VOGONS

486 Wait...

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually get that when I did something stupid, like forgot to connect the floppy ribbon, or forgot to install a Multi I/O at all...

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 21 of 27, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
awergh wrote:

I'll see if I can, No the battery has been desoldered and some coper wire has been soldered in its place.

So there's now no battery at all on the board?

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 22 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote:
awergh wrote:

I'll see if I can, No the battery has been desoldered and some coper wire has been soldered in its place.

So there's now no battery at all on the board?

Nope no battery at all on the board. Makes me wonder if its a problem but I'm sure its unrelated to the keyboard not working.

h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Did you already try to wait a few minutes when it says WAIT?

Yep still says

16000KB OK

WAIT...

SquallStrife wrote:

I usually get that when I did something stupid, like forgot to connect the floppy ribbon, or forgot to install a Multi I/O at all...

How did you know I didn't have any Multi I/O installed?
Anyway I installed one and attached an HDD and FDD and same result.
The FDD LED never came on which I expected it to maybe its too early in the boot sequence.

I'm curious to know why the CPU isn't displayed on the screen I assumed it would be displayed before the memory test.

Reply 23 of 27, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
awergh wrote:

I'm curious to know why the CPU isn't displayed on the screen I assumed it would be displayed before the memory test.

I think AMIBIOS doesn't show the CPU make and speed til after POST, on that text mode info panel that displays before the OS starts.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 24 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I found the closest thing to documentation here, but its the wrong revision.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UN … BUS-5-3-3V.html

I connected to the external battery socket with 4.5V and made no difference so I guess thats not the problem.
I'm sure the keyboard not working is related to the problem but I haven't really got any idea how to solve this problem 🙁

I could attach more devices to the disk controller or something but I can't see that being helpful.

Reply 25 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I finally got an ISA diagnostic card from ebay which appears to work with other boards as long as i remember to plug it in the ISA slot the right way.
I haven't been able to get this board to post for ages (not since I pulled out the AMIKEY-2 to have a look at it and put it back in) so I'd left it but with the diagnostic card originally I was getting something but it might of been in the wrong way. Now I don't get anything it just has power to -12V +5V +3.3V but no post codes.

So it seems that the board has died on me or something very sad, guess I'll have to find another one 🙁

Reply 26 of 27, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before you ........... (enter your method of farewell here) away the board, try pulling out the AMIKEY-2 again, check it and put it back again. Just trying to beat around the bush.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 27 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm pretty sure I tried that but I'll have another go later. I'm not planning to throw the board out. If I get around to throwing out my other dead/bad boards it wont be that one I have IBM boards to get rid of first. I might need some extra cache chips one day anyway and I have no better place to keep them then in a motherboard. my only real temptation is that I'm really short on antistatic plastic