VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As title, anyone knows if there is a QUAKE 1 port that uses a voodoo card and runs from plain DOS?
thanks!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't exist.

What does officially exist is VQuake (Rendition Verite Quake for DOS) and GLQuake (OpenGL Quake for Windows and Linux)

there's no glide quake, period... not even an open source one. 3dfx is only supported by the minigl wrapper for GLQuake.

doesn't stop anyone from writing a glide port or even a sgl port for DOS though. finding someone with such motivation to do that is close to impossible nowadays especially in an age where entry level video cards curbstomp 4 Bitchin' Fast 3D's in quad SLI.

Reply 2 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

damn.... there goes my reason to add a voodoo1 card on my dos-only machine! 🤣
thanks leileilol

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry but even it were feasible to write a Speedy3D --> Glide wrapper that wouldn't work with VQuake.

VQuake uses custom microcode so actually it doesn't tell the video card to draw triangles but only line-width pieces of triangles to avoid overdraw. (Detailed infos were posted in this forum.)

I don't even know if anybody has ever written a wrapper that works in DOS only. The only similar thing that comes to mind is the TSR that enable S3 ViRGE games to run on newer S3 chips (S3DTOOL.ZIP?).

Reply 5 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

seems to be a new? quake2 port for 3dfx and dos ? http://www.falconfly.de/patches-quake2.htm

btw. what is the best option for a PII/V3 when playing Quake1 ? the normal minigl or the wickedgl ?
Glquake097/098 or Glquake113/133a
I do not get "anisotropy flitering" to work.

Any ideas?

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 7 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

seems to be a new? quake2 port for 3dfx and dos ? http://www.falconfly.de/patches-quake2.htm

Where you been, we had a massive thread going for that 😁
Quake2 + Acebot for DOSBox (128mb)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto