VOGONS

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt anyone will really every be able to offer anything constructive, but....

I was getting my "new"A7V600 up and running - I should have known itw as an omen when the CPU cooler fell off the shelf onto the floor

I got it installed, everything worked. Then I noticed the cooler was bent a bit. No problem - just pull it off and fix. BIG MISTAKE. On trying to remove it, the scredriver slipped out and across the MB 🙁

I know there were some "shavings" at the time - but looked at that thing close-up under my 30-LED worklight, even took it outside under sunlight. I cannot find a scrape on the board, no missing parts. Nothing.

The board still works. It acts a little funny when I try to access the hardware monitor from BIOS (takes a second to load) - but that may be normal. I do not know. I was able to install Windows. Everything seems to work. But where did those "shavings" come from?????

Reply 1 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's pretty common thing on Asus boards for 'em to freeze for a few seconds when entering the hardware monitor page. I've seen it on a few non-Asus boards too... I have no idea why it happens.

As for the shavings, it's hard to say. It could've just been old thermal material or some other mung that was stuck to the bottom edge of the heatsink. Or since it's one of the old piss-yellow boards, it could be that you did scrape the solder mask, but can't see it since the traces underneath are a pretty similar color.

In any case, it sounds like the board still works fine, so I think it's safe to pretend it never happened and try not to do it again.

Reply 2 of 7, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

It's pretty common thing on Asus boards for 'em to freeze for a few seconds when entering the hardware monitor page.

Seconded, my P5Q-E board does that. I guess it takes a while to initialize or pull the data from the sensors or whatever.

Reply 3 of 7, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks - I think I just needed to hear someone say that

I would say that getting those coolers on and off is one of the trickiest parts of building a computer - once you get one on LEAVE IT ALONE

Reply 4 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

On trying to remove it, the scredriver slipped out and across the MB 🙁

I've done that a few times and it really freaks me out. Is it really feasible to damage a motherboard that way, given that Phillips-head drivers tend not to be especially pointy?

Reply 5 of 7, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure how you'd expect to go about removing a clip-on heatsink with a phillips screwdriver. Normally you'd use a standard for that.

But yes, it is certainly possible to wreck a motherboard with a screwdriver slip. I've never personally done it, but I've seen a fair number of boards that were damaged in such a way, and I've even had to repair traces on a couple.