VOGONS

First post, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering if s3 virge based cards with a tv-out will output to both connected tv-out and VGA at boot time.

ATI cards do it, but not nvidia cards. Nvidia will only output to tv-out at boot if no vga is connected.

I was wondering how would behave a s3 virge card in this regard, i could not find reliable information, not even a gx2 manual 🙁

Any lead is appreciated, im tempted to get a virge GX2 for my dos rig, would be happy if it could output both vga and tv.

thanks

Last edited by MaxWar on 2011-09-22, 05:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 57, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: i no longer want a GX2. I read on the 3drealms forum that Terminal velocity virge patch only works with first generation virge chips...

TV is one of my all time favourite dos game and main reason i want a virge.

Now first generation are bound to only come in pci ... buggers... 🙁

Reply 3 of 57, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had played TV with a virge card... the "acceleration" was just a bilinear filter on the textures, I don't remember any other speed up...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 57, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Terminal Velocity can be patched to support other Virge cards then vanilla 325. However GX2 and MX suffers from artefacts, mostly flashing ground surfaces.

Virge version besides filtering reduces some shimmering on farther textures and also does perspective correction.

the patch: http://vintage3d.org/data/s3dpatch.zip

Reply 5 of 57, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:

Terminal Velocity can be patched to support other Virge cards then vanilla 325. However GX2 and MX suffers from artefacts, mostly flashing ground surfaces.

Virge version besides filtering reduces some shimmering on farther textures and also does perspective correction.

This is interesting, the way i planned my rig, i probably will not have the free pci slot needed by the 325. Already have a diamond monster 3d, a soundcard and a nic in there. Last free pci is unusable because of isa proximity, this is why i planned using agp. I also like tv-out but i think ill rather get one of those gadget that splits vga into Vga + svido +composite.

Last edited by MaxWar on 2011-08-29, 21:23. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 57, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:
Putas wrote:

This is interesting, the way i planned my rig, i probably will not have the free pci slot needed by the 325. Already have a diamond monster 3d, a soundcard and a nic in there. Last free pci is unusable because of isa proximity, this is why i planned using agp. I also like tv-out but i think ill rather get one of those gadget that splits vga into Vga + svido +composite.

Can the game be played with a Savage? That might be a better alternative if you really want an S3 AGP card and the game works with it.

Reply 8 of 57, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:

I found another version of this patch, it seems to be a general purpose patch.

http://www.servodata.com.pl/ftp/ELSA/GRAPHICS … ARE/S3DTOOL.ZIP

Supposedly its made specifically to use later virge chipset with the 325 designed games. Seems like earlier version or something, file sizes are much smaller. It also comes with a VxD driver !!

Reply 9 of 57, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one is not compatible with AGP Virges. Later s3dsrvr is bigger because it contains dos4gw in itself. Could the vxd be for Windows s3d games? It is on other driver releases as well. Does not help me run Croc, the only win s3d game I have, to run on AGP Virges.

The newer one works with Trio3D (/2X) under DOS, in windows it sets some screen modes my display does not accept.

Reply 10 of 57, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am tempted to find myself a diamond stealth 3d 4000.
You can usually get them for a descent price.

I still cannot be assured it will run older s3 titles to my expectations but its still a cool piece of history to own, ive always liked diamond cards anyway.

Reply 12 of 57, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received my s3 cards today. TV in dos will work with the Trio virge v1.3, but Slowly, too slow with an occasional glitch . ITs faster with software renderer.

It wants to work with trio 3d/2x but its even slower i think and the screen flashes like it wants me to get epileptic.

What a load of crap, a good thing i did not pay much for those cards.

I would still be curious though as to whether one of the S3 virge cards variation can actualy play "accelerated" TV properly .

Reply 16 of 57, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made another test.
First computer i tried the trio virge + TV was a celeron 500 256mb sdram under dos.

So i built another rig, this time a P4 1.8 512 mb rambus and i tried the trio virge + TV with it.

I would swear its faster! frame rate is not impressive but it is actually descent. I dont think its much faster than on other machine but it still surprises me because i thought the s3 virge would have been the definitive bottleneck even on a celeron 500 system.

Funny thing is there is strange shifting texture behavior. Like the textures are slightly shifting position as you move. It looks as though the land is alive. Kinda creepy. I dont remember this happening on the 500 mhz ..

As for overclocking the card, i dont think my current p4 board allows this. I also touched the S3 chip after 30 min of TV demo and its pretty hot, the poor thing is working hard. If there was a way to overclock it like crazy and heatsink+ Fan it, that might be very funny.

So it seems i still have tests to do , i decided i was not done with s3 cards and ordered a S3 Virge DX. Another 20$ down the wazoo, i hope its worth it. DX should be around 33% faster than a classic virge i believe, + overclocking possibility that might just be able to run TV properly.

Probably should start a new topic with a more specific title though and relate my exploration of the S3d world 😜

Reply 17 of 57, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you mean by Trio Virge? If it is Trio 3D it should be faster then DX, but overclocking can change it. I don't remember floating textures, check if you have poly set to perspect. I am also surprised by the cpu dependency. It is possible that developers did not use whole pipeline and employed only selected features of the wimp.

Reply 18 of 57, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:

What do you mean by Trio Virge?

P1030187.JPG
Its probably just like a 325 , as i do not need anything but the original S3D TV patch , no S3DSRVR and such . I also have the trio 3d ( does not work) and trio 3d/2x (Glitchy as hell )

Reply 19 of 57, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes this is vannila Virge, DX should be substantial upgrade. I would not be worried about temperatures, graphics chips are kinda hard to kill by overheating and S3 was typically conservative and low powered.