VOGONS

3D Labs Permedia 2

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Color palette bug is usually caused by PCI overclock or other incompatibilities.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 24, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have still bug with same cards, on multiple systems, it seems to be SW error, i dunno how it is excatly working, but my guess that some cards news some extra care, used implementation is not working with them. Because its wrong only with some games.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 22 of 24, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2011-02-27, 20:08:

I wouldn't be surprised if a NVIDIA TNT became a better choice for even professional apps though. TNT is several times faster than Permedia 2 and NV rapidly put together a superb OpenGL driver.

Sorry but that's BS. Nvidia sucked OpenGL up to Geforce2 days (more or less). You can try now with the drivers were available at time (no patches or newer detonator driver cheating), and you will see it. Sure TNT benefited from the driver fixes who came later, but wasn't until then it got a decent non-bogus openGL support who could be used with pro applications, many years after Permedia was out of the game and buried.

Ofc if we talk about D3D, then is a different story. TNT is mainly a Direct3D designed GPU, and with DirectX it performed in the levels we know (aka, games ofc).

Reply 23 of 24, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2021-01-21, 17:09:
I just added this card to my Dos benchmarking project.. Old+Modern videocards pure DOS benchmarking- which one is fastest?, need […]
Show full quote

I just added this card to my Dos benchmarking project..
Old+Modern videocards pure DOS benchmarking- which one is fastest?, need your numbers + analysis, 320x200 to 1600x1200!

Q2DOS has bad color pallete problem, as some other cards, i already reported that, but i doubt that they will ever fix..
2021-01-21 18.05.13-Q2DOS-Permedia2-BrokenPallete.jpg

whatever your PC had, I'd like some of that.

Reply 24 of 24, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its just normal SS7 K6-2+ 500MHz, ALI chipset, 128GB cheap SSD , 768MB of RAM and MS-DOS 7.1 From Windows 98.. and im changing video cards for testing.. with one support old AGP cards with 3.3V, for same thing im also using some S370 PIII 1.4.. other testing is done, on VIA PT880 + Core 2 Duo and frankenstein 4CoreDual-VSTA AGP + PCI-E board. Autoexec and Config, ale almost the same on all machines and proven with other cards.

Regarding my matrix, broken pallet i found at at least with these cards, other 100+ cards was fine..
Radeon X1300 PCI-E (Gigabyte)
Radeon X1600 PRO
Matrox G200 AGP 8 MB - 1024x768
other X1300
Radeon X1950
Permedia 2 AGP 8MB
But for example Radeon X300-X800 and Radeon 2000,3000,4000,5000,6000,7000 were fine. With whole X1300-X1950 line is probably something incompatible.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.