VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all, question for the Roland SC55 gurus.
Does anyone know if games used the upgrades found in the SC55 Mk2 or will it sound exactly the same?

Main games are Doom, Hexen, Raptor, Halloween Harry but if anyone knows of games that do take advantage that would also be interesting

Thanks

Reply 1 of 11, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've currently got an MKII hooked up to my DOS system and I can hear no difference to the regular SC55 in games like Doom.

On the other hand, there are some titles that don't like the MKII, like Might & Magic: World of Xeen, which drops notes like crazy

::42::

Reply 2 of 11, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a SC55 Mk2 and compared to what I hear on youtube or other people's recordings it sounds pretty similar... as far as I can tell.

Halloween Harry doesn't support any music devices apart from Sound Blaster or compatible. It's music seems to be tracker/MOD based rather than MIDI.

As for world of xeen, I remember there was a thread on these forums about it, seems you have to init your Sound Canvas into GS mode by holding down one of the buttons during power on (I can't remember which), or it sounds funny.

EDIT: hold down right instrument button while powring on jut before you start the game.

here's the thread
Xeen and Roland synths

Reply 3 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know I'm pulling this number out of my ass, but I would say 99% of games with General MIDI support will sound the same on these modules.

The MKII does have extra Instruments (but outside of the General MIDI standard) and can handle 4 more voices, but does any game take advantage of that?

Unlike the differences between the MT-32 (Old) and let's say a CM-32L, I don't think it matters much what SC-55 you pickup. I do have both, just in case, so always happy to help out with recordings if someone needs one.

I think I did some for World of Xeen, but can't remember if that was on a SC or on a CM-32L.

EDIT: Here is that thread:

Xeen and Roland synths

Reply 4 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn’t really think many games would take advantage of the extra instruments being outside the standard but with most games supposedly written on a SC55 I would understand if they were tempted especially later games, glad to hear it’s not the case.

The xeen post that was interesting, not an issue as I’m not a big fan of RPG’s but still interesting if any other games exist like this I’d be interested

Reply 5 of 11, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may be that games with specific 'Sound Canvas' music support may use the extra instruments and/or channels of the mk2 (or SC88 and above), I doubt there would be any difference in plain GM mode though.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 11, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

EDIT: hold down right instrument button while powring on jut before you start the game.

I wonder if this can be done using a SysEx rather than a power cycle?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 11, by rizzobrclinux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I am looking to purchase from eBay an SC-55. In this thread Phil has mentioned the difference between regular SC-55 and mkII. However, looking through the regular models, I noticed some say GM And GS on the front bezel, while others say only GS. Should I be concerned with this distinction? There are slim options of a unit available in the US region, but there are plenty available from Japan, including mkII models. thanks in advance!

Reply 9 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're not going to get an MKII, you should find a GS (not GS/Midi or GS Standard) one that is firmware 1.20-1.21 ... these typically have D0 or C0 serials. Best Capital Tone Feedback support and the proper breath noise, I believe.

Reply 11 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rizzobrclinux wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Since firmware version may be a gamble with non mk2, i better get mk2 version then.

You will get other benefits with the MKII version -- but it does not support CTF, either. There's a small selection of games that have issues without it -- but there are workarounds for most, I believe.