VOGONS

First post, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ECS UM8810P-AIO rev 1.1 which I'm trying to use with an Am5x86-133. I have seen other people using this combo on the internet before but I'm not having any luck.

The board won't recognise the CPU. Comes up as '??? 100MHz'. It will boot with an ADZ stepping CPU but it seems quite unstable. It won't boot at all with a BDC stepping, yet its fine with a DX2/66. I've tried jumper settings for 486DX4 and Am486DXL but no luck.

Here's the jumper settings http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/E/EL … M8810P-AIO.html
My board does have the voltage regulator and I've set it to 3.45V according to the silk-screened info on the board.

Should I be using a different CPU type?

I have managed to find a BIOS on the internet, version 32J dated december 1996 (my current version is dated november 1994). However the BIOS chip on my board is of type 27C010A-15 which I believe is NOT a flash EPROM. Interestingly, according to the above link there is a jumper setting for 5V/12V flash EPROM, and these jumpers are open on my board.

So I'm a bit confused. Is it possible to flash this BIOS, or will I need to get it UV erased and reprogrammed?

Reply 2 of 18, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, looks like I can buy those chips NOS off ebay. Can I hotswap the BIOS chips and program the new one with this board? What should the 5v/12v be set to?

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 18, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

EPROM (27C010) -> Has to be programmed by an external programmer, I wouldn't change the jumper.

Flash -> Do you know which flash chips the mainboard and flashing software, if it exists, support? Then it depends on the chip wether 5V/12V are to be selected.

28F010 needs 12V
29F010 5V or open

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 18, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should be able to hotswap with an AM28F010A cip and flash that right?
The flash program that came with the BIOS file is just FLASH36.exe and doesn't have any further info.
But I think uniflash should work with my motherboard and that flash EPROM

Reply 5 of 18, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a bit of a bump... I did manage to get this to work 😀

I bought a G540 USB programmer off ebay, its cheap and nasty but does the job.

The flash EPROMs I ordered never turned up 🙁

But I did find a dead Socket 7 motherboard with a W29C020C flash EPROM on it for a donor.

So the first problem was that the 29C020C is a 2Mbit chip, while the 27C010 that was in the board is only 1Mbit.

That's easily solved by making appending copy of the BIOS binary file to itself with this command:
copy /b 8810w32j.bin + 8810w32j.bin 8810bios.bin

This way, the 1Mbit BIOS can be programmed into the 2MBit chip.

Once that's done and installed in the motherboard, I set the jumpers for 'SL-DX/2/4', with JP29 shorted (this controls the multiplier) and JP31 set to 3-4 to set the voltage. JP34 isn't marked clearly because there's 2 caps right next to it but these jumpers go in the same direction as neighbouring JP29.

Once these are all set, on boot I was greeted with 'AM5x86-133MHz-P75' 😀

Seems to be running great now. THe new BIOS recognises the 5x86 😀

Here's the bios file if somebody happens to come across this and is trying to do the same thing: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9151127/8810AIO.32J

Reply 6 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
Just a bit of a bump... I did manage to get this to work :) […]
Show full quote

But I did find a dead Socket 7 motherboard with a W29C020C flash EPROM on it for a donor.

So the first problem was that the 29C020C is a 2Mbit chip, while the 27C010 that was in the board is only 1Mbit.

That's easily solved by making appending copy of the BIOS binary file to itself with this command:

Once that's done and installed in the motherboard, I set the jumpers for 'SL-DX/2/4', with JP29 shorted (this controls the multiplier) and JP31 set to 3-4 to set the voltage. JP34 isn't marked clearly because there's 2 caps right next to it but these jumpers go in the same direction as neighbouring JP29.

Here's the bios file if somebody happens to come across this and is trying to do the same thing: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9151127/8810AIO.32J

That's some cool information. Never knew one could use such different BIOS chips

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 18, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
So the first problem was that the 29C020C is a 2Mbit chip, while the 27C010 that was in the board is only 1Mbit. […]
Show full quote

I'd have a bad feeling though if the additional address line floats (unconnected input). It can cause the chip to heat up.

