VOGONS

Reply 20 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hehe glad you are happy!

I remember when I got my 19" for the first time. It was HUGE!!!!!

To this day the 19" are awesome for word processing, browsing the internet and a lot of other things. I currently have a 18.5" 16:9 and it's TINY for these tasks...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 21 of 233, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Naibas wrote:

Mau1wurf1977: I bet 5:4 fit a particular media or task better than 4:3. Like how 16:10 came about because it could fit a 16:9 movie and have space left over for editing UI for film editing software (at least that was the rumor I heard).

Yea - 5:4 was intended for word processing, apparently it's an exact fit for showing two A4 pages side-by-side (or something along those lines).

I use a couple of these, and don't really mind the two (very narrow) black bars dosbox gives me at the top and bottom with aspect=true - luckily dosbox deals very well with stretching and aspect correction, so hardware scaling is pretty much a moot point for me.

Is your new panel an IPS or a TN? mine is the latter, and I very much notice that annoying temporal dithering effect when it tries to fake actual truecolor. Maybe it's time to look into that LP2065....

Reply 23 of 233, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Anyone know the reason why they didn't make 1280 x 960 LCDs? I mean it's double 640 x 480 and would have made a lot of sense. Why did they go for 1024 lines?

Probably because it was cheaper to make a "720p" screen at 1280x720 and advertise it as though it were better. 😜

Reply 25 of 233, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's build a time machine valnar and kill that person AND the person that invented printers! (computer printers that is)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 27 of 233, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Let's build a time machine valnar and kill that person AND the person that invented printers! (computer printers that is)

?? And down with bamboo steamers too! 😕

I think I missed the printer reference. I kinda like my color laser.

Reply 28 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

Reviving an old thread because the topic has got me thinking again now that I'm playing with early Windows 3D games 😀

The current LCD options are:

- Old 15" 1024 x 768 screens which are old and slow
- 20" or 21" 1600 x 1200 screens which are rarer and not cheap
- 24 1920 x 1200 screens with aspect ratio mode for 1600 x 1200 and other 4:3 resolutions

However I believe I have found another solution which is affordable, new and might work very well.

Basically you need to look for:

- Current 18.5" screens with 1366 x 760 resolution
- Check that the monitor has a 4:3 / wide aspect ratio switch

I looked at an online store here and checked the screens and user manuals and found these screens with a 4:3 option:

AOC: http://www.vtechindustries.com.au/aoc-e950swn … 0,-d-sub,-black)-vesa%3A-75mmx-75mm-e950swn

Philips: http://www.vtechindustries.com.au/philips-18. … 196v4lsb%252F00

Asus: www.vtechindustries.com.au/18.5inch-asu ... k)-vs197de

I just ordered the Philips as it has VGA and DVI and the 4:3 button is a physical switch at the front.

For me it's all about the 1024 x 768 resolution. Good enough for a sharp image and not too demanding. Also pretty much every game supports it. But I also hope that DOS compatibility is great.

I will let you know how it goes 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 30 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

I stopped using my 15" LCD for this kind of stuff. Can't cope with the poor contrast and medicore scaling... a CRT is needed for an authentic experience no doubt.

Yea the 15" are too old. The current Samsung 19" I have is quite good, but the 5:4 aspect ratio bugs me. And many games don't support the 1280 x 1024, only 1280 x 960, which is great on a CRT, but sucks on a LCD.

Still, I can't see going back to a CRT these days anymore.

My YouTube channel

Reply 31 of 233, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mine is pretty good for its age if you look at reponse rates and such. Was actually positively surprised here. But TN LCDs have fundamental issues with image quality even to this day. Once you get one with a better panel you usually lose that important >60Hz, or the VGA input altogether with some newer models, so for retro stuff an LCD is a tradeoff in every way really.

Reply 32 of 233, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eagerly awaiting your results! I'll be in the market for a new screen this year 😀

Reply 33 of 233, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Still, I can't see going back to a CRT these days anymore.

Just wondering, when was the last time you've seen 320x200 on a decent small-size (S)VGA CRT? 😀

Reply 34 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We have a CRT at work 😀

I don't miss them. I got traumatised as a teenager during an internship when a CRT monitor blew up on me. 🤣

Last good CRT I had was a massive 20" or 21" Compaq: http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mBdSqq … JG7W6qdFl7w.jpg

But it took 20 minutes to warm up and centre the image. And everytime a CRT made a "funny sound" my heart would skip.

Never looked back since I got my first LCD monitor:

fq72vhYl.jpg

4VKysdFl.jpg

I love the sharp pixels and perfect geometry. I don't have an issue with the colours. I'm a happy camper using LCD screens.

My YouTube channel

Reply 35 of 233, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To each his own I guess 😀

If there is one thing that is really to be avoided it's the 1280x1024 screens. The fact that a lot of them were advertised as gaming monitors back then seems surreal nowadays. That plague even spread to CRTs where they recommended that res in the manual as optimal.

Reply 36 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And that resolution is SOOOO common. At my work we have so many 17" and 19" LCDs lying around...

My YouTube channel

Reply 38 of 233, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check this web site to see what panels are in what monitors. It is not always updated, but contains all the 4:3 monitors we would care about.
http://lcdtech.info/en/data/lcd.panels.in.mon … showobsolete=on

As mentioned previously, if you want a 1600x1200 monitor with an IPS screen and fastest possible, that falls on the HP LP2065. There are some other good ones too, but I love that monitor. The LG L2000C is also supposed to be good (same panel), but I've never seen one before.

Reply 39 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
valnar wrote:

As mentioned previously, if you want a 1600x1200 monitor with an IPS screen and fastest possible, that falls on the HP LP2065. There are some other good ones too, but I love that monitor

Bought these (retro) hardware today

😀

My YouTube channel