VOGONS

First post, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Netgear WG311v3 PCI wireless G card that I have installed in my 586 Pentium-100Mhz system, I downloaded the Win9x drivers however it's not functioning, it works perfectly fine in my Pentium III system.

My question is, are Win9x drivers CPU architecture [i386, i486, i586, i686, etc] specific? As far as I have always known i386 was the generic compile flag companies always use for 32-bit x86 to keep it as "backward" compatible as possible.

I'm trying my best to not string an ethernet cord across our living room floor [roughly 15+ ft. between the router and the Pentium system].

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 2, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, what I can tell you is this. I have the same card, and two weeks ago I installed it on my P3 pc. It has windows 98 and XP. I found the 9x drivers and it worked, surprizingly well (I used to believe it wouldn't be possible to use it under the old version of windows). The board I use is a QDI Advance 10F. I found the user's manual, and at the page of the specs it says the PCI is version 2.2. Perhaps on the Pentium 100 the board has an earlier version, and that's what is causing the problem.

edit : I found the manual....

Before installing the WG311 v3 Wireless PCI Adapter, please make sure that these minimum
requirements have been met:
• Pentium® III class computer with an available PCI slot

Reply 2 of 2, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps the drivers use MMX/SSE/3DNow compatible code for some part of the encryption/decryption/handshaking or something similar? What does 'non-functioning' mean? Card doesn't initialise, doesn't connect to or see any access points, won't authenticate?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net