VOGONS

First post, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought an Ensonique Opus sound card on ebay (isa) also known as Gateway 2000 OEM card.
I used drivers found at vogons but there is a strange problem with the card
Card plays music with a half of a speed (foobar, winamp, media player ) ???? like with the old gramophone record played with the wrong speed 😀 its was kind of a fun at the beginning but now i would like to know what causes this problem
did anyone had similar problems with this or other card ?
I use win98se pc has 256 mb ram 1 ghz celeron directx 8. other sound cards ISA/PCI works correctly and my motherboard has got just one isa slot.
Any idea anyone ???

Reply 1 of 18, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a strange problem. I've seen it once before with another sound card and I never figured it out. Something is causing the sound card to play sample rates incorrectly. It could be card damage, motherboard incompatibility or perhaps driver problems.

If you're only using it for Windows, you really could just use a different card. Those Ensoniq ISA cards are not very good Windows cards. The drivers are ancient and aren't well designed for DirectX. ISA cards also cause a lot higher CPU utilization than a PCI sound card.

The Ensoniq AudioPCI is better for Win9x. But something like a SBLive! or Vortex 2 would be best.

Reply 2 of 18, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

That's a strange problem. I've seen it once before with another sound card and I never figured it out. Something is causing the sound card to play sample rates incorrectly. It could be card damage, motherboard incompatibility or perhaps driver problems.

If you're only using it for Windows, you really could just use a different card. Those Ensoniq ISA cards are not very good Windows cards. The drivers are ancient and aren't well designed for DirectX. ISA cards also cause a lot higher CPU utilization than a PCI sound card.

The Ensoniq AudioPCI is better for Win9x. But something like a SBLive! or Vortex 2 would be best.

Card looks ok capacitors too but of course it doesn`t mean anything .
Maybe its a driver problem but i could not find other than the one wich was posted here in another thread and its seems to be a driver for all ensonigue cards rather than driver for Ensonique opus
Also midi doesnt play at all !!!

Reply 3 of 18, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can also find the final drivers on E-Mu's site. In Downloads, under Ensoniq legacy. Yes there is one download for Windows 95 for Soundscape that works with all Soundscape cards.
http://www.emu.com/support/files/download2.as … cy=0&Platform=1

Gateway has a driver on their site as well but it is either the same thing or older.

I have a Soundscape Opus card myself and have used the official Ensoniq driver without problems. However, these cards can be picky about the motherboard they work in. They are relatively early ISA Plug'n'Play designs and I know that they don't like some motherboards.

Reply 4 of 18, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:
You can also find the final drivers on E-Mu's site. In Downloads, under Ensoniq legacy. Yes there is one download for Windows 95 […]
Show full quote

You can also find the final drivers on E-Mu's site. In Downloads, under Ensoniq legacy. Yes there is one download for Windows 95 for Soundscape that works with all Soundscape cards.
http://www.emu.com/support/files/download2.as … cy=0&Platform=1

Gateway has a driver on their site as well but it is either the same thing or older.

I have a Soundscape Opus card myself and have used the official Ensoniq driver without problems. However, these cards can be picky about the motherboard they work in. They are relatively early ISA Plug'n'Play designs and I know that they don't like some motherboards.

I tried every posible driver i found and it did not solve the problem.
i assume that either the card is damaged or it just do not want to work well with my current motherboard. ( for 75 % is damaged 25 % that is incompatibile)
I do not have possibility to check it with another computer now since none of my fiends has a computer with isa slot.

Thank you for you effort swaaye , also now i noticed that it was You who posted this ensonique drivers on vogons so thanks again

My retro sound card collection
http://retrosoundcards.wordpress.com/

Reply 5 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My PAS16 plays digital stuff way to fast on my SS7 machine. But on a 486 it is fine.

What PCs where around when this card was launched and how much fast is your PC?

Did you test under pure DOS?

Before drawing conclusions, test the card in a 386 or 486.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 18, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

My PAS16 plays digital stuff way to fast on my SS7 machine. But on a 486 it is fine.

I had the same problem with a PAS16. I think I was using it in a fairly fast P3 rig at the time. Unfortunately, also at that time, I did not have another rig to test it in, such as a slower 486. I remember at that time Vogons user Cloudschatze suggested to "add T:1 [to the config.sys driver], which will enable the onboard clock, instead of using that of the ISA bus." I tried that, like this:

device = c:\proaudio\mvsound.sys d:1 q:5 s:0 m:0 j:0 T:1

Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem, and I suspect the reason was that my P3 machine was simply too fast for the PAS16 to operate normally. However, I wonder if you could try your PAS16 + SS7 again, but with the added T:1 argument. Perhaps try using a slow Pentium CPU. If that doesn't work, then maybe the PAS16 cannot operate successfully if used with a mobo/CPU beyond a 486?

Reply 8 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MediaVision - PAS16? - Help ID the card - Help with drivers

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

But did you try it with the T:1 argument?

Yup, but with no luck...

Works 100% on my 486 however, so I'm not worried anymore 🤣

Reply 13 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah it's nothing along the lines. Because the PAS16 works 100% in Sound Blaster mode. It's only in native PAS16 mode where the timing is off.

IMO it's simply poor design and Creative must have uses a better implementation. Creative cards work fine on a 1 GHz machine...

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 18, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

IMO it's simply poor design and Creative must have uses a better implementation.

Ouch. You're certainly in the minority with that opinion. 😀

These playback-speed issues sound very much like some sort of DMA-timing problem. Do you have any user-changeable DMA settings in the BIOS?

Reply 15 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:

These playback-speed issues sound very much like some sort of DMA-timing problem. Do you have any user-changeable DMA settings in the BIOS?

Just the usual PnP resources screen. I found a few other references on the internet, describing the same issue. The t:1 flag gets brought up all the time, but doesn't do anything. The documentation states that this flag is for certain chipset, for example from VIA.

RG100 had the same issue, maybe he won't to look further into it. But as far as I am concerned, it's a hardware compatibility issue with no solution as of yet.

Reply 16 of 18, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

IMO it's simply poor design and Creative must have uses a better implementation.

will try that when i get back from work

ps
thanks for all all the other solutions posted above

Reply 17 of 18, by kemot001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kemot001 wrote:
will try that when i get back from work […]
Show full quote
Cloudschatze wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

will try that when i get back from work

ps
thanks for all all the other solutions posted above

I can only assign dma chanel to IRQ but cannot change DMA timing
I checked all solutions posted above but with no luck
Funny thing that when i plug an audio signal from another card to a Line in of ensonique opus it plays normal

😖

Reply 18 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kemot001 wrote:

Funny thing that when i plug an audio signal from another card to a Line in of ensonique opus it plays normal

Oh well, at least you found a workaround 🤣