Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Define "Best" as it's very subjective what it means :) […]
Show full quote

Define "Best" as it's very subjective what it means 😀

My recommendation would be a Super Socket 7 or a good 486 system. They are more flexible in terms of running games that are speed sensitive and having grunt to play some of the newer ones.

With a 386 you are are "stuck" in a very specific time period and a Pentium 2 and higher isn't flexible when it comes to running speed sensitive games.

If I had to pick one it would be based on an ATX Super Socket 7 board because then you can use a new ATX case, ATX PSU and all of that.

So, how well do SS7 boards work with Pentiums? I know that they're intended more for K6/K6-2 CPUs, but the idea of being able to put a lower-end Pentium system into an ATX case sounds quite tempting.

There wouldn't be much point, though. The fastest Pentium you're going to get in there in most cases is a 233 MMX. You might get a 266 Tillamook running, but usually not without issues. Even with their relatively weaker FPU's, a fast K6-2 or III of 500mhz+ will still outperform a 233 MMX easily.

This isn't really an issue for me, as I'm not really looking to play any games made beyond the mid '90s on this hypothetical rig anyways. In fact, I'd actually prefer a somewhat slower system just to better handle older, more speed-sensitive games.

Reply 22 of 40, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Is there any compatibility gains when using a 66MHz FSB P2 over a 100MHz FSB P2?

Not sure about compatibility, but has a huge impact when you have L1 disabled but L2 still enabled.

Take a look here:

timemachinefsbscaling.png

Reply 23 of 40, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Is there any compatibility gains when using a 66MHz FSB P2 over a 100MHz FSB P2?

Once, I faced random lockups while playing Little Big Adventure when running at 100MHz FSB in a PIII machine with Socket370 1GHz Coppermine CPU.

The problem was eliminated when I reduced the bus speed to 66MHz.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 24 of 40, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Once, I faced random lockups while playing Little Big Adventure when running at 100MHz FSB in a PIII machine with Socket370 1GHz Coppermine CPU.

That sounds a bit like an overheating CPU.
What did you end up with regarding a fix?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 40, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Malik wrote:

That sounds a bit like an overheating CPU.
What did you end up with regarding a fix?

It happened only with certain Dos CD games like that LBA. Otherwise there are no other problems. CPU temp. is maintained at 40+ °C.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 26 of 40, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Not sure about compatibility, but has a huge impact when you have L1 disabled but L2 still enabled.

I didn't mean with the cache off. I mean as in compatibility, i.e. borland runtime error chances

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Not sure about compatibility, but has a huge impact when you have L1 disabled but L2 still enabled. […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

Take a look here:

What program do you use to disable only L1 cache? And does this also work on a P2 or P3?

Reply 28 of 40, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So as far as Super Socket 7 boards go, what are some good models to look for, and what are some models to avoid? I'd prefer to have one in an ATX formfactor, but one in an AT formfactor would work fine as well if I can get the appropriate adapters.

Reply 29 of 40, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Menkau_ra wrote:
My rig: Asus P2B 1GHz PIII 512MB RAM GeForce3 Ti200 Quantum3D Voodoo2 200SBi Gravis Ultrasound Extreme Roland MPU401AT with OPL4 […]
Show full quote

My rig:
Asus P2B
1GHz PIII
512MB RAM
GeForce3 Ti200
Quantum3D Voodoo2 200SBi
Gravis Ultrasound Extreme
Roland MPU401AT with OPL4
Roland SC-55
Roland CM-64
Yamaha MU50

This rig covers most of the games that were made for DOS and Win98 😀

That's a rocking system you've got there. How much did you pay for that 200SBi? 😜

Reply 30 of 40, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

What program do you use to disable only L1 cache? And does this also work on a P2 or P3?

If it's a decent board it will have BIOS options for L2 and L1 cache.

But there are DOS command line tools.

I believe one is ICE.EXE and ICD.EXE (Internal Cache enable and disable) and there was another one, but can't remember the name.

If you do a google search (include VOGONS) you should find these tools quite easily.

