VOGONS

First post, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone remember the FLIC (FLI/FLC) file format animations from good old DOS times? I found some old fli videos and was pissed that neither VLC nor media player could handle them, so i made my own player for win32. Will work fine on XP, only requires common controls (Was too lazy to make my own file browse function).
Based on some source i found on the net, just added some functionality.

Sourcecode (VB6) included.

1327322964.jpg

http://www.tankraider.com/userup/1327360810.zip

Reply 3 of 10, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm i dont like quicktime so much on windows. And i just wanted some way to look at them on my desktop so my own player was just a convenient solution. It's not really programming artwork, especially the fullscreen feature is where you can see when i lost interest. I had some fun toying with the playback speed control for a while.

Imma start a collection of classic fli/flc files, does anyone have some to contribute? Anything welcome!

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fronzel wrote:

Hmmm i dont like quicktime so much on windows.

Neither do I. I suggest "Quicktime Alternative", a much less invasive installer for the necessary codecs.

I think the first time I encountered FLICs I used a versatile DOS image viewer called "DISPLAY", which I imagine ought to run in DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 10, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the tip with Quicktime alternative, really really good. Finally .mov files without the annoying quicktime software (Well annoying as in "Annoying on windows, not on OSX").

The first time i encountered FLIC movies was somewhere in the early 90s, actually before i bought a lightning fast 486 DLC 33. I still remember how i originally thought FLIC was "Totally awesome" and then later laughed about it when i played MPEG videos fullscreen in DOS on my 486.

My windows FLIC player is not so serious, actually just a "quick and dirty" solution of a bored saturday evening, i just wanted to comfortably preview flic movies on my win XP machine.

Reply 6 of 10, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice work. There are other FLI/FLC players for Windows, though... google AAWin or WAAPlay.

what I'd REALLY like to know is if there's any modern software that matches Autodesk Animator's features. It was hands-down the best graphics editor and animation suite in the DOS era, like Photoshop and Flash rolled into one (with the best handling of 8-bit paletted color, too).

super pissed at myself for not keeping all the .FLI stuff I created with AA / AAPro back in the day...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 10, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah i must admit i didnt know about other players. I thought i could get some codec or so to have it work with VLC or win media player but no way, so it was just a drunk idea to make my own one. I based it on some simple source i found somewhere but it didnt have a loop function which pissed me off as some of my old flc/fli were just like 2 seconds or so.

Relly pitty you dont have your old fli/flc files any more. If you find anything let me know, i wanna build an online shrine with vintage fli/flc anis. I sure miss the good old days! 😉

Reply 10 of 10, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosboxFan wrote:

If you want to make some new Flc's you might like to know that Autodesk's Animator Pro does work in dosbox on a Windows 7 x64bit Dell laptop.

I don't know where you might find Animator Pro though.

J

I used Videomach

http://gromada.com/videomach/

The free version leaves watermarks though, but if you have the pro version or so its a really nice solution for XP users as it really converts every popular video format and also offers basic cutting features and such.