VOGONS

First post, by amstrad1640

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I can't to use a CMD648 IDE (100) controler on my 486 computer (POD 100 on PB4 abit PCI) to replace the onboard IDE.
I can to install it with boot on the onboard IDE in windows98se, i turn off computer .I connect the hardrive on the CMD486 IDE controler, i turn on computer and i disable harddrive in bios or i use auto detect, and i can to boot under Dos (windows98se dos 😉 ) but i can't to lauch windows 98se. Perhaps i must to disable udma, if i disable it, it's like the onboard IDE PB4 (i don't have driver to use it in winows98se...)
I can to lauch with onboard IDE + CMD648 IDE (>>without hardrive connected on it)
Bye.

Reply 2 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It does sound like a problem with dma accesses. It may be a compatibility issue with the mobo chipset and CMD648. Frequently on 486 boards the PCI has essentially non functional DMA busmaster transfer support. But I have had a Promise Ultra66 at least working on a SiS 496 board.

Also, as far as I know, no 486 onboard ATA controllers support DMA. This first arrived with the Intel PIIX southbridge. The MS 98 driver should be fine any IDE controller.

I actually think you should try Win95 instead. Much faster on a 486.

Reply 3 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd get a SCSI controller board for a 486. SCSI drivers were much faster than any other drives available at the time of the 486. If you're going to be playing any games that access the hard drive from time to time, like when you finish a level of a game and are waiting for the next level to load, you'll notice a big reduction in wait times.

Reply 4 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It won't be easy though to find a SCSI drive that's quieter then their IDE versions though, but of course this depends solely on what the TS's personal preference is.
If IDE (or a PCI IDE controller) won't work whatsoever, then SCSI seems to be the best way out,

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 7, by amstrad1640

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you have in bios set Boot to SCSI option

No, but i can to use scsi controller PCI after disable IDE onboard controller to boot on SCSI.

I only want to use my IDE harddrive with DMA ...

I don't know that i can't to use DMA on a 486, now i use the onboard IDE with the standard IDE driver (of windows98se) because there isn't windows98se drivers for the onboard IDE PB4 Abit.

When i will have a fast SCSI drive i will use SCSI

Thanx 😀

Ps: The IDE drivers (find in google) allow only 32bit access for dos/windows 3.1/Nt3.5/Os2/sco/unix there isn't DMA support...

Reply 6 of 7, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe the problem is which I take it that is a Asus CMD648 IDE?, It a PCI 2.1 spec and it Asus is RAID Controller.
You want look for a old Promise Ultra 33 card
Have you try using 40wire IDE cables and 80wire both ways?.
Have you try install the Windows 98 on that Controller and that Drive don't for get add the dos drivers to boot setup disc and win9x drivers.

Reply 7 of 7, by amstrad1640

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When i use the PCI CMD-648, i can to boot to dos, i can to use it.
On windows, windows don't wan't to launch completly, and stop with black screen.

It's parhaps because i don't use the good drivers, i find it on google. The install menu say me drivers for PCI-64, and i reboot, i run windows ok when i don't boot on the PCI CMD-648 (without harddrive) and i use the onboard IDE controller for the harddrive.

Windows detect the card as au PCI Raid Udma controller.

one pic:
here

The IDE connectors are blue not black or me, but there is the same pic on the chip, i don't know what is the manufacturer? to find the good driver. But now i'm gooing tu use SCSI, i don't have again a sca to 68 scsi to use my sca hardrive but i buy it yesterday...