VOGONS

Reply 21 of 30, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

XP? For that OS, they had an older "3D Stereo" driver, which is what I use on my older XP desktop with its GeForce 6800 Ultra.

However, if your card is too modern for the older drivers that pre-dated the revised NVIDIA Control Panel, it may not support those old 3D Stereo drivers.

I'm using ForceWare 78.01 and its corresponding 3D Stereo driver version on that system right now, as a reference point.

Reply 22 of 30, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I rather not use the old drivers, lack a lot of performence in newer games. Any reason you're using 78.01 though? These are the latest ones for XP.. Even with the modern control panel introduced, you can revert to the older one with the registry setting in the link.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-174.75- … nload-1891.html
http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-162.50- … nload-1709.html

I listed them both because I didnt get 174 working, had to use 162..

Reply 23 of 30, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember that trying drivers past the 100 range with the newer NVIDIA Control Panel not only resulted in certain lost features, but lost PERFORMANCE, too. That's why I've been hesitant to use anything too new on that system.

Also note that if I'm going to be playing newer games, I'm probably going to play them on my Win7 64-bit/Q6600/8800 GT system instead.

Reply 24 of 30, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the latest drivers that support Elsa Revelator glasses well are the 91.31.
See also here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/legacy_stereo_3d_drivers.html

All newer are just patched to work with Zalman 3D monitors and then NVidia switched to it's 3D Vision.

So maybe for really new stuff it is better to consider solutions like iz3D that support also old Revelator glasses.
The 8800GT will be definately not enough for new games in 3D, you may consider something like 670SLI.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 25 of 30, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Single GTX 670, maybe. It's been part of my upgrade plans for a while, but keeps getting pushed back because I want to buy other things and have a bit of hesitation dropping $400 on something that depreciates so quickly.

SLI, no way; my old P35 motherboard doesn't support it, and I generally find multi-card setups to be a waste of money when I don't run lots of monitors simultaneously.

Also note that since I have to drop the resolution to keep refresh rates high enough for viable 3D Vision usage, that does ease the load on the GPU significantly.

Reply 26 of 30, by Rick Dalton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:

and that's the fact that both frames are vertically offset, with no obvious method to correct that.

That's not entirely true. The iZ3D driver has a gap control feature for correcting the offset. But therefore you have to manually edit the config.xml as described here:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7056

Btw: i use the same X3D glasses. In combination with custom resolution (in my case: 800x1200@60hz => over/under = 800x600@120Hz) and custom gap control:

<Gap Width="800" Height="1200" Value="27" />

... i can play more modern games like "Street Fighter IV" with perfectly stable 120hz shuttering. Other custom resolutions may be possible - but since my old CRT won't support refresh rates above 120 for higher resolutions, i can't test it myself.

The only drawback: custom resolutions won't work with games, that does not support free aspect ratios (for instance: "Assassins Creed II" always uses a 16:9 ratio for the output and fills the remaining screen with black borders, resulting in a vertically squashed picture with custom resolutