VOGONS

First post, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is my latest purchase from ebay.
dsc00333bn.th.jpg
I saw it, and I was curious why it had both a battery and a dallas-like chip. I bought it for 0.99$... I paid 16$ shipping cost, and when it arrived, it had written 16.25$ on the post office label. The seller was kind enough to include a tiny box full of screws and plastic spacers. So I guess he didn't make a profit at all....
Anyway, trying to identify the board, I saw the name Elpina written underneath, and on top, it says just V5.0 on the right corner. Now, I know it's a PC-Chips variation, but it's not the VX Pro, as it has an actual Intel 430VX chipset.
First, I got to solve the RTC chip mystery. I thought why does it have a battery also? Well, that's easy to explain, once you try to remove the RTC. After the fake cache case(I'm going to get to that later), here we can see a board with a fake dallas-like chip!
dsc00335b.th.jpg
It's just a cap placed onto the chip. I guess that's what a real dallas chip has glued on it when it has a battery also. But I'm very curious why would anybody do that?!?!?
And finally let's get to the cache chips... I think they're fake. Here's a pic.
dsc00332c.th.jpg
It has a regular award bios. Before it boots, at the specs table, in the cache memory section, it says W/B cache enabled instead of the amount of cache memory. Disabling it doesn't seem to make any difference. I've been running windows 95 which I have on a CF card, and it loads it in 15-16 seconds, no matter if you have the cache enabled or disabled. So I guess it's fake. And also speedsys reports only the L1 cache.
However, it seems to perform nice. I tried Pentiums 150 and 200MHz, MMX 200 and 233, K6 233 and K6-2 400, and they work fine. I get also reasonable scores in 3dBench. I wonder, how is that possible, if it doesn't have any level 2 cache..... Ok, the amds have more L1 cache than the pentiums, but even with a non mmx pentium, it performs rather well.
I'm confused....

Reply 1 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've bought a few things from ebay that when they have turned up had postage costs stamped on them that were more than the cost I had paid for the item + shipping. In most of those cases I then sent the seller a few £ extra (not a lot, but enough for a drink or two at the pub!)... I figure it's karma 😀

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps PC Chips believes that incorporating fake components in to their mobos is simply a matter of course. 😉

megatron-uk wrote:

I've bought a few things from ebay that when they have turned up had postage costs stamped on them that were more than the cost I had paid for the item + shipping. In most of those cases I then sent the seller a few £ extra (not a lot, but enough for a drink or two at the pub!)... I figure it's karma 😀

I think that's a really good idea.

Reply 3 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:

Perhaps it includes the cost of packaging material and for the gasoline to drive to the post office?
In general, I don't really mind if the actual shipping cost is only a few bucks less then what I ended up paying for the shipping cost. Main thing is that the item I bought arrives in good condition 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 13, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found out the name of the board. It's M549.
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/pcchips/m549.htm
Now, I wonder what's happening with the cache memory. Is it possible to have real cache, and speedsys can't see that?

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Markk wrote:

I found out the name of the board. It's M549.
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/pcchips/m549.htm
Now, I wonder what's happening with the cache memory. Is it possible to have real cache, and speedsys can't see that?

I'd imagine that only happening if there is real cache, but it's somehow been disabled or unworkable otherwise.

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can VX boards use 2 DIMM slots for SDRAM?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Can VX boards use 2 DIMM slots for SDRAM?

Yes, but VX only works with the early 16MB SS and 32MB DS modules. I believe a couple Vogoners have an Intel made VX ATX board that came with 2 DIMM slots.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 13, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why would someone fake the Dallas RTC? Was having one a selling point back in the day? Even if that cap cost a penny to produce, I'd still call it a money waste. At least now, it has novelty value.

The board itself doesn't look too bad. Actual Intel chipset is a plus.

EDIT: Check out the first entry on this page:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … ech-and-ODIN%29

Apparently, some "Houston Tech" capped VIA chips have batteries contained in them. Still an incredibly silly cost measure I think.

Reply 10 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Perhaps PC Chips believes that incorporating fake components in to their mobos is simply a matter of course. 😉

megatron-uk wrote:

I think that's a really good idea.

It was done originally because people wouldn't buy a 486 motherboard without cache memory no matter how cheap it was so they put the fake chips on there to fool people into buying the cacheless boards. I guess they hadn't outgrown that mentality even into the Pentium era.

Reply 11 of 13, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh... PC Chips at its finest.

I was unfortunate enough to get a PC Chips Socket 7 motherboard and it just reeked of cheap PC Chips junk. First, the chipset was one I did not recognize at all. Second, the BIOS chip has a marking that doesn't correspond to any known Flash ROM, EPROM or EEPROM. Fortunately, the board is dead(it doesn't POST). I say "fortunately" because I don't want to deal with PC Chips junk. At least I have a 200MHz AMD K6 to add to my small collection of Socket 7 CPUs.

The chipset on this board is a TX Pro chipset. It also has a built-in SoundPro HT1869V+ sound card, AT and ATX power supply inputs, 3 SDRAM slots, 4 72-pin SIMM slots, an AT keyboard input with a header for a PS/2 keyboard input, a PS/2 mouse plug, 4 PCI slots and 3 ISA slots. It does seem like a good board, but considering it's made by PC Chips, it's most likely crap.

As for the cache, I'm not even sure if the cache on the motherboard is real or not. It looks real, but it could very well be fake.

Reply 12 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like how there are an extra two solder pads where the actual cache memory is supposed to go.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 13, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the design of that board reminds me of my dead azza tomato 430FX board.... *HAD* a AMI winbios in it... and a dallas rtc chip... was a slow turd and when I tried to flash an upgrade to it, it didn't work and killed it! So I guess it was the wrong ROM after all. Oh well, it was an expensive excuse to get my Spacewalker 569 board (the very reason why I refused to get a super7 board because it was 3 months later.. I was livid!)