VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Introduction
I am testing an ATi Mach32 VLB VGA card. I don't know what model it is. Is it a Graphics Ultra Pro model? When I run the Windows 95 "add hardware wizard", it detects an "ATi Graphics Ultra Pro", so I guess it must be one of these. I have no strong reason to doubt Windows 95's ability to accurately detect hardware.

Also, how can I find out what RAM it uses - is it DRAM or VRAM? I'm guessing it's VRAM. It's got 1MB of RAM onboard, and looks like its upgradeable to 2MB. I would like to upgrade it - please see question 1 below. The information written on the card's white BIOS sticker says:

VLB MACH32
113-19500-104

1) Link to the DOS and Windows 3 installation driver diskette 1 of 2, version 2.6-3. Filename is m1.7z
2) Link to the DOS and Windows 3 installation driver diskette 2 of 2, version 2.6-3. Filename is m2.7z
3) Link to the DOS and Windows 3 installation driver diskette 1 of 2, version 2.6-3. Filename is m1.img. (Rawrite format)
4) Link to the DOS and Windows 3 installation driver diskette 2 of 2, version 2.6-3. Filename is m2.img. (Rawrite format)
5) Link to Rawrite for Windows.
6) Link to 7-Zip.

Notes
1) The label on the original floppy diskette says: mach32 ISA/EISA/MCA/VLB/PCI, part no. 148-18931-260. The software on it is version 2.6-3, and I think it's the latest. I can see lots of references on DriverGuide to version 2.6. I can't see any references on the net to anything later. I understand that the Windows 95 CD-ROM has the latest driver built in to it. However, I am not aware of any driver package from ATi that adds anything more, such as W95 utilites/software etc. This software includes DOS utilities and a Windows 3 driver. The Windows 3 driver also includes an uninstaller.

2) Compressed disk contents 2 of 2. Original diskettes are high density.

3) The file format is "rawrite". This is a 100% copy/clone of the original floppy diskettes. You'll need the Windows (9x and also "NT") rawrite program, to use this rawrite format. It's here.

4) Disk image 2 of 2.

5) + 6) Just in case you need them.

Questions
1) I would like to upgrade this VGA card's RAM. Does anyone know what search text I need to type in to ebay, to find it? I found an ebay advert here, but the chips are too expensive, as I need 8 of them! Thanks a lot for any advice! 😀 The factory soldered RAM chips currently onboard this card say:

OKI Japan
M514252A-80Z

2) What goes in to that brown empty socket on this card? I think it's for something called a RAMDAC, but what does that mean? Does it allow you to have a greater colour depth in Windows?

The card
PICT2425.JPG

Using Windows 3
I can't get my LCD to display @ 1280x1024, without it going in to a non LCD friendly refresh rate, and consequently displaying a blank screen.
m2.jpg

Using Windows 95
The info says that the chip type is Mach32_Rev3, and the DAC type is ATI68830. Presumably, if you put a RAMDAC chip in to the empty brown socket, the DAC type would be different - and better. In what way?
m1.jpg

Reply 1 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

About the ramdac... Chances are that empty socket is for something else... maybe a video-accelerator or similar device

I doubt this card was so high-end that it allowed a better ramdac... if it was such a card then the ramdac would be already there IMHO

at any rate a better RAMDAC would allow higher resolutions and refresh rates (assuming the main chipset could support them) and a better output signal

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 53, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wacky. I didn't realize they made cards where you could add a RAMDAC to them. There is already one integrated onto the card or it wouldn't be able to render via VGA, but I guess the expansion socket is for a faster one that would enable you to have higher refresh rates and resolutions, with the one on the card being disabled when you add a faster one. At some point though you'll hit a wall with the 1MB frame buffer on the card. Basically, the RAMDAC is used to convert the digital picture stored in the cards video memory into three seperate color values so you can then display the picture on an analog computer monitor. Wikipedia has a good article about it here.

Reply 3 of 53, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nothing on th99, but I did find this:
ultrapro.jpg

😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 53, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What you have is a "special" OEM version of the Ultra Pro known as the "Graphics Ultra XLR". I think it was made for Dell or Gateway. Basically they just give you a really cruddy RAMDAC and only 1mb of ram. Every retail Ultra pro I've ever seen has had the high end RAMDAC and the full 2mb.

Also, despite the name "Mach32", the datapath to memory on these cards is actually 64-bit when 2mb is installed, with 1mb only 32-bit.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 53, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, can you take a better photo of your card for me so I can add it to the VCwiki?

http://www.wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.ph … ATi_Mach_Series

Reply 6 of 53, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Judging from the top pic having the larger socket empty whereas the other card pictured has a smaller socket empty, looks as if the card took one RAMDAC or another. I guess so they didn't have to produce two different cards.

Reply 7 of 53, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GXL750 wrote:

Judging from the top pic having the larger socket empty whereas the other card pictured has a smaller socket empty, looks as if the card took one RAMDAC or another. I guess so they didn't have to produce two different cards.

I think the RAMDAC's were in the same physical socket, or the retail version had it soldered to the board. It looks like the one in the second pic is a user's card with the upgrades applied, just the pictures weren't taken at the same position (one is zoomed in).

Reply 8 of 53, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All of the Mach32 VRAMs that I can recall have the brown socket whether the better RAMDAC is present or not.

Reply 9 of 53, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow, everyday I learn something new 🤣
what happens if you put the better ramdac in rg100's card? Does it get used ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 53, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the info, people. Ah, what a shame it's not a good version. Oh well. Maybe if I can find a replacement DAC chip, and also the RAM chips, it will be OK. I must say the image quality is good. Nothing cruddy about it. Here's the best picture that I can take, using my seriously crappy old camera.

mach32.jpg

Reply 11 of 53, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To upgrade my collected cards I purchased ~40 pieces of these memory devices here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Toshiba-TC524258-5V-2 … =item5198f06f7f

Some months ago there was a special offer (5 pieces for 2.99$)

Reply 12 of 53, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think if you just upgrade the RAM on that thing, you should be okay. It seems to me that RAMDACs aren't really all that critical now that we use LCDs. Just back in the early 90s with a CRT, the better RAMDAC would have been critical. On an LCD, you won't see the flickering.

Reply 13 of 53, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People, thanks very much for the info. I'm really happy with this card. I like the image quality. And I just bought some of those cheap RAM chips for it! - Thanks very much for the heads up! 😀

Reply 14 of 53, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose I can't use those RAM chips to upgrade that Action Media II card of mine 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 53, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh yeah, thanks for the photo. I've added it to the vcwiki.

Reply 16 of 53, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Also, can you take a better photo of your card for me so I can add it to the VCwiki?

http://www.wiki.vintage-computer.com/index.ph … ATi_Mach_Series

Hey, if you'd like, I could check which pics are still missing and then check if I have any of the missing cards.
You're more then welcome to add any pic I post to the wiki! ;D

Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 53, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, thanks!