VOGONS

insane ebay prices for old tech...

Topic actions

First post, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was browsing ebay today in my usual quest to find obscure (but cheap) video cards, one of my latest hobbies.
Now I am always interested in ati/nvidia's king of the hill cards that they produce with each generation i.e. 8800gtx, 580, 2900xt etc.
Today I stumbled across the x1950xtx which I've had one in the past great card and all(got beaten buy the 8800 gtx in the race to the top),
which if I recall correctly I bought for $650 AU, back in '07.(brand new)

Today this card has it seems, appreciated in value according to one seller.
below is a link:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAPPHIRE-P-N-10017 … =item27be2f5353

current asking price US $2,399.00 and there are 5 to choose from.
it is new but for 4 times the price it originally sold for I would expect it to be encrusted in De Beers diamonds!

Reply 2 of 23, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's not even THAT old. Heck, it's not even AGP 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 23, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

It's not even THAT old. Heck, it's not even AGP 😜

if it was agp there would be atleast 25% premium on top of the price!
after all agp is highly sought after pcie cards are a dime a dozen!!!

Reply 6 of 23, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldnt never buy at that prices.. Thats crazy.. As you guys mentioned its not RARE at all.. And besides those cards are very easy to find on second hand sites!!.

But some stuff i have to buy for higher prices, because its so rare that its so hard to find one ever again..

Like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/150655978968#ht_3953wt_1396

Bought that kouwell (high-end) bios controller.. I paid 70 euros (included shipping, shipping is also expensive) for that bitch..
Because i needed an 1.44 mb / 1.2mb floppy controller.. With? Because cards without that bios can only use 360kb /720kb floppy drives. But i wont that..

I like i can use 1.44mb because i need universal standards.. Its 8-bit.. Then you know it could be expensive..

But I will never pay 300 dollars or more for crap..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 7 of 23, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are plenty of sellers on ebay who use buy it now listings at incredibly inflated prices. They keep the same items listed month after month without dropping the price despite it obviously not selling. They're just hoping for that one big score from someone who doesn't know better.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 8 of 23, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hater Depot wrote:

They're just hoping for that one big score from someone who doesn't know better.

I imagine someone who doesn't know better wouldn't have that kind of money in the first place.

Reply 9 of 23, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hater Depot wrote:

There are plenty of sellers on ebay who use buy it now listings at incredibly inflated prices. They keep the same items listed month after month without dropping the price despite it obviously not selling. They're just hoping for that one big score from someone who doesn't know better.

Yeah i know, but sometimes you have no choices when you are building old machines. Then you know its hard to come by good stuff in the year 2011. Then you have to pay.. Then you could be glad if you can buy an very RARE part for that price.. that i mind you never will find soon an other one of that kind.

The pros are that those money sellers, that let the old stuff live on ebay and the other sites.. otherwise you will never find it again very soon..

The bad, its costs you a lot of money if you are living in europe, and want to buy in america..

I say: Get over it, or don`t build older systems!! (like XT / 286)

Besides that 386, 486 stuff is a way easier to get!! Most of that `junk` laying on the junkyard, or getting recycled for iron!

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 10 of 23, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like this card.. what's so special about it?
http://cgi.ebay.nl/200269083424
It might be new, but it's still a crappy trident card.

Robin4 wrote:

I like i can use 1.44mb because i need universal standards.. Its 8-bit.. Then you know it could be expensive..

We already know why you want to use 1.44MB floppy's, it's in your avatar 🤣

Reply 11 of 23, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> Like this card.. what's so special about it?

"These cards are used in Hurco brand and others cnc equipment."
Similar case as the ET4000. This price is not much of a problem if a far more expensive production machine needs repair.

1+1=10

Reply 14 of 23, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

> Like this card.. what's so special about it?

"These cards are used in Hurco brand and others cnc equipment."
Similar case as the ET4000. This price is not much of a problem if a far more expensive production machine needs repair.

Ah, I didn't see that, that would explain it 😀

Reply 15 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some people post things for sale at insane prices in the hopes that someone won't know any better and buy it at that price, like the ones who keep posting the same Voodoo3 3000 PCI cards for $75.00 over and over while I buy the ones that sell for $10. 😁.

Reply 18 of 23, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You think that's bad check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPS-2000-040-Processo … =item25677618ba

He's basically trying to extort people paying his inflated price.

'Give me your money or the board gets it!'

Even if it was a fair price I wouldn't buy from a guy with such a hostile attitude.

Reply 19 of 23, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:
You think that's bad check this out... […]
Show full quote

You think that's bad check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PPS-2000-040-Processo … =item25677618ba

He's basically trying to extort people paying his inflated price.

'Give me your money or the board gets it!'

Even if it was a fair price I wouldn't buy from a guy with such a hostile attitude.

is that price really inflated? Probably. I'd imagine the board is worth $150. also, his claim that 8 4mb simms are worth $100 is also preposterous. I just did a search and found that I can go get the same simms for $4 each with shipping.

The thing is, if you look at the items that he has sold, he has been getting some good cash for some of those items. are his prices high? yes. are they completely out of line? no. I know for a fact if someone posted up an asus p65up8 motherboard in working condition i'd sell a kidney to get it.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.