VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen two different configurations of this card. One has 256mb and a 128-bit memory controller and another has 512mb and a 64-bit memory controller. Which would be better?

Reply 1 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I've seen two different configurations of this card. One has 256mb and a 128-bit memory controller and another has 512mb and a 64-bit memory controller. Which would be better?

IMHO, avoid all 64-bit graphics cards where there is a 128-bit alternative. The 64-bit version will typically be a budget OEM version, and it will be slower than its 128-bit couterpart. Just out of interest, why are you going for a PCI 6200?

Reply 2 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

IMHO, avoid all 64-bit graphics cards where there is a 128-bit alternative. The 64-bit version will typically be a budget OEM version, and it will be slower than its 128-bit couterpart. Just out of interest, why are you going for a PCI 6200?

For a machine with onboard graphics and no AGP or PCIe slot.

Reply 4 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just don't get a Radeon for old games. Voodoo3/4/5 are best but TNT/GeForce are second best in my experience.

If the box is going to be playing a lot of Unreal Engine games, get a Voodoo for sure.

Reply 5 of 12, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a couple PCI 6200's, of the later 64-bit NV44 variety. I'm not sure how they compare to the 128-bit ones, though from what I've read, it's supposedly not as big a difference as you might think. I do know that they're quite fast for PCI cards... definitely in a completely different class than any of the older Voodoo cards and whatnot, if you're planning on running any newer games on it.

Reply 6 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another thing to consider is that if it's going to be used only for Windows 2D then it really won't matter at all which you get. In fact, in that case, the IGP is more than adequate.

Reply 7 of 12, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Another thing to consider is that if it's going to be used only for Windows 2D then it really won't matter at all which you get. In fact, in that case, the IGP is more than adequate.

The IGP is S3 Virge or something like that. Good enough for the GUI and older games but not for later stuff. The GeForce 6 supports DX9.0c and still has driver support for Windows 98. The 6200 is the only model available in PCI. Just wondered for the later stuff if it was better to have more texture memory on a slower bus or less texture memory on a faster bus.

Reply 8 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a tendency for the lower end cards to come with a lot of slow RAM. It's cheaper apparently and it helps them sell because a lot of shoppers look for the RAM capacity and judge almost solely on that.

Reply 9 of 12, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second the notion of the 128 bit card with the smaller 256 ram. Any game that would require 512mb would just bog down that 6200, not to mention choke on that 64 bit wide bus.

How bout you buy both and post up your findings? 😁

Reply 10 of 12, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an owner of both 128 bit (NV43) and 64 bit GF6200 (NV44a) cards I can vouch that the difference in performance is not that dramatic. On a PCI bus, both won't make any difference. My personal experience is that GF6 series cards don't work too well with Win98 drivers- so this coupled with the PCI bus means you're better off looking for an older card, something like a Voodoo or GF MX.

Reply 11 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I will skip this one (unless one gets thrown in my lap for free that is.........anyone!?! 😁 😜).
But anyway, could still chain a Voodoo 2 to that lil bugger 😀.

Offtopic:sgt76, looking at your avatar, think you could come here and cut my hair? 😁

Btw, when comparing the 6200 PCI to a GF2MX/GF4MX PCI, would the latter be a better solution when it comes to it's usability in 9x?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 12, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Offtopic:sgt76, looking at your avatar, think you could come here and cut my hair? 😁

You want just the haircut or the mutagens too? 😁

Tetrium wrote:

Btw, when comparing the 6200 PCI to a GF2MX/GF4MX PCI, would the latter be a better solution when it comes to it's usability in 9x?

I would think the latter for Win98. I tried long ago to use a 6200 under Win98, was a hair tearing experience. Musta tried about a dozen various drivers, no luck. Though maybe my skills are just not 1337 enough?