VOGONS

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just built a windows 2000 machine, with 2gb ram, p4 640 3.2ghz, sata hd. Runs dead quick. At least it did at first but it's now dog slow on the internet - it takes ages just to call up te web interface to my router, and getting google or other sites up is impossible. It spends ages waiting for a response though it does seem to get ip addresses, just nothing ever seems to appear even after literally a couple of minutes waiting. The network connection claims to be working at 100 mbps.

Any ideas what to look for? I've never seen this problem before. It's a fresh install apart from installing and uninstalling the graphics card and a pvr 150, and changing registry settings for hkeylocalmachine\currentcontrolset\system\enum\pci.

Reply 2 of 9, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Checked for packet loss when pinging the router, etc? it could even be as simple as a bad cable somewhere in the works...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 9, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

Checked for packet loss when pinging the router, etc? it could even be as simple as a bad cable somewhere in the works...

That has been my experience as well.

Reply 6 of 9, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

another possible problem is incorrect duplex
negotiation.

you may try setting your computer at full rather than
auto and if that is no better then try half.

alternatively should you have a managed switch
set both switch and computer to full at either end.

most cheap switches are unmanaged and are always auto.

test the connection before and after of course.

bye

edit:spelling

Reply 8 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Before tearing apart Win2k, try a live Linux CD and see if the same problem occurs there. (Of course, there might be entirely new and different reasons why a live CD might have poor network performance, but if it does work, at least then you can rule out hardware problems.)