VOGONS

Questions about a CMS-401 MIDI card

Topic actions

First post, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I snagged a CMS-401 MPU card for cheap off eBay a couple weeks ago, and since I now have a Roland MT-100 on the way (also acquired for cheap 😁 ), I figure it's about time I look into setting this card up.

Here's the problem, though... my card is almost identical to the ones I've seen discussed various places online, except for one detail: mine does not have the address and IRQ jumper headers populated. Instead, it just has the empty pads, and traces hardwired to particular settings.

Here's what I mean:

30t10g6.jpg

(I've mentioned before, but I'll say it again: I hate my POS camera. That's the clearest picture I could get out of it, and even that took a dozen tries. 😠 ) Anyhow...

The IRQ setting seems fine the way it is... it looks to be wired for IRQ 2/9. What's throwing me off, though, is the address setting. What little documentation I can find about the card indicates that setting is gives an address of 3e0h, which is rather strange.

I know at least a couple people on here own (or have owned) one of these cards, I've seen 'em mentioned here before, so I'd like to ask for some confirmation here... to set it to the standard 330h address, I need to bridge positions 2 and 3, right? What about position 0... on the cards with the header pins installed, is that one shorted even without a jumper on it, or do I need to cut that trace?

Reply 1 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I own one of these which I use in a 386 machine I'm going to dig out this weekend during my wild photo shoot for the retro rig photo thread we have going here.
How can I help?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 26, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'm mainly looking for two things... the first is, whether the trace connecting the two pins at position 0 of the address selection exists on other cards... basically, if you could prod those pins on your card with a multimeter, and see if there's continuity between them without a jumper installed there. I think that trace probably needs to be cut on mine, but I want to make sure before I do it.

Second, would be a verification if the information I found about the jumper settings is correct, that putting jumpers at positions 2 and 3 on the address selection is actually the correct setting for the 330h address. That's something I could find out by trial-and-error, I suppose, but rather than installing full pin headers I'm planning on just soldering in a couple little wire bridges at the necessary positions, so knowing exactly where I need to install those bridges would save me some trouble.

Reply 4 of 26, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try "Gateway" from Legend Entertainment. If it works, you have a 100% compatible MPU401 card...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Try "Gateway" from Legend Entertainment. If it works, you have a 100% compatible MPU401 card...

I can confirm it's 100% compatible with the Roland MPU-401 spec

Reply 6 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Well, I'm mainly looking for two things... the first is, whether the trace connecting the two pins at position 0 of the address selection exists on other cards... basically, if you could prod those pins on your card with a multimeter, and see if there's continuity between them without a jumper installed there. I think that trace probably needs to be cut on mine, but I want to make sure before I do it.

Second, would be a verification if the information I found about the jumper settings is correct, that putting jumpers at positions 2 and 3 on the address selection is actually the correct setting for the 330h address. That's something I could find out by trial-and-error, I suppose, but rather than installing full pin headers I'm planning on just soldering in a couple little wire bridges at the necessary positions, so knowing exactly where I need to install those bridges would save me some trouble.

Hopefully I can answer this shortly, just got back from a 4 km "morning walk"

Reply 7 of 26, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Ok, just checked my card.

The pins at "0" gives no continuity
My card is set to port 330 and IRQ = Jumper on "0" and jumper on "2" at

Reply 9 of 26, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh, so I guess the documentation I found was wrong (thanks for nothing, usenet! 😒 ), and I don't actually need to change anything.

I guess I could've just plugged it in and found that out on my own, but not knowing the history of my particular card (and noting that there are some scratched traces and other slight damage to it), it's nice to have assurance of how it's supposed to work, so that I can easily tell whether it works at all.

So, thanks a bunch for your efforts, Amigaz, I do appreciate it. 😀

Reply 11 of 26, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Digging up an _OLD_ thread...

I found one of these CMS 401's for sale but, alas, from the pictures it looks like someone took all the chips out? (or most of them):

KGrHqVHJEQE88dE0T35BPSRzgnRFg60_3.jpg

Does it look useless or is there hope? (no vultures please)[/img]

Reply 12 of 26, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The important special chip is there, it should be possible to replace the others, they are not very uncommon.

Mouser (I am not familiar with component dealers overseas, this is the first I thought of) should have everything except the SRAM. It is available at Ebay (you can even look for a HM6116 or others instead).

On the other side there may be a reason why it was cannibalized...

1+1=10

Reply 16 of 26, by a.d.i

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first post, so hello to everybody 😀

i have this card but missing cables for it 🙁
can somebody send me picture of inside of db25 connector?
in order to build my own cable i need to know if there are any parts inside this connector and which pins are connected to midi out

Reply 17 of 26, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A CMS 401 card for sale here with $25 buy-out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-CMS-401-Interf … =item416cc849ff

I bought a Midiman MM-401 card from the same seller, so thought this might be interesting for some in here who are looking for a intelligent mode compatible MPU-401 card.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 19 of 26, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cricket wrote on 2020-06-24, 19:59:

I also have a board that has no cable and it also doesn't get detected.
Any chance to get the pinout of the cable?

I've got one of these cards on the way... One of the few MPU-401 clones I didn't already have. I'll post the pinout once it arrives

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK