VOGONS

First post, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there. I'm working on a retro PC and am nearly done. One of the last things that needs to be done is connecting the CPU fan (it's a 166MHz Pentium in a Socket 7).

Here's the situation:

IMAG0613.jpg

It's a 3 pin connector for a DC 12V fan. However, the manual (AP53 R3) states the following:

cpu_fan.png

It has 12V and Ground, but I can't seem to get it to work. The black (ground) cable it on one end, and the yellow 12V is on the other. I can't seem to easily find a converter. Am I right in thinking that I need to use only the leftmost and rightmost cables and not the red in the middle?

Thanks 😀

Reply 1 of 23, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You need red and black, yellow is an RPM sensor. Red should be positive.

Some of those two pin connectors are made in such a fashion that you can jam a 3 pin connector on there and just forget it has a yellow. If not though, you'll need to do a bit of soldering, as I've not seen adapters.

Reply 2 of 23, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I can put it in this way:

IMAG0614.jpg

Of course it needs to be the other way around. The little plastic bar prevents me from just flipping the connector. I could just break off the bar?
BTW, I was under the impression that yellow was 12V and the red one was RPM/optional.

Reply 3 of 23, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dada wrote:
Well, I can put it in this way: […]
Show full quote

Well, I can put it in this way:

IMAG0614.jpg

Of course it needs to be the other way around. The little plastic bar prevents me from just flipping the connector. I could just break off the bar?
BTW, I was under the impression that yellow was 12V and the red one was RPM/optional.

Black is usually ground, and red is usually +12v.

It's DC, does it run like it is now? The fan might just spin backwards (and work less efficiently). I suppose it could also crap out sometime down the line, but I doubt it.

You could also break it off too, but that seems harsh on the old girl. Can you pull the plastic guide off of the motherboard? Sometimes they will slide out with some finagling, but other times you'll kill the connector completely. Give it a gentle pull and see what happens.

Reply 4 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SavantStrike wrote:

It's DC, does it run like it is now? The fan might just spin backwards (and work less efficiently).

Nope, I did it once and the fan FRIED!
Twas some crazy old overclocking experiment back in my newbie days 😁

Shouldn't be TOO hard to just use another fan (preferably one with molex instead of the fan connector, or use a fanheader2molex adapter), or a different HSF altogether.
If you're unsure and want to experiment, test with an expendable (noisy or rattling) fan first 😉

If it needs to be on the connector the other way around, yes you could break it off. I'm just not sure if it will stay in the connector that way?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 23, by fluxit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The female "pins" are easily removed from the plug by pressure applied to the exposed area of metal(on the side of the plug) for each pin, while pulling gently on the wire.

Reply 6 of 23, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went ahead and pushed back the little plastic guide. I didn't have to break it off like I thought. The fan now works fine after flipping the connector. 😀 Thanks for your help!

Reply 7 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dada wrote:

Went ahead and pushed back the little plastic guide. I didn't have to break it off like I thought. The fan now works fine after flipping the connector. 😀 Thanks for your help!

Thats good news! And always a + if you test something out without anything breaking!

Hmm...a tidbit of information I just recollected. The oldest motherboard with an onboard fan header I ever saw was a Socket 3!
It's mentioned in TH99 along with the mention theres a fan header somewhere on the motherboard, but mentions it's present location is unknown.
If only us Vogoners could update some of the files there...
I do actually in my offline database, like undocumented jumper settings and stuff.

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 23, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Nope, I did it once and the fan FRIED! Twas some crazy old overclocking experiment back in my newbie days :D […]
Show full quote
SavantStrike wrote:

It's DC, does it run like it is now? The fan might just spin backwards (and work less efficiently).

Nope, I did it once and the fan FRIED!
Twas some crazy old overclocking experiment back in my newbie days 😁

Shouldn't be TOO hard to just use another fan (preferably one with molex instead of the fan connector, or use a fanheader2molex adapter), or a different HSF altogether.
If you're unsure and want to experiment, test with an expendable (noisy or rattling) fan first 😉

If it needs to be on the connector the other way around, yes you could break it off. I'm just not sure if it will stay in the connector that way?

Interesting. I suppose there are a ton of different designs to factor in when running things with reversed voltage 🤣.

And pulling the pins from the plug is a much better idea, so that was sage advice.

Reply 9 of 23, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

You were right, it's not very stable this way. I didn't break off the plastic guide completely but I had to push it back a little. Guess I'll go out and buy some tape tomorrow and then I'll carefully try to tape it to the guide.

Reply 10 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theres also 5cm fans that you can hook up to a Molex. This was very common during the P1 and before age 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 23, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, taping the thing to the plastic guide wasn't a good plan. Just far too tiny. So I'm going to just buy a 3 pin to 2 pin adapter.

Reply 12 of 23, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm going to just buy a 3 pin to 2 pin adaptor.

Which is still not going to do you any good because the header on that motherboard is wired opposite of the modern standard fan header. Perhaps you should consider listening to the people who already suggested swapping the wires around in your existing 3-pin connector. Remove red and black wires from housing, switch them around, clip them back in, problem solved.

Reply 13 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Which is still not going to do you any good because the header on that motherboard is wired opposite of the modern standard fan header. Perhaps you should consider listening to the people who already suggested swapping the wires around in your existing 3-pin connector. Remove red and black wires from housing, switch them around, clip them back in, problem solved.

Or just use a Molex 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 23, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

You're right. 😀 I was just really afraid that I'd break it but I tried it and it was far easier than I expected.

So looks like everything works now! Here's the tentative result:

IMAG0637.jpg

IMAG0641.jpg

Time to format, reinstall and search for drivers.

Reply 16 of 23, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I bought the AEK from someone who was clearing out his attic, practically for free. 😀 Need to figure out if I can set things up so that I can use it on this computer, that would be perfect (it's connected to the Powerbook G4 right now, through ADB/USB adapter).

Reply 17 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What game is that btw?

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 23, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Tyrian 2000, fantastic game that was released open source a few years ago: http://code.google.com/p/opentyrian/
If you want to use Dosbox, google for the original which is now freeware.

Reply 19 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheers! I think I already downloaded it not that long ago actually 😀

Course I won't be playing it in Dosbox though 😜

Report spammers here!