VOGONS

8mb V2 vs 12mb

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a bad idea because when things go wrong accusations fly which may have legal ramifications for the forum owners and possibly any member foolish enough to get in the middle of it.

Reply 21 of 37, by Machine_1760

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

agreed, I can see some logic in disallowing ALL trades.
I do think, however, that in the case of two active forum members exchanging parts with no monies involved that the risk of ostracism would be enough to ensure fair play.

just my opinion, I'll fully comply with this rule from this point onwards! 😀

Reply 22 of 37, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Machine_1760 wrote:

I do think, however, that in the case of two active forum members exchanging parts with no monies involved that the risk of ostracism would be enough to ensure fair play.

I don't think trading should be disallowed, you should just need to have a certain post count and have been registered to the site for a long time.

Reply 23 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

This discussion has been had. If you want to trade you need to go to another forum.
Post counts or forum activity are irrelevant, it doesn't make a trade more trustworthy.

Reply 24 of 37, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RichB93 wrote:
Machine_1760 wrote:

I don't think trading should be disallowed, you should just need to have a certain post count and have been registered to the site for a long time.

Dominus wrote:

This discussion has been had. If you want to trade you need to go to another forum.
Post counts or forum activity are irrelevant, it doesn't make a trade more trustworthy.

I tend to agree with RichB93 but Dominus is right, we had this discussion before. Personally I wouldn't mind having a private invite-only subforum for the people dealing with hardware but the decision has already been made. Better take it up in PM I guess...

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 37, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:

My point is that I've never heard or read a report of a successful 8 + 12 MB SLI. I mean someone actually doing it by themselves. I encourage anyone who has both models to give it a try and report back. I'd do it myself if I had an 8MB Voodoo2.

Hi batracio, here you are another report of a successful 8 + 12 SLI. I have recently "found" an 8 MB Diamond Monster II rev. A that I paired with my 12 MB Diamond Monster II rev. A (same Voodoo2 brand, same PCB revision, same memory brand though in different amounts), using 3.03.00 reference driver, and guess what? 3dfx control panel properly detects SLI with a total memory size of 4 MB, and every game I have tried so far runs perfectly: Asghan (Glide), glQuake (OpenGL) and TR4 (Direct3D). The fact that the two cards are almost identical excepting for the memory size may have something to do with their compatibility (both were even made almost at the same time, with a week of difference). So yes, 8 + 12 MB Voodoo2 SLI is possible!!!

Reply 26 of 37, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:
batracio wrote:

My point is that I've never heard or read a report of a successful 8 + 12 MB SLI. I mean someone actually doing it by themselves. I encourage anyone who has both models to give it a try and report back. I'd do it myself if I had an 8MB Voodoo2.

Hi batracio, here you are another report of a successful 8 + 12 SLI. I have recently "found" an 8 MB Diamond Monster II rev. A that I paired with my 12 MB Diamond Monster II rev. A (same Voodoo2 brand, same PCB revision, same memory brand though in different amounts), using 3.03.00 reference driver, and guess what? 3dfx control panel properly detects SLI with a total memory size of 4 MB, and every game I have tried so far runs perfectly: Asghan (Glide), glQuake (OpenGL) and TR4 (Direct3D). The fact that the two cards are almost identical excepting for the memory size may have something to do with their compatibility (both were even made almost at the same time, with a week of difference). So yes, 8 + 12 MB Voodoo2 SLI is possible!!!

Hola! 3dfx control panel properly detecting SLI with a total memory size of 4 MB is strange or to be expected? And wich is better, a single Voodoo2 12MB, or a SLI 8MB+12MB? Thanks.

Reply 27 of 37, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your effective memory should be 4mb (frame buffer) x2 plus the texture memory of the 8mb card so that your effective memory will only be 12mb total when using both cards. So you lose 4mb on the 12mb card due to textures needing to be mirrored, so it should act like a 8mb card. The total for two 12mb cards is only 16mb as the texture is mirrored but frame scales (adds up).

The 8mb double sided cards can be modded into 12mb editions but ones needs some spare memory chips of the same capacity. The V2 can support up to 20mb if it were modded correctly but no one knows the right pins for the needed timing. The card has no bios and the texture units support even more memory but good luck finding the chips for the job.

Known memory config for the v2
6MB: 2mbFreame + 4mb Texture
8MB: 4mbFrame + 4mb Texture
10MB: 2mbFrame + 8mb Texture
12MB 4mbFrame + 8mb Texture
Possible mods
20MB 4mb Frame + 16mb Texture
36MB 4mb Frame + 32mb Texture

Texture for all cards includes the total texture for the whole card while the supported memory according to white doc for the TMU unit used is maxed out at 16MB while for the V1 is 8mb. The frame buffer for both V1 and V2 is 4mb.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 29 of 37, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Your effective memory should be 4mb (frame buffer) x2 plus the texture memory of the 8mb card so that your effective memory will only be 12mb total when using both cards. So you lose 4mb on the 12mb card due to textures needing to be mirrored

Cool. That sums it up! Nice synthesis skills.

Davros wrote:

ps: you wont get the cockpit view on nfs 3 with a 8mb v2 only 12mb

We can´t let that happen now can we? 😉
But if I understood nforce4max correctly, a 8MB + 12MB SLI , effectively a 8MB+8MB SLI can managed the cockpit view on nfs3, right? Because with that config we should have 12MB. Or do you mean that only with 16MB (12MB+12MB) do we have access to such treat?

Reply 30 of 37, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Filosofia wrote:
Cool. That sums it up! Nice synthesis skills. […]
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:

Your effective memory should be 4mb (frame buffer) x2 plus the texture memory of the 8mb card so that your effective memory will only be 12mb total when using both cards. So you lose 4mb on the 12mb card due to textures needing to be mirrored

Cool. That sums it up! Nice synthesis skills.

Davros wrote:

We can´t let that happen now can we? 😉
But if I understood nforce4max correctly, a 8MB + 12MB SLI , effectively a 8MB+8MB SLI can managed the cockpit view on nfs3, right? Because with that config we should have 12MB. Or do you mean that only with 16MB (12MB+12MB) do we have access to such treat?

In sli the total effective texture memory will only equal the texture memory on one card but in mixed sli it will equal the smaller card. The frame buffer adds up.

Reply 31 of 37, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

Woot 😳 😕

From my experience you get cockpit view whenever D3D or software rendering is used. If its glide - you are stuck with bumper or back cam regardless of voodoo model and RAM.

Reply 32 of 37, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elfuego wrote:
Davros wrote:

Woot 😳 😕

From my experience you get cockpit view whenever D3D or software rendering is used. If its glide - you are stuck with bumper or back cam regardless of voodoo model and RAM.

Gotten cockpit on my v3 2k but more choppy than playing crysis on a 9800 pro. 😖

Reply 33 of 37, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
elfuego wrote:
Davros wrote:

Woot 😳 😕

Gotten cockpit on my v3 2k but more choppy than playing crysis on a 9800 pro. 😖

NFS 3 doesn't have direct support for V3 out-of-the-box. Be sure to patch it correctly (refer to falconfly forum for details). When you do so, I dont believe it will run with cockpit any more, nor that it will be choppy (sounds like software renderer to me) 😀

Reply 36 of 37, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
Filosofia wrote:

Would you have difficulty choosing between a single 12MB Voodoo2 configuration and two 8MB Voodoo2 in SLI mode?

2 8mb in SLI for the higher resolution.

And if your happy with 800x600? 😊

Reply 37 of 37, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Filosofia wrote:
sliderider wrote:
Filosofia wrote:

Would you have difficulty choosing between a single 12MB Voodoo2 configuration and two 8MB Voodoo2 in SLI mode?

2 8mb in SLI for the higher resolution.

And if your happy with 800x600? 😊

800x600 isn't to bad, I beat aoe2 on that ress.