Reply 31 of 40, by Menkau_ra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

F2bnp,
200SBi was about $400. It's the best Voodoo2 board 'cous it has heatsinks on it and it's SLI and it's QUANTUM3D. I have X-24 also but it needs something to cool it down like extra fans in the system. That's why I desided to switch it over to 200SBi.
I wish there would be Win98 drivers for Mercury Brick!!! That would be an ultimate priceless system!!! 😀

Reply 32 of 40, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Menkau_ra wrote:

F2bnp,
200SBi was about $400. It's the best Voodoo2 board 'cous it has heatsinks on it and it's SLI and it's QUANTUM3D. I have X-24 also but it needs something to cool it down like extra fans in the system. That's why I desided to switch it over to 200SBi.
I wish there would be Win98 drivers for Mercury Brick!!! That would be an ultimate priceless system!!! 😀

Cool, wish I had that kind of money to spend on my hobby 😁. Quantum3D always made awesome stuff hehe.

Reply 33 of 40, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think having a 386 or early 486 will let you play anything up until thing started coming out on cd. then you want a pentium and I think having a nice P2 setup will then keep you clear.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 34 of 40, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jwt27 wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Not sure about compatibility, but has a huge impact when you have L1 disabled but L2 still enabled. […]
Show full quote
leileilol wrote:

Take a look here:

lowering the multiplier at the minimum on the k6-2 would have a significant effect on the equivalent speed or not?

Reply 35 of 40, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sepultribe wrote:

lowering the multiplier at the minimum on the k6-2 would have a significant effect on the equivalent speed or not?

Nope it doesn't. Same goes for the other chips. Doesn't matter if your Pentium is running at 133 or at 200.

Reply 36 of 40, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I picked up a 333MHz AMD K6-2 box at the local recycling center the other day, and it seems like it should work well for my purposes. 😁

I don't know the exact specs on it, but I know that it's an old Packard Bell with an onboard ESS Audiodrive soundcard, 128MB of ram, a SiS chipset of some sort, and a 2MB onboard video card (which I'm definitely planning on upgrading 🤣). It doesn't have AGP, but I'm not too worried about that since I know that AGP is rather buggy on these boards, and most of the AGP cards I have in my stash would be too overpowered for it.

As well, the previous owner installed Win98SE with the unofficial Service Pack 2.1 on it, and it FLIES. 😁 I'm thinking of trying Unreal Gold (with the software renderer) on there just so I can see how much I can stress it. 🤣

Reply 37 of 40, by sepultribe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
sepultribe wrote:

Nope it doesn't. Same goes for the other chips. Doesn't matter if your Pentium is running at 133 or at 200.

that's a pity. there are always slowdown utilities for anything further than that.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

So I picked up a 333MHz AMD K6-2 box at the local recycling center the other day, and it seems like it should work well for my purposes. 😁

I don't know the exact specs on it, but I know that it's an old Packard Bell with an onboard ESS Audiodrive soundcard, 128MB of ram, a SiS chipset of some sort, and a 2MB onboard video card (which I'm definitely planning on upgrading 🤣). It doesn't have AGP, but I'm not too worried about that since I know that AGP is rather buggy on these boards, and most of the AGP cards I have in my stash would be too overpowered for it.

As well, the previous owner installed Win98SE with the unofficial Service Pack 2.1 on it, and it FLIES. 😁 I'm thinking of trying Unreal Gold (with the software renderer) on there just so I can see how much I can stress it. 🤣

lucky you, that's not so bad at all 8-] just need a good pci combo like matrox+voodoo and maybe another soundcard and you're set.

ps: i once played unreal on software mode and the quality was so bad i almost couldn't see where i was going in dark areas.

Reply 38 of 40, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sepultribe wrote:
that's a pity. there are always slowdown utilities for anything further than that. […]
Show full quote
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
sepultribe wrote:

that's a pity. there are always slowdown utilities for anything further than that.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

lucky you, that's not so bad at all 8-] just need a good pci combo like matrox+voodoo and maybe another soundcard and you're set.

ps: i once played unreal on software mode and the quality was so bad i almost couldn't see where i was going in dark areas.

That's exactly the combo I was thinking of using. I know I have a PCI Matrox card somewhere, and I may also have a Voodoo card kicking around. Of course, it's only a Voodoo 1, so it'll probably be replaced with a Voodoo 2 if I can get one cheaply enough.

Reply 39 of 40, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking forward to seeing some photos 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel