VOGONS

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys, after reading a lot about these Aureal cards, I decided to buy one. I got the Videologic Sonic Vortex 2 and I even managed to strike a good deal (5 pounds shipped 😁). So naturally, I installed it on my Retro system using the 2048 reference drivers. I got a message saying something along the lines "your sound card is not connected to your primary PCI port. Due to this Sound Blaster emulation, Gameport support and MPU401 might not work". Then thing is, the driver for the above things would not install at all. I didn't really bother yet, I thought I just had to install the card to the first PCI slot, so I just ignored it at the time.
I played Jedi Knight and Half-Life using the card but the 3D effect wasn't really working, despite that it was working on the A3D Demos (I think). I tried using headphones, same stuff, it just wasn't working correctly. Jedi Knight had sounds fading and stuff and Half-Life made absolutely no difference from the vanila "2D" sound.
I then read that the PCI slot thing is a chipset related problem. Intel chips like the i810 and i815 produce this bug and to avoid it you have to remove a semicolon from one of the inf files in order to disable Bus Detection.
So I did just that, reinstalled the drivers and I was ready to be blown off. 3D sound did the same thing, but now I could normally use my daughterboard and Soundblaster FM synthesis and Digital Effects. However, each and every time I tried to boot into Win98 DOS, the system would hang with a blinking DOS cursor. At one point I tried to shut the computer down normally and the system would hang at the "Windows 98 is shutting down" screen.
I tried using a completely default autoexec.bat and config.sys. Same result. I tried using 2041 and 2050 drivers. Same stuff. What the hell is wrong!
🤣

My system is a Pentium 3 1GHz on an Asus CUSL2, 256MB RAM, a GeForce2 Ti, Voodoo 2 SLI and the Vortex 2 card. Oh and Windows 98SE

Reply 1 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I might know what's wrong. I hope this helps anyway: I understand that you are using a GF2 video card, and that your sound card is inserted in to PCI slot number 1. And your GF2 is an AGP card. The AGP port and PCI slot number 1 share the same IRQ. It's important not to use PCI slot number 1 for a typical sound card, because of this reason. Try the sound card in PCI slot number 2. A great place to put one of your Voodoo2 cards is in PCI slot number 1, because it needs no IRQ! 😀

Reply 3 of 11, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No the Sound Card is not on PCI Slot 1. It's on PCI Slot number 4 or 5 actually.
Thanks for the advice though!

Reply 4 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've run into this problem on occasion before too... not all PCI slots are created equal 😀
Often its not just slot 1 that has a shared IRQ, sometimes there are other slots that do it too.

I've just had a look at your manual and on page 28 it explains the the slots that share IRQ's.

The manual is here http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/1/cusl2-102.pdf
For this board it appears that slot 1 and 5 share an IRQ; slot 3 shares with USB; slot 4 shares with LAN, while 2 and 6 do not share IRQs.

So I'd try moving your PCI cards around so one is in slot 2, one is in slot 6, and either slot 1 or 5 is populated (not both).
In the BIOS I'd make sure you have disabled everything to do with onboard audio (if applicable) and also if you aren't using usb keyboard/mouse, disable legacy USB.
Also, another thing to try, find what IRQ your sound card is using and in the PnP settings in your BIOS set that IRQ number to Reserved. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS installed for your motherboard.

Reply 5 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well typically there is a lot of IRQ sharing. For example, 440BX only has 4 IRQs available for PCI and AGP together. USB is on one of these too as are any other integrated PCI devices like a sound chip or RAID controller. Every other PCI slot shares and PCI slot 1 shares with AGP. If there's a sixth PCI slot it will be a slave slot without busmaster support due to a 440BX PCI limitation and you can only use some cards in it.

It's not a big deal and you don't lose performance unless you stick two very busy devices together. Some cards just don't get along because they aren't properly designed or the motherboard isn't well designed. I'd make a list but I've seen problems with just about every type of card so there's no point. 😉

For example, this is how a Abit BF6 works:

Reply 6 of 11, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had similar issues. Did the MPU401 and SB pro emulation install after you fixed the correct file?

You are supposed to remove the drivers completely then install the modified drivers you just did. I took an extra step and used driver cleaner 2.7 to remove the drivers. After I installed again the other items installed and Dos was working for me.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 7 of 11, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I tried all of the above with the same results. I tried installing the card to Slot 6 and assigning the IRQ I found in Windows manually to the Slot. Same shit.
Yeah RogueTrip, I even formatted the Hard Drive and made a clean install of Win98SE just to make sure.

Btw, I've got the latest, non beta bios.

Reply 9 of 11, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nah, I don't think the card is the problem. I managed to make DOS work perfectly, by reserving IRQ 5 and IRQ 11 in the BIOS.
It doesn't hang anymore which is nice. I'm not really THAT interested in 3D sound, but since I've been hearing so much about it on the Vortex 2 I'd like to see what the fuss is all about. Otherwise, DB50XG Midi playback and nice DOS support is fine for me.

The thing that bugs me is that the 3D demos work and they sound quite nice. The only game I found to be working properly(I think) is Populous III, but since it's a strategy game, the 3D effects weren't all that great.
Let me recap and add a few other games to the list:

Half-Life : Sounds almost the same as non-3D
Jedi Knight : A lot of sound loss, 3D effect just doesn't work
Need For Speed III (through EAX support) : Same as non-3D
Rayman 2 : Installed a supposed A3D sound patch, music doesn't play at all, no 3D effects
Populous III: Seems to work fine with 3D effects
Shogo M.A.D. : 3D effects seem to work ok, but they do feel shallow, maybe it's just me
Blood II : 3D effects seem to work ok, but they do feel shallow, maybe it's just me
Unreal : 3D effects don't work

I should note that I'm using the latest drivers and patches, as well as the latest A3D driver.

EDIT: Ok wow, I tried Jazz Jackrabbit 3 Alpha just for fun and the effects work on it and sound great. So let me get this straight, a game in Alpha state works better than all released games with patches?
Hilarious...

Reply 10 of 11, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you try the card in another motherboard?

Half Life has A3D 2.0 support and is probably the best use of it. But you have to get to certain action-packed areas to notice the effects. Although the low fidelity of the sound samples kinda sucks. They sound like 22kHz at best, maybe 11kHz even. Half Life felt kinda behind the times in a lot of technical ways.

JK has A3D 1.0 support and this does give the game a bit better atmosphere.

The NFS A3D is interesting too. Be sure to turn on the geometric reverb option in the Aureal control panel. This provides environmental effects like EAX too.

Unreal's 3D audio has never worked well in my experience.

In my opinion, the highlight of Vortex cards is their 2 speaker spatialization. The effect sounds like you are encompassed by audio. It was definitely the best 2 speaker audio of the time. The A3D 2.0 effects are neat in some games too but they are rare and they were very demanding on the CPU.

Reply 11 of 11, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nah I can't use it on another PC unfortunately 🙁.
Oh well, I can't say I really care anyway, DOS is working fine and I've finally got some awesome MIDI with the DB60XG attached on the card.
That's all I need 😁