VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So what are the biggest differences between the two? I found a copy of 3.51 in a box of old software recently and wondered if it was even worth trying out.

Reply 3 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Considering that there are wikipedia articles on this... Early 32bit programs should run. The more IE stuff they are using the less likely they will run...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 14, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

As already pointed out, the GUI in 3.5(1) was
the same as win3. although this was pretty poor
by today's standards and even those of 95/NT4,
if you were coding applications targeting win3.1
(using WOW in NT) it was the best workstation
setup to use.

If you don't intend to do anything that demands a win3
style front-end I would suggest you steer clear
of it to be honest.

bye

Reply 7 of 14, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I'm also guessing that Win32 applications won't run under NT 3.51.

Considering NT 3.51 is entirely 32-bit..........

I should have written that a TON of Win32 applications that run under Win9x and NT4.0 just won't work under NT 3.51 😜.

Reply 8 of 14, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Office 95 *should* run in NT 3.51... it came out before NT4 was released... I'm fairly certain of this because I have a copy of Money 95 (unrelated, not part of Office) that supports NT 3.51 and that too came out before NT4

one feature that hardly gets a mention is the fact that NT 3.51 officially supported mounting OS/2's HPFS volumes... this was dropped in NT4 but worked if you ripped the drivers off NT 3.51... not that anyone really cares any more, but it's a cool feature if you happen to dual boot both obsolete/useless OS's 🤣

Reply 9 of 14, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Up to Office 97 works on NT 3.51, and that was completely intended. Lots of early 32-bit stuff will work as long as it doesn't use things like DirectX. Heck... even up to Firefox 2.0 will run!

This page has some good info on NT 3.51 and has some extra stuff to update it / improve compatibiliity: http://bearwindows.boot-land.net/winnt351.htm

Wafflenet OPL Archive - Preserving MS-DOS music in a unified format!

Reply 10 of 14, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as the app also supports NT4 and doesn't check the version number, it will run. Unfortunately, doesn't work with WinQuake/GLQuake. And also, only the 16-bit versions of IE will run under 3.51, but there's better stuff than that anyway.

I also did manage to get UT99 to run before, but I had to manually install the files. Here's a screenshot illustrating that:

http://winhistory.de/more/bilder/utnt351.gif

Also, like NT4, there are editions that support Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC platforms.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 12 of 14, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

in my dealings with hard drives, it turns out that NT 3.51 has trouble with hard drives over 1gb. Also, you CANNOT install 4.0 on a hard drive bigger than 8gb.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 14 of 14, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

in my dealings with hard drives, it turns out that NT 3.51 has trouble with hard drives over 1gb. Also, you CANNOT install 4.0 on a hard drive bigger than 8gb.

you can install NT4 on drives bigger then 8GB just fine it is just the setup can't see the full size of the drive. You can expand the 2GBish NTFS partition to a bigger size after you have installed NT4 SP6a and all is good