l33t
Malik wrote:
Yes, you can: […]
Show full quote

Yes, you can:

Method 1 :

6202493660_c7345db967_b.jpg

(Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

This diagram does contain an inaccuracy, namely that the data from the computer enters the unit from the "TO COMPUTER" DB-25 pin port, not the MIDI IN.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 22 of 25, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

I see... I have an SB16 in my 486 which has a working MIDI port but I've also got a daughterboard attached to it... so if you want to use Sound Blaster digital sound plus an external MIDI device it gets a bit confusing 😜

My solution: Turn internal MIDI volume to zero by default. So you'll only hear the MIDI sound coming from the external devices to the line in port.

If I want to use the AWE32 or DB50XG MIDI sounds, I use the Creative DOS tool (I believe it's SB16SET) to temporarily turn up the MIDI volume and switch the line into the GUS since it's not active and I won't get anything through the line in port that way.

::42::

Reply 23 of 25, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A 'deluxe' solution would be to use an audio mixer to connect all the audio outputs to (soundcard, midi modules). That way you can just turn up the volume of the devices that you want to hear and mute the ones that you don't want to hear.
I have a setup like this (several MIDI modules daisy chained using MIDI IN and MIDI THRU) with the audio outputs going to an Edirol mixer, which is hooked up to my amplifier. This also makes it easy to compare MIDI playback of several devices. I realize that this would cost money that you may not want to spend, but it is a nice alternative.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 24 of 25, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CHiLL72 wrote:

A 'deluxe' solution would be to use an audio mixer to connect all the audio outputs to (soundcard, midi modules). That way you can just turn up the volume of the devices that you want to hear and mute the ones that you don't want to hear.
I have a setup like this (several MIDI modules daisy chained using MIDI IN and MIDI THRU) with the audio outputs going to an Edirol mixer, which is hooked up to my amplifier. This also makes it easy to compare MIDI playback of several devices. I realize that this would cost money that you may not want to spend, but it is a nice alternative.

This is what i do, i have a 10 tracks mixer at my retro computer post.