VOGONS

Quick ISA GA card roundup

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good scores. Shows that the board and maybe BIOS settings do play a role. The main thing I was looking for is show the differences (rather than absolute scores).

You get them as well, so when it comes to DOS Gaming on ISA, the choice of ISA VGA card makes quite a difference. Would love to know what the ET4000 scores in your system!

Reply 22 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Compared to AGP? Yes, somewhat. An ISA card would make a larger impact however.

In my case the fps went from ~ 150 (AGP) to ~ 40 (ISA).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 23 of 48, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the ISA bus moreso than a crappy card. ISA slots are slim though. Im thinking I should have gotten the Asus P5A-B or FIC 503+ AT board, instead of the ATX board. They have 3 ISA slots to the normal Super7 ATX boards 2 ISA slots.

Reply 24 of 48, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on the board, my Iwill SS7 board is ATX and comes with 3 ISA slots.

But a PCI card should also slow things down, not sure what's a crappy one though...

Reply 28 of 48, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im wondering how these 3DBench scores are relevant to 2D cards.

Um... because 3DBench measures 2D speed. Or at least certain specific aspects of 2D speed.

I think you're not understanding what the program does. It's not like modern 3D benchmarking... back when 3DBench came out, 3D was done with software rendering and displayed through 2D cards... 3D accelerators didn't come along until later.

Reply 29 of 48, by EscapeVelocity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ha! Ha!

So early 90s 3D games wont be accelated by the fancy cards that came in the late 90s....as they werent written to 3D standards or directly for the 3D accelerator chips.

Reply 30 of 48, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Would love to know what the ET4000 scores in your system!

Well, apparently not so good... exactly the same as Elsa Winner 1000 - here we have:

- Diamond SpeedStar VGA (ET4000AX, 512KB): 50.0
- Diamond SpeedStar 24X (WDC, 1MB): 58.8

Would an extra 512KB improve things for ET4000AX? I intend to look for those anyway...

Reply 32 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Does anyone else find it strange that a program called 3DBench is used to test VGA cards that can't do 3D?

Maybe back in those DOS days it just sounded "cooler". Remember, noone saw the whole 3DFX revolution coming 😉

I mean, they used to call the newer machines "Multi Media PC's". Wow, what a name!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 48, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Does anyone else find it strange that a program called 3DBench is used to test VGA cards that can't do 3D?

not really... it IS doing 3D graphics, using the methods available at the time

Plenty of old DOS games used to render polygons for their graphics, and did it all on the CPU... of course they were often flat coloured surfaces and not textured, but it was still 3d graphics 😀

Reply 34 of 48, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Plenty of old DOS games used to render polygons for their graphics, and did it all on the CPU... of course they were often flat coloured surfaces and not textured, but it was still 3d graphics 😀

Like Stunts!
Oh man, the countless hours it waisted!
And indeed, it was 3D and no textures whatsoever. Grass was just 1 large green area 😁
But the gameplay...absolutely fantastic!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 35 of 48, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

You need to play 4D Sports Driving to see the 3D we are talking about. 😉

Reply 36 of 48, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Like Stunts! Oh man, the countless hours it waisted! And indeed, it was 3D and no textures whatsoever. Grass was just 1 large gr […]
Show full quote
DonutKing wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Like Stunts!
Oh man, the countless hours it waisted!
And indeed, it was 3D and no textures whatsoever. Grass was just 1 large green area 😁
But the gameplay...absolutely fantastic!

I believe it's the same game we are talking! We pratically answered at the same time! When i think of old 3D these names just pop right out, and the other one is 4D Sports Boxing.

Reply 37 of 48, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes stunts was an awesome game!
Especially with the track editor, made so many awesome tracks...

Another one I used to play was called 'Strike II', you had a rear third person view of a ship and you flew around destroying things, trying to earn money to buy upgrades etc

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 38 of 48, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
sliderider wrote:

If it's all done on the CPU then isn't 3DBench more a benchmark of the CPU than the video card? Would it matter at all what video card you use if all the work is done by the CPU?

Reply 39 of 48, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The graphics card does have an effect- just check the 3dbench database thread on these forums 😀

Often merely swapping graphics cards can make the same systems results change dramatically.
It does seem to be a more CPU-oriented benchmark but even if all the calculations are done on the CPU, often the graphics card can't push the pixels to the screen fast enough to keep up and so brings the score down.

The difference is even more noticable at higher resolutions as video performance, rather than raw CPU power, becomes the bottleneck. Using PCPBench at 640x400 or above, the results differ even more wildy just by swapping video cards, even though all the graphics are still rendered by the CPU.