VOGONS

Reply 42 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

So, what's the problem with 1280x1024 exactly? Does it stretch the image?

Yes the aspect ratio is different. Many games get stretched vertically.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 43 of 233, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1280x1024 was when LCD's started getting good. Unfortunately the 5:4 AR messed things up. 1024x768 LCD's are mostly older and have slower response times. In a perfect world, DOS gamers would love a modern day 1024x768 LCD with 2ms response.

I also love my Dell 2209WA if you want a do-all monitor. You can get one on eBay. 16:10 IPS at 1680x1050 and has a 4:3 mode.

Reply 45 of 233, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Anyone sharing Dosbox preferences for output/scaler on LCDs?

I use 0x0 tv2x forced on ddraw doublebuffered. I still miss the phosphors fading and a bright image though 🙁

On my desktop I use this:

fullscreen=true
fullresolution=1680x1050
windowresolution=1024x768
output=DDraw
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

Setting my full resolution as my desktop resolution is the only way I can get proper fullscreen aspect ratio scaling on my crappy setup. 🤣 Also, I don't exactly remember how I decided on 1024x768 as my windowed mode resolution, but it looks fine for most games, and it's a convenient size whenever I'm juggling multiple apps at once.

Reply 46 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I usually go with:

fullscreen=true
fullresolution=0x0
output=opengl
aspect=true
scaler=normal3x

My YouTube channel

Reply 47 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
valnar wrote:

In a perfect world, DOS gamers would love a modern day 1024x768 LCD with 2ms response.

That Philips 1366 x 768 monitor with 4:3 aspect ratio switch arrived at work today! I will check it out tonight and hopefully it does what I hope it does.

My YouTube channel

Reply 48 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok the monitor arrived today!

It has an aspect ratio button on the front and seems to work fine through VGA:

Will test DVI on a Ti 4200 later.

oobhbTHl.jpg

Nr6AeAQl.jpg

79wXQcJl.jpg

PMsjBtUl.jpg

What is a good test for 70Hz support? Ideally something that works on slow and fast machines. Could be a cracked game with an intro or something like that...

My YouTube channel

Reply 49 of 233, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

What is a good test for 70Hz support? Ideally something that works on slow and fast machines. Could be a cracked game with an intro or something like that...

There is this file viewing utility with smooth text scrolling: smooth.com.

Dropped frames also become apparent in scrolling pinball games like Pinball Dreams etc...

Reply 50 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I gave up on that text file scrolling utility...

Here is a Geforce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x under Windows 98SE with the latest drivers (81.98). The monitor support 75 Hz at that resolution. Again, any ideas how I could test this? 3D Mark 2001 with V-Sync on maybe?

The image is crystal clear through DVI and 1024 x 768 is pixel perfect with 1:1 pixel mapping and 4:3 ratio 😀

43QxUwPl.jpg

So anyone who wants a modern 1024 x 768 LCD, check out the 18.5" models. Make sure they have a 4:3 aspect ratio mode like this Philips. I found 2 other models. The links are one page back. It would be awesome if someone else could test one and post it here. Maybe you got one of them already or at work or work in a shop with access to them.

My YouTube channel

Reply 52 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

Test what?

The 4:3 aspect ratio feature of these monitors!

I mention the other two models here: Best LCD for DOS games running on old hardware

I went for the Philips because it has VGA and DVI and the 4:3 aspect ratio feature is through a button at the front which makes it very to easy. Confirmed working under DOS and Windows via both, VGA and DVI.

I'm running 3D Mark 2000 with V-Sync at 1024 x 768 75Hz and can't see any stutters. Very happy so far 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 53 of 233, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if you can set 4:3 in the OSD it most certainly supports pillarboxed output, so not sure what you want to "test" here. If there is anything to test it's factors like scaling quality, support for >60 Hz under DVI, response rates (important for sidescrollers with repeating patterns), whether a 4:3 aspect ratio is supported for 320x200, etc...

Reply 55 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I will definitely look into buying one of those, thanks Mau1! Heck, it's only 80 Euros for the Phillips one here in Greece and it's always great to have a spare monitor.

Yea. Though I think it's a shame that we need to test this ourselves. What happened to actually reviewing products...

I would still love to know how the other monitors go. I believe they don't have a button at the front, so hard to say how it works. Will it remember the 4:3 setting when you change resolutions? And all the things d1stortion mentioned.

The Philips stays at 4:3 once set. No matter what the resolution is. Even when you set a widescreen resolution it makes it 4:3 😀

Colours are good. A bit of backlight bleeding, but this is a cheap monitor after all. Speed is great, no ghosting or smearing. At 75 Hz with V-sync everything is silky smooth.

My YouTube channel

Reply 56 of 233, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I personally wouldn't use VSync in games. Way too much input lag in shooters especially.

The 4:3 option on that monitor seems neat. In my experience most modern monitors won't allow a 4:3 aspect ratio for 320x200. Though note that a few games may be actually designed to run without aspect ratio correction, i.e. in the actual 16:10 resolution. In that case the image can be manually adjusted for letterbox output on a CRT, with an LCD you'd need a 16:10 one though...

Reply 57 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At 75 Hz input lag isn't as bad. And it gets better the higher your refresh rate. Although 75 isn't that much higher, the difference is noticeable going from 60Hz to 75Hz with V-sync.

My YouTube channel

Reply 58 of 233, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I gave up on that text file scrolling utility...

Why? With this utility I found it very easy to detect if a display was dropping frames because of the uniform motion and because juddering becomes more apparent when reading text. It is small, freely available and works on any PC with VGA.

Reply 59 of 233, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I couldn't get it going and got frustrated 😊

Might check it out later...

My YouTube channel