VOGONS

First post, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found an interesting sound card for sale called "Onkyo Wavio SE-50 ISA".
http://www.c.do-up.com/home/kawano/WAVIO.htm (Scroll down for pictures)
I can't find any information in English about the card so I suppose it was only released in Japan. It's ISA however and should work fine in my DOS computer.

Does anyone have any interesting information about this card, like sound quality, compatibility with games, if it tends to conflict with other cards, level of MPU-401 compatibility of its MIDI-port, which other sound cards it's compatible with, hogging of system resources and so on.

I haven't bought the card yet, but I might if it's good enough to deserve to inherit the ISA slot previously occupied by my now dead Ensoniq Soundscape Elite.

Reply 1 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It doesn't look interesting to me... I bet it's just another SB clone

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's interesting is the use of solid caps, rather than electrolytic caps usually found on sound cards of the era, as well as nice wide tracks leading out to the outputs. The text doesn't have anything in the way of specs, but judging on the physical build of that card, I bet you get excellent, crisp, noise-free output from it. Probably very clean input as well.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@SquallStrife:
yeah those caps are nothing special, don't get fooled by them 😀 Amiga computers from A600 and onwards used them as well (1991-2+ era) - almost exclusively to all their components - and they are a pain in the a$$ , they fail too often nowdays. Sure when they were new they were OK but after all those years most machines need recapping. And since they are smd they are an extra challenge.... Personally I would prefer a card with normal ones than those little buggers that are not audio specific in the first place... But I agree, the card does look built for "better" results in quality, whether it still offers one is a mystery until tested 😁

And since sprcorreia knows it is based on 82C933 it is a sign it's not something special 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 16, by Paddan1000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it doesn't have MIDI capability or rivals my SB Pro for game compatibility I won't buy it, since it costs a lot to have it shipped here from Japan. I guess it would be useful in a Windows 95 machine, but I only use DOS. Still, it looks good with the RCA-output jacks and general quality of build. Here is the ad for the card, if anyone else is interested:

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b130834783

Reply 9 of 16, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

@SquallStrife:
yeah those caps are nothing special,

I know electrically they're essentially identical, but theoretically they're more hardy. I've repaired enough Mac Classics to know that in reality they're not, but they seem to be a selling points on modern motherboards, and were probably a selling point when it was new.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 16, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's a google translate:

10 ONKYO WAVIO SE-50 […]
Show full quote

10 ONKYO WAVIO SE-50

To buy a CD-R/RW, first thing you want to
be a LP to CD in the corner of the room!
To (SONY LBT-V725) is not with my record player stereo system
I am using it with external input connected to that I used in the past, a player of Sansui.
Needle exchange record has not been the past few years addition.
"Did not you do needle What has been discontinued production record, right?"
I'd better do something soon!
To (HR / HM) is a rare LP does there is something I have! (What you think yourself)
in, I'll introduce here a little! · "GIRL"-SHEER GREED '80 What the band "GIRL" This guitarist Phil Collin of Defurepa were enrolled. Then years'm doing right now · What is the story of 20 years ago but already! · It should be thinner bangs or not my favorite is "Hysteria" is Defurepa. · "BON JOVI" - '84 (Dai) runaway of dawn so is the first album of Bon Jovi. I heard this well. Opening number anyway, cool in this album. "It's not fucking cool hard rock, such as" It is written in the liner notes Mr. Masanori Ito also. · "Stars"-HEAR'N AID '86 Ronnie James Dio of the original Rainbow was proposed "USA For Africa" ​​Heavy Metal version. I'll it was a boom 'Aid' at that time thing. I would also make a charity record hard rock world. Members who participated is terrible again. Ronnie James Dio of Dio earlier Rob Halford of Judas Priest Kevin Daburou of Quiet Riot Dave Menikettei of Y & T in Guitarist Vivian Campbell of Dio at that time still Brad Gills of Night Ranger ーtwo of the Journey Le Sean Lynch of Dokken George Carlos Kavu~azo of Quiet Riot Iron Maiden Adrian Smith, Dave Murray and Yngwie Malmsteen. Besides, Motley Crue, Queen's lychee, Blue Oyster Cult, WASP, etc. Rough Cut is how! ! Is not that great! ! I do not gather member or not this amazing again.

Was longer preface a little,
to put it to sleep this LP I was to consider on CD rather than Shinobi
I have heard that and can not use it terribly noisy 's sound chip on the motherboard,
a new sound card I was then ransacked
the ONKYO SE-120PCI product called has been recently released.
Sound card is at the corner of the ONKYO product introduction that
has a reputation and a good sound ISA model from the era had been launched earlier,
was written and surpass the sound card of Creative Media.
My computer does not have a free slot to another PCI (one slot is that it is lonely)
I was also considering sound unit of connection USB (, SE-U55 SE-U33)
by way of example http://mmc.onkyo. co.jp /
IBM If the ThinkPad series, in the BIOS sound chip on-board
and you do not cancel, do not work properly even if you normally recognized
may be.
regardless of the Aptiva / ThinkPad, are equipped with the chip set of SIS and ALI
models Since you may not be able to recognize correctly, we can not recommend your In.

And there.
Sound unit is aware of the USB connection as a USB speaker
also writes CD-R/RW at the corner of
"Aptiva ,2158-243-273 Micro Tower 2153-E2x/E3x family
support program update After you update USB Speaker " be used?
However, it is because I can not be used.
Yes, it does become unusable WinCDR of writing software and want to update.
~ Do not Let 's or better yet another transfer soft lighting.
(· · · I do not even guarantee that they are working on other software) used not only in search of the ISA sound card has not been released now no choice but to say there was a place I had thought. "YAHOO auction in the" Seller is not even tore out how vinyl package complete new state. Another, he got in haste.

This is, ONKYO SE-50 of the user registration postcard free posting date in 1999 were being cut off. (Laughs) OS support is only 95/98 in the NT are not supported.

Dsc00007.jpg

Dsc00006.jpg

Dsc00008.jpg

· Software and WebSynth of processing sound new method, by a combination of hardware and high-quality, patent-pending high-quality audio board of the new method adopted performance that exceeds the sound module and hardware, of WebSynth was adopted specification audio real- circuit board design high-quality high-quality audio, such as the adoption of a code or pin gold-plated input and output terminals of the specification, quality has been achieved up to input audio technology, the know-how throughout. (Excerpt from HP)

LINE IN (stereo mini)
MIC IN (MONO mini)
LINE OUT (STEREO

This sound card before installing the first
two will consume the IRQ port because some of the MIDI / JOYSTICK.
IRQ steering holder does not use PCI because it is not
you need to ensure the IRQ in advance.
Was to disable the MIDI input device number where IRQ11. You have to disable the onboard audio in the BIOS and just in case.

Ready to go.
Attached to the ISA slot vacant, when you start the PC
device driver has been automatically recognized.
I had to download a new driver and see the HP of ONKYO
also end successfully installed. The next challenge is to finally record on CD.

Uh....you need a *Google Translator Translator" installed in your mind to decipher the codes (read words) above to understand fluently. 😁

What I'm intrested in, is, if it supports true "intelligent" MIDI or 100% MPU-401 compatibilty. (Which is highly unlikely, I guess.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sprcorreia wrote:

It's an Opti based sound card. 82C933.

That info makes it easy:
Opti 82C933 - Controller+Codec 16-Bit, SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, PnP, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone, 3D sound.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 13 of 16, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry but those caps on the card are not solid caps, they are fairly regular electrolytic caps made for example by Panasonic. They are just surface-mount devices instead of pin-trough-hole.

Datasheet here has similar electrolytic caps.

Reply 14 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ ofcourse, they are just the smd version , that's why one mustn't get fooled by them 😀

Reply 16 of 16, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Ensoniq sound cards in my collection use these SMD electrolytic caps too. The cards still function fine, thankfully.

832a2e4230890.gif

They are pretty common really. I've seen them on all sorts of hardware. I haven't seen any oozing though to my knowledge.