Reply 20 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I forgot to add, I'd die to get me hands on a Socket 3 ATX board! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

Do those even exist? If there's an ATX 486 motherboard at all I would think it would be Socket 6. I've never seen even a late PCI 486 motherboard that was in ATX configuration and used an ATX PSU.

Reply 22 of 47, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Do those even exist? If there's an ATX 486 motherboard at all I would think it would be Socket 6. I've never seen even a late PCI 486 motherboard that was in ATX configuration and used an ATX PSU.

I very much doubt such a board exists, even though (looking back) there was "an" opportunity for manufacturers to produce one, but none of the manufacturers actually went through the effort to build one 🙁 🙁 🙁
Afaik the oldest ATX board was made by Intel and comes with a VX chipset.

I wish they existed though, such a board would've been A-WE-SOME!!!11 ;D

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 47, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SavantStrike wrote:

Or an attractive 8 or 10 bay AT case with a three piece side panel design rather than the single U shaped side panel that is oh so common, and at a price that doesn't cost a fortune. And I mean true AT, not just ATX that supports AT.

Ask, and you shall receive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-BAY-FULL-TOWER-SERVER- … =item51939ec0fd

I personally would kill for one of those NCR Worldmark 4380s

That's an 8-CPU PPro machine that can take up to 8GB of EDO DIMMs and has 10 or 15 PCI slots and 4 EISA slots... Good enough? I've found where NCR seems to be selling some old stock of them... but it's not completely worth the 10 grand they're asking for it...

Reply 24 of 47, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for those of you looking for sound cards, check this thread on a regularly basis: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … e-Tracker/page7

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 25 of 47, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dant wrote:
Ask, and you shall receive. […]
Show full quote
SavantStrike wrote:

Or an attractive 8 or 10 bay AT case with a three piece side panel design rather than the single U shaped side panel that is oh so common, and at a price that doesn't cost a fortune. And I mean true AT, not just ATX that supports AT.

That's an 8-CPU PPro machine that can take up to 8GB of EDO DIMMs and has 10 or 15 PCI slots and 4 EISA slots... Good enough? I've found where NCR seems to be selling some old stock of them... but it's not completely worth the 10 grand they're asking for it...

Good gracious thats huge!

Tempting though...

Reply 27 of 47, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that's one of the rare few cases that even support the weird extended AT boards, like these beasts... notice the four slots above the keyboard hole.

Reply 28 of 47, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Wow, that's one of the rare few cases that even support the weird extended AT boards, like these beasts... notice the four slots above the keyboard hole.

That board is obnoxious...

NT/2k glide rig with one of the Quantum3d Cards with twin Voodoo Graphics maybe. It's kind of a shame though with 6 ISA slots. It demands Win9X or DOS as well. One could populate that with some serious sound cards.

Reply 31 of 47, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:
SGI InfiniteReality. :-) […]
Show full quote

SGI InfiniteReality. 😀

sgi_020726.jpg

Voodoo 5 6000

Matrox G800

3DO M2

*drools*

I cannot fathom how much it would cost to run such an animal though.

But the M2. Now that's a good one! Weren't there some stripped down kiosks loosely based on the design?

Reply 32 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup the M2 hardware was finished but Matsushita decided not to turn it into a game console after all. Probably a good move considering it would have come out around when Dreamcast showed up and been completely blown away by it.

There are a few arcade games that used it but otherwise it was only used for kiosks as you say.

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/pg90-3do2.htm
http://nfggames.com/games/polystars/
http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=575

Reply 33 of 47, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SavantStrike wrote:

NT/2k glide rig with one of the Quantum3d Cards with twin Voodoo Graphics maybe. It's kind of a shame though with 6 ISA slots. It demands Win9X or DOS as well. One could populate that with some serious sound cards.

I would agree with you, but it's a Dual Socket 5 board, so it maxes out at 180MHZ with MMX overdrives...

luckybob wrote:

Just like the P65up8 board that I will never have.

Sad

I went back and read the opening post more closely, that thing is beastly!

Also, Since when is there a chipset that supports Socket 7 AND Socket 8 AND Slot 1... AND SMP at that!!?!?

Reply 34 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dant wrote:
luckybob wrote:

Sad

Also, Since when is there a chipset that supports Socket 7 AND Socket 8 AND Slot 1... AND SMP at that!!?!?

Its because the north-bridge is on the cpu card. The south-bridge is on the motherboard and it was designed to accept any 440 class north-bridge.

Also, socket 8 and slot 1 and by extension socket 370 are all electrically compatible. I have a pair of socket 8 to slot 1 adapters. Its a shame the Pentium pro refuses to work with agp otherwise I'd put them in my Asus p2b-ds. 😜 I can get the board to post with the p-pro but the bios freaks out and doesn't know what to do so it crashes.

And while we are on the subject. The socket 8 to slot 1 adapters are HELL to find.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 35 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dant wrote:
I would agree with you, but it's a Dual Socket 5 board, so it maxes out at 180MHZ with MMX overdrives... […]
Show full quote
SavantStrike wrote:

I would agree with you, but it's a Dual Socket 5 board, so it maxes out at 180MHZ with MMX overdrives...

luckybob wrote:

Sad

Sounds like the perfect motherboard for a Bitchin' Fast 3D.

Reply 36 of 47, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

Its because the north-bridge is on the cpu card. The south-bridge is on the motherboard and it was designed to accept any 440 class north-bridge.

Also, socket 8 and slot 1 and by extension socket 370 are all electrically compatible. I have a pair of socket 8 to slot 1 adapters. Its a shame the Pentium pro refuses to work with agp otherwise I'd put them in my Asus p2b-ds. 😜 I can get the board to post with the p-pro but the bios freaks out and doesn't know what to do so it crashes.

And while we are on the subject. The socket 8 to slot 1 adapters are HELL to find.

I knew about Socket 8, Slot 1, and Socket 370 being almost identical. Interesting they went for that kind of design.

Since the 440FX northbridge could drive Socket 8 and Slot 1 CPUs, Does it use that for both Slot 1 and Socket 8 or (Hopefully) does it use a 440BX for Slot 1?

The reason AGP doesn't work with PPros and Socket 8 Slotkets are so hard to find is that only one Slot 1 chipset supported them, the 440FX which didn't support AGP.

The P2B-DS is a 440BX board (Proud owner of a P2B-D)

Reply 37 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dant wrote:
I knew about Socket 8, Slot 1, and Socket 370 being almost identical. Interesting they went for that kind of design. […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

I knew about Socket 8, Slot 1, and Socket 370 being almost identical. Interesting they went for that kind of design.

Since the 440FX northbridge could drive Socket 8 and Slot 1 CPUs, Does it use that for both Slot 1 and Socket 8 or (Hopefully) does it use a 440BX for Slot 1?

The reason AGP doesn't work with PPros and Socket 8 Slotkets are so hard to find is that only one Slot 1 chipset supported them, the 440FX which didn't support AGP.

The P2B-DS is a 440BX board (Proud owner of a P2B-D)

That's weird seeing a Slot 1 motherboard without an AGP slot. Google for pictures of the Shuttle HOT-623, the ABit AN6, AOpen AX6F and the Tyan S1682. Was 440FX a server chipset?

Reply 38 of 47, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dant wrote:
Ask, and you shall receive. […]
Show full quote
SavantStrike wrote:

I ordered an 8-bay from those guys in May and it still hasn't arrived yet.

Reply 39 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

That's weird seeing a Slot 1 motherboard without an AGP slot. Google for pictures of the Shuttle HOT-623, the ABit AN6, AOpen AX6F and the Tyan S1682. Was 440FX a server chipset?

440FX is the desktop/workstation chipset for PPro and Klamath PII. It was primarily for Pentium Pro but was used for the Klamath PII chips for a short while until 440LX came out.