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It did work fine in my 486 and yes, that one does have the -5V rail (The SB 2.0 also has this requirement).

Still, the speed issue is documented and was well known by PAS. It even has a driver flag for this, but it didn't do anything on my Pentium machine 😀

Mine always worked ok, because it was in a 486 machine. But i wanted to move to a more recent cpu and i got the problem you mentioned. The only thing that the pc was missing was -5V rail. When i changed PSU, everything was normal again. I never noticed any speed issue with mine...