VOGONS

First post, by lucasdaytona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, before any questions, I would like to thank all people from Vogons, I always read the posts, and now I made a login to me. Thank you!
Now, the part where I need help:

1)First, sorry about the bad english.
2)I've got a Gravis Ultrasound MAX Rev 1.8 1MB, and the card simply do not work, let me explain better:

a)The card was bought from ebay, there's no visual issues, the card looks great, like new.

b)I've installed her on a 386-40 motherboard (I'm in college, when gets home I will write the correct name), the system boots up ok, when I run setup.exe (from ver 4.11 drivers) in the part of the irq/dma tests, the system always hang, in every selection. Maybe a conflict? I've removed every board (except video and HDD controller), the hang continue. When I run conscan.exe the card is correctly located in the 220h port.Take a look in BIOS, tried a lot of different settings, but no luck.

c)Same history on a TXPROII board(name when I gets home, sorry), always frozen the pc, I've tested with different adress(changed the port jumper on board). Take a look in BIOS, tried a lot of different settings, but no luck.When I run conscan.exe the card is correctly located in the 220h port.

d)The CD ports are disabled on board (JP3 on)

e)The ISA contatcs are shinning

f)I did not removed the GF1 chip.

g)I'm getting crazy, tomorrow I will test the card with anoter boards (I have a lot to test), but I need some advice from the GUS masters.

h)I plan to use her with a SCC-1 (That works great), a CM-64 and a CT1330A, but I will only think in this when the GUS works.

i)Thank you.

See ya!

Best regards from Brazil!

Reply 2 of 17, by lucasdaytona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did not cleaned the card, I will try. But Ultrainit.exe freezes my computer... With various settings.

Will be a shame if I clean those shinning contacts and the card works... But a very happy shame xD

Thanks for the reply.

Reply 3 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, sorry to hear about your troubles getting your Gus MAX to work. I have one too, and although it can be *really* tricky to get configured correctly, I've never had an instance when ultrinit hung the machine. Most of the time ultrinit.exe runs correctly if you use incorrect/conflicting paramters, but when you come to use the board it doesn't work properly.

The only advice I can offer in addition to above is disable *everything* you can on your motherboard. Disable any PNP features. Boot with a minimal config.sys and try again.

I must say though, the fact that ultrinit hangs your machine is very strange.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 17, by lucasdaytona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some news,cleaning the contacts did not help. On the setup.exe the card pass ok by the codec test (32c), in every test her fails, but failing on the memory test was very curious to me, are necessary any irq to acess the card's memory? I will remove the extra mem chip, and test.

always thanks to all of you.

Reply 5 of 17, by lucasdaytona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just removed all of the removeable chips, cleaned the contacts, but still no luck. I will try on different boards.
I will keep posting what happens.

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 17, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try disabling Com2/3/4 in BIOS setup if you're not using them or changing their IRQ and try changing the parallel port (LPT1) mode and/or DMA. I had similar problems with some Fax/Modem cards.
Nunca tive uma GUS. Depois posta os resultados. 😉

Reply 9 of 17, by lucasdaytona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

two chips, only one is socket type, I removed it and tried, but the same result.
should I unsolder the other chip, and get a chip from a pci vga?
are you from Brasil?

Reply 11 of 17, by lucasdaytona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried Windows 98, it's possible to install the card, but Windows says the card could not be initialized. I had a chat with the seller, He says the card was fine, no problem at all. Also said that I did not tested it on a 386, because the card could not fail in a striped system. Well, I'm testing it with a 486 motherboard, but the results are being the same. Do not know what to do.

Thanks, and please help me.

Reply 12 of 17, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found the gus max to be a pain to install. Then once you get it up and running, adding another sound card can make it throw a wobbly even if there don't seem to be any clear resource conflicts.

I recently messed about with my 386 box, and found that my gus max was not always detected. I've cleaned the slots and contacts but it seemed as though it was a mechanical problem to do with how the card was being positioned in the slot. My motherboard acts like this sometimes with other cards. Trying the card in another slot and seeing how it's sliding in, may help.

Also, I often have to remove all other sound cards to get the gus max working. This is where I find there seem to be conflicts that you only detect by trying the card to see if it gets detected.

Finally, I forget exactly which post on here it was, but someone pointed out that the gus max used an address at 100 + baseport [I think that's it]. So if you put it at 260, it will also use 360. Think that's for the cd drive interface but not sure.

Reply 13 of 17, by m4dzr4k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GUS MAX uses the address «baseport + 100h» for CD-ROM interface. You may disable it as follows:

GUS MAX 1.7­-1.8: jumpers JP10, JP11, JP12 are disabled; JP3 — enabled.

GUS MAX 2.1: jumpers JP8, JP9, JP10 & JP13 are disabled.

If you're using CD-ROM interface, please set the interface address correctly as baseport+100h (MAX 1.7­-1.8: JP13, 2.1: JP11).

R.I.P. GravisULTRASOUND.org | Now Playing: Libretto's

Reply 14 of 17, by lucasdaytona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Test in another 2 motherboards (A ATX P3c-2000 and a 486 MB) results:

same old history, still hangs in ultrinit/setup.exe.

The P3C-2000 Bios have some options about the ISA slot, 16bit bus clock and 8 bit bus clock (tried change, but no result), they are set by default in 3.5CLK. I'm thinking in using a hair drier on the board, should I try?

Thanks!

Reply 16 of 17, by Maraakate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same board revision and number and it would always say that a GUS was not detected when running setup.exe. Tried the classic reseating, cleaning, etc. Nothing.

But, I am curious about what would be the right settings to totally disable the CD-ROM, not use any of that stuff for IRQ or DMA and use the GUS at Addr. 240.

I took the GF1 IC and swapped it in another board that would lockup trying to test IRQs or even the RAM and it allowed that card to live again.