VOGONS

Aztech cards

Topic actions

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just spent some time boring into my little area of pc archaeology and unearthed three aztech cards, thought I would share the moment. As they are all 16bit isa sb clones I was a bit surprised how they varied:

MMPRO 16 IIA, which was my first sound card. It's got a midi card header, ide cdrom header, some other header labelled expcon, and the big chips are Aztech AZT2316 and Crystal CS4231A-KL. I'm guessing the azt2316 is on opl clone of some kind. Got fond memories of the sound and music from this card, on crappy battery speakers 🤣.

SOUND 16B SRS 3D which is pretty bare and basically seems to just have an AZT2320 OPL and a midi card header. I don't really know what these chips all do, but it doesn't seem to have enough 🤣. The 2320 seems to be an opl3 clone.

SOUND GALAXY WAVERIDER PRO 32-3D (I) PNP. Solder points for a midi card header [but no header], ide header, 3 big chips: Aztech AZT2320 OPL [guess this is the opl3 the box mentions], SEC C731B, and a SAMSUNG KS0174-1MO4 WAVETABLE 😳.[/img]

Attachments

• Filename
    IMGP0552.JPG
    File size
    131.67 KiB
    Downloads
    490 downloads
    File comment
    mmpro
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    IMGP0554.JPG
    File size
    117.4 KiB
    Downloads
    481 downloads
    File comment
    waverider
    File license
  • Filename
    IMGP0555.JPG
    File size
    289.36 KiB
    Downloads
    464 downloads
    File comment
    srs
    File license

Reply 1 of 32, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice! I think Aztech did well in the early Sound Blaster days. They where known to be compatible with many standards, even Disney and Covox.

But once MIDI took off they didn't really manage to compete anymore...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 32, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AZT2320 sounds practically 100% identical to true OPL3. I have an Aztech sound card(I think specially-made for HP) with the AZT2320 chipset and I love that thing. The one thing I'm not too fond of is the clarity of the OPL3. It comes out like in DOSBox: 100% unfiltered. I'm not really a fan of raw FM Synthesis; it need some filtering for it to sound good to my ears.

But what really impressed me about the AZT2320 was the clarity of the SoundBlaster Pro digital sound. It's the clearest of any sound card I've ever used, perhaps a little too clear. It's also got a minor bug with the SoundBlaster Pro digital sound where sometimes, a digital sound will stop too soon. I'll have to record that sound card at some time on all my DOS games(Star Wars X-Wing, Star Wars TIE Fighter, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Descent, Red Baron, etc.).

Here's the sound card in question:
hpazt1008withaztechazt2.th.jpg

One of the weirdest-looking sound cards I've ever seen, but damn, does it work well.

Reply 3 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

MMPRO 16 IIA, which was my first sound card. It's got a midi card header, ide cdrom header, some other header labelled expcon, and the big chips are Aztech AZT2316 and Crystal CS4231A-KL. I'm guessing the azt2316 is on opl clone of some kind.

But the actual yamaha OPL3 chip is right there near the letter "V1". Many aztech cards seem to retain a yamaha OPL3.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 4 of 32, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

But the actual yamaha OPL3 chip is right there near the letter "V1". Many aztech cards seem to retain a yamaha OPL3.

Yes you're right, it's a Yamaha OPL YMF 262-M, I hadn't spotted that. The azt2320 is presumably a later azt chip on the other boards, and there's no yamaha opl chip on those that I can see. I saw an old press release earlier about the azt2320 having opl3 functionality.

Reply 5 of 32, by copados33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you guys think about this card here?, I'm thinking into replacing my SB Awe 64 Gold with this one since I'm tired of the hanging notes issues with the MT-32 music on Thexder 2

Sorry for the pcture quality, as you can see on the big chip to the left, it reads "Aztech"
s_MLU_v_O_f_24235384_6543.jpg

Reply 6 of 32, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey copados33, I have the exact same card (picture from inside my 486), but as a Packard Bell OEM version, so the Aztech stickers are stickered over with Packard Bell ones. It is recognized by Win95 as an Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16. Not a bad card really-- compatible with SB Pro and has always sounded really good. I don't know much else about it though, I haven't explored any other capabilities it might have, though it's been with me since I first played DOS games back in 1995. One thing I just noticed the other day is that it actually has a YMF262-M on it, so it should technically be capable of OPL3. However back when the PC it was in worked I tried a lot of OPL music programs and they would only work in OPL2 mode. I dunno if that is just a misconfiguration on my part or something else. If I can get that 486 working again I will try and figure it out.

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 9 of 32, by copados33

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anybody knows if Thexder 2 is on the list of games that suffer from hanging notes using the AWE64 Gold MPu-401??
I'm thinking into ditch the AWE64 gold and use this Aztech card instead, but I don't know if these have full MPU-401 support.

Reply 10 of 32, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since when does an AWE64 Gold suffer from the hanging notes bug? I thought all AWE64s had DSP version 4.16, which is immune to the bug. Unless I'm missing something? I'll tell you one thing: I never had any kind of hanging notes on any of my two AWE64s, both of which have DSP version 4.16(they're Value models, but it should be the same with an AWE64 Gold).

