VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone had any success getting USB on the ISA BUS? I'm not looking for fast transfer, just something to use a mouse with and a few peripherals.

I have an VIA-based PCMCIA card reader on the ISA bus, which works with 6 different PC card combinations. The only PC card it didn't work with was an el cheapo 4-port USB 2.0 PC card. I tried it in W2K and XP Pro, but neither of these OSs would even notice I inserted the USB card. When I plug the USB card into my XP Thinkpad laptop, it is detected no problem. It seems there is some incompatability with this USB 2.0 card and the PCMCIA reader.

This leads to my second question, has anyone had or seen a USB 1.0 or 1.1 PCMCIA card? I can't seem to find any on eBay, but it would have the best chances of working.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 3, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Perhaps your USB 2.0 card is a Type 2 card, sporting a 32-bit interface. My guess is that this wouldn't work in an ISA-PCMCIA bridge scenario.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 3, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The USB PCMCIA card might be the newer CardBus standard (it uses the same pinout as the old PCMCIA). As far as I remember, CardBus is based on PCI rather than ISA, so it might not work in your ISA based converter.

Reply 3 of 3, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

16-bit PCMCIA and 32-bit CardBus are keyed in such a way you can insert a 16 bit card into a CardBus slot but not vice versa.

The card is probably incompatible with the chipset used by your reader. You might have better luck with a standard USB 1.1 card.