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 18, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd have a bad feeling though if the additional address line floats (unconnected input). It can cause the chip to heat up.

Would a better option be to bend the highest address line pin up so its not contacting the socket?

or just use some wire and connect the highest line to the second highest?

Reply 10 of 18, by Timmerman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DonutKing wrote on 2011-11-19, 13:26:
Show full quote

I have the same board and have a broken BIOS chip. Do you still have your BIOS file that was hosted on DropBox? so I can reflash a new chip? Unfortunately the link is down.
And which software did you use to flash the chip?

Reply 11 of 18, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Timmerman wrote on 2021-08-20, 12:12:
DonutKing wrote on 2011-11-19, 13:26:
Show full quote

I have the same board and have a broken BIOS chip. Do you still have your BIOS file that was hosted on DropBox? so I can reflash a new chip? Unfortunately the link is down.
And which software did you use to flash the chip?

I truely hope you find your answer, and with this group you very well might. That being said, I think this situation calls for some xkcd:

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png
"All long help threads should have a sticky globally-editable post at the top saying 'DEAR PEOPLE FROM THE FUTURE: Here's what we've figured out so far ...'"
https://xkcd.com/979/

This isn't exactly the situation here, as a solution once existed. All the same, it reminded me of this!

Reply 12 of 18, by Timmerman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I truely hope you find your answer, and with this group you very well might. That being said, I think this situation calls for s […]
Show full quote

I truely hope you find your answer, and with this group you very well might. That being said, I think this situation calls for some xkcd:

"All long help threads should have a sticky globally-editable post at the top saying 'DEAR PEOPLE FROM THE FUTURE: Here's what we've figured out so far ...'"

This isn't exactly the situation here, as a solution once existed. All the same, it reminded me of this!

Thanks 😀 That is certainly the case here.
I really hope I can bring this board back to life...

Reply 13 of 18, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Timmerman wrote on 2021-08-20, 12:43:
I truely hope you find your answer, and with this group you very well might. That being said, I think this situation calls for s […]
Show full quote

Thanks 😀 That is certainly the case here.
I really hope I can bring this board back to life...

I'm sorry to report that I don't have a copy of this file any more 🙁 I don't even have that board any more 😒
I've looked around for a while but haven't been able to dig up this file anywhere.

To answer your question about how I burned the ROM, I had a G540 USB programmer that came with software to program the chips. Last time I used this (seveal years ago) it wouldn't work under windows 10.

Reply 14 of 18, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schlomoe99 wrote on 2021-08-20, 12:26:
Show full quote

Classic xkcd.. heh, even worse though, is when you google a piece of hardware model number, and the single result is you, two decades ago, when you last had it out and asked on a forum about it, no replies 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 18, by Timmerman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry to report that I don't have a copy of this file any more 🙁 I don't even have that board any more 😒
I've looked around for a while but haven't been able to dig up this file anywhere.

To answer your question about how I burned the ROM, I had a G540 USB programmer that came with software to program the chips. Last time I used this (seveal years ago) it wouldn't work under windows 10.

Thanks for your effort, much appreciated!
Because the G540 doesn't seem to be available anymore I ordered another (cheap) flasher. I also found the BIOS file online it seems.
I will keep you updated on the progress.

Reply 17 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Timmerman wrote on 2021-08-27, 06:24:

Hi guys, I managed to revive the board using a TL866II Plus programmer and the BIOS file I found online.

Awesome! 👍
Would you care uploading the BIOS file here in case somebody else stumbles across thus thread with the same problem?

Reply 18 of 18, by Timmerman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome! 👍
Would you care uploading the BIOS file here in case somebody else stumbles across thus thread with the same problem?

Of course, good idea. Here you go.

Attachments

• Filename
    8810AIO.7z
    File size
    93.97 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license
    Public domain