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 12 of 32, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very weird... I've never heard of any AWE64 screwing up MIDI like that. I did have problems with my CT4520 AWE64 where it would suddenly stop playing any music from my CM-300, but I was using Windows 95, which has problems when you've got multiple MIDI devices. I mean, I'm currently using a SoundBlaster 16 WavEffects model CT4170 in my IBM Personal Computer 300PL until I get fix my YMF724 or get it replaced by another Yamaha sound card, and I don't get a single stuck note or completely messed-up MIDI from my CM-300(I'm now using Windows 98 on that computer since I can switch MIDI devices with less problems than in Windows 95). It uses the exact same DSP version as the AWE64(4.16). Essentially, the AWE64 is just a SoundBlaster 16 WavEffects with the AWE32's EMU8000 added in. I really don't see how your AWE64 manages to mess up that badly. What OS are you using?

Reply 13 of 32, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just find this picture in on-line market and post it here.

file.php?mode=view&id=14759&sid=19529e418e673a0163fb9bc6aef19fb7

price begins at $10, should I buy it as a "Historical purpose"? Now I see real picture (first in the net), it was worst Aztech card ever.

Attachments

• Filename
    synerbeat16.png
    File size
    2.12 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 14 of 32, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I do some grave digging here, but I have gotten a Aztech Waverider Platinum 3D PnP recently.
It features the Aztech 2320 DSP and a wavetable part consisting of the "SEC C727B" and "Samsung KS0174-1M04 Korea Wavetable" chip.
The FCC-ID is I38-MMSN853 which is an ID that Aztech used for a few different Waverider cards.
I identified the wrider96 directory on aztechs ftp as the correct driver source.

Windows 98SE installs Aztech2320 PnP WDM drivers automatically as well a MPU-401 drivers.
Playing a MIDI file uses the Hardware Wavetable.

The DOS installation from Aztech features Intels PnP ICUU tool only to set resources with systems that do not support PnP. No Mixer or any actual sound related tool.

Trying the Windows 95 drivers on Windows 98SE asks for a genmidi.wsl from a "MIDI Music Workstation CD" which I do not have. So I took those files from the Riptide 80076 driver.
Now the Multimedia Control panel offers me the Hardware MPU-401 wavetable and the Software Wavetable Engine (Readme states 96 voices).

edit: Found the datasheets of this wavetable solution.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 15 of 32, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
copados33 wrote:

Do you know if this model is compatible with Covox and Disney Sound System? I ask because I don't have my "retro boxes" with me right now in order to run testings.

Only some of the first generation Aztech sound cards supported the Covox Speech Thing and Disney Sound Source.
These cards normally had a jumper that enabled you to set up a virtual parrallel port in case your PC didn't have one available.
My Sound Galaxy Basic 16 (I38-MMSN810) does support these standards but none of my 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation Aztech cards.
Not many games supported these sound standards so, I guess that is why Aztech also dropped support for them after releasing their 2nd generation cards (which utilises the AZT-1605 chipset).

Reply 16 of 32, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can remember my 1st Aztech card back in the day, really impressive cards some of the best sounding Sound Blaster compatible cards of the time thats for sure. 😀

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 17 of 32, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this Aztech sound card today, yet to find any drivers or test it yet though.

Is it any good...?

Attachments

• 20151024_200353.jpg
    Filename
    20151024_200353.jpg
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18 of 32, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
turtlesedge wrote:

I got this Aztech sound card today, yet to find any drivers or test it yet though.

Is it any good...?

It's one of the Aztech combo cards, which had a modem and sound card on one board.

Your card appears to be using the AZT-2316 chipset, which was used on the 3rd generation Sound Galaxy sound cards (it's still a non Plug 'n Play card) - you should be able to use one of the driver sets of one of the 3rd generation sound cards. Check out Vogons drivers. There are driver sets for a range of Aztech cards.

The modem chipset appears to be a Rockwell. There's usually a model (chipset) number printed on the chipset. Once you know what the chipset number is, then you can just Google it. You should then be able to obtain a generic driver for it.

Is there a model number (FCC-ID) printed somewhere on the board? The picture isn't very clear. Will usually be something like I38-MMSNxxx (later models had an FCC-ID of I38-SNxxxx).

Reply 19 of 32, by turtlesedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:
It's one of the Aztech combo cards, which had a modem and sound card on one board. […]
Show full quote
turtlesedge wrote:

Is it any good...?

It's one of the Aztech combo cards, which had a modem and sound card on one board.

Your card appears to be using the AZT-2316 chipset, which was used on the 3rd generation Sound Galaxy sound cards (it's still a non Plug 'n Play card) - you should be able to use one of the driver sets of one of the 3rd generation sound cards. Check out Vogons drivers. There are driver sets for a range of Aztech cards.

The modem chipset appears to be a Rockwell. There's usually a model (chipset) number printed on the chipset. Once you know what the chipset number is, then you can just Google it. You should then be able to obtain a generic driver for it.

Is there a model number (FCC-ID) printed somewhere on the board? The picture isn't very clear. Will usually be something like I38-MMSNxxx (later models had an FCC-ID of I38-SNxxxx).

Hey jesolo, thanks for the quick reply. There doesn't appear to be an FCC-ID on the board but there is a sticker on the back with a code "AZSC55010468". I have searched and still have no idea what model it is. I was hoping DOS drivers would exist for it.

Sorry about the image quality, I took 2 more photos...

Attachments

• 20151024_221628.jpg
    Filename
    20151024_221628.jpg
    File size
    2.29 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20151024_221613.jpg
    Filename
    20151024_221613.jpg