Topic actions

Reply 60 of 68, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nforce4max wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Actually, during Win95's time, 32MB was luxury. I had 8MB, which was usable but definitely on the edge.

Of course as time went by the applications became ever more RAM hungry. Gotta love how today we have web browsers that can use a gig of RAM.

Yea now days almost everything sucks up every last KB of ram and a dead shame that one has to have at least 8gb just to get by without things getting dicey. At least Opera isn't to bad and runs on my p55c rig even though it only has 256mb. Yes I once had a compaq with win 95 and only 8mb ram my self but the drive kicked the bucket. Still got the cpu from it though a es 75mhz p1.

Hell, it wasn't that many versions ago that Opera would still run on Windows 98 or OS X 10.2. Finding an older version of Opera is the way to go if you want a reasonably up to date browser for a vintage rig.

Reply 61 of 68, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

It's reminiscent of the original eMachines boxes. Actually this kind of thing was everywhere back then. PCs with so little RAM they would be swapping to disk immediately upon boot.

Today's budget stuff is so much better because RAM is so cheap now.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to use a decent amount of slower/cheaper RAM along with a lower cost (but still decent quality) board/CPU than a crippled set-up like that? . . . Oh, wait, marketing a bigger number and "Intel inside" would be easier to sell to ignorant customers than a more decent machine of the same price. (though, even then, a decent Pentium MMX based system with 128MB EDO DRAM would have been a lot better in general use, or in a less extreme case, a slower celeron+128MB . . . but then you'd still have to market the system badged with a much lower clock speed)

And, of course, the often horribly bloated default installs of those types of machines made the situation much worse.

swaaye wrote:
I think IGPs are completely adequate for general desktop usage. That's what a budget PC is intended for. The modern $400 machine […]
Show full quote
jaqie wrote:

I actually disagree. budget stuff isn't much better, mainly because it's still starving the system of ram bandwidth by the onboard video using system ram and bandwidth for it's tasks, to the point that even some things that are simple tasks now can choke the PC.

I think IGPs are completely adequate for general desktop usage. That's what a budget PC is intended for. The modern $400 machines with 4GB RAM and just about any CPU (aside from AMD Brazos or Intel Atom) are very nice in my experience. The performance for web browsing and Office stuff is not very tangibly different than a high end machine.

Gaming is a different story, but you can do more gaming on a cheap machine today than ever before.

A 64MB Celeron spent most of its time swap file thrashing on a really slow budget HDD. Apparently they also sold a 32MB version! Yikes!

In terms of RAM alone, 64 MB on a clean install of win9x shouldn't be too bad, at least if the video and HDD are also decent (and motherboard for that matter), but having a "supermarket" PC with those qualities was/is rare and (of course) the average end-user isn't going to be able to remove all the bloated crap from the default install either.

The same is true today: at home, I still use my 2 GHz turion laptop with embedded Nvidia 7150 and 2 GB of DDR2 for almost all of my normal desktop stuff. And, until a couple months ago, my family was also still using an Athlon XP 2500+ system with 1 GB DDR and WinXP SP3, and it handled most desktop tasks and web browsing fine. (in fact, most multimedia stuff ran perfectly fine too, as long as there was proper driver support catering to a CPU lacking SSE2 and supporting hardware acceleration -which is apparently no longer the case for Silverlight, hence Netflix went from running fine to being unplayable, even with a Radeon HD 3670 installed; my dad's old dual Athlon 2800 board didn't fare much better)

OTOH, it's really cheap to build a vastly faster new system too . . . for well under $200, we got a black edition 3.2 GHz Athlon II X3, 8 GB DDR3, and a blueray reader/writer, and a AM3+ motherboard (albeit a low-cost one with only 1 PCI, 1 PCIe 16x, and 1 PCI-e 1x -plus onboard AMD video).
It wouldn't take much more to push that system into a competent modern gaming rig too. (mainly a fast video card -as it is, I think we upgraded it to a Radeon HD 4350 that we already had)

Reply 62 of 68, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kool kitty89 wrote:

The same is true today: at home, I still use my 2 GHz turion laptop with embedded Nvidia 7150 and 2 GB of DDR2 for almost all of my normal desktop stuff.

I have an Acer laptop with a single core Athlon TF-20 and HD3200 video and 3gb RAM and I can play almost every game I want to on it with everything at the lowest settings. As soon as I turn something up, though, the framerates plummet to unplayable levels, but for general computing it's fine. I did buy a Turion64x2 to put in it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Reply 63 of 68, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
kool kitty89 wrote:

The same is true today: at home, I still use my 2 GHz turion laptop with embedded Nvidia 7150 and 2 GB of DDR2 for almost all of my normal desktop stuff.

I have an Acer laptop with a single core Athlon TF-20 and HD3200 video and 3gb RAM and I can play almost every game I want to on it with everything at the lowest settings. As soon as I turn something up, though, the framerates plummet to unplayable levels, but for general computing it's fine. I did buy a Turion64x2 to put in it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The GPU is definitely the bottleneck for games on my laptop . . . Portal was barely playable at times at the lowest settings (usually fine, but pretty choppy in the worst cases -in best cases, it did OK at some higher settings too). I haven't bothered much with many other newer games. (though some of my older -early/mid 2000s- games don't do much/any better than on my old Athlon XP-1600+ with Radeon 9600 -with 768 MB DDR and WinXP SP3)

On that note, even that old Athlon 1600+ rig could handle new games reasonably well at lower detail settings back around 2006/07. (the last time I really tried new-ish games -Blazing Angels ran OK at 1024x768 and mid/lower-ish detail)

I should also note that most/all of our home systems would fall into the "reasonably clean" install category. Even in the case of my laptop and the 1 pre-built HP box we have, my dad went in ant pulled out/disabled a lot of the bloated pre-installed fluff and did a few other tweaks to clean things up a bit. (my laptop ends up idling with around 600-800 MB of physical memory used, and at least 1 GB when doing any significant multimedia stuff)

Reply 64 of 68, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I came up with this crazy joke/idea of making an underpowered, budget netbook-sized laptop for my pregnant wife. The goal was to come up with a cheap system with a very small form that one could rest on the chest comfortably. We came up with the name "The Paptop." 🤣 perhaps I should market it through K-Mart... 😉

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 65 of 68, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the topic of underpowered/outdated hardware still running OK for everyday tasks when set-up practically/efficiently, there's this interesting quote on the Cyrix 6x86 (classic) PR-166:

http://redhill.net.au/c/c-8.html

As we write (in March 2002) we still see 166 Classics in service regularly, and every now and then we are surprised and delighted all over again by the desktop speed one of these can deliver in a clean, well-sorted system. It really is astonishing how what is (by current standards) a very modest CPU can nevertheless provide genuine snap in a light-duty installation — Windows 95 and Office 97, for example, with no power-robbing junk in the start-up folder. (The Pentium 166 was a little like this too — an old and theoretically obsolete part that just refused to lie down and die.)

Reply 68 of 68, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

I've seen that case before. Nice shade of blue for Kmart though. 😀

I was just going to say the same thing. I'll have to rummage through my stacks and see if I have one.I'm sure if I do, it won't have a colored face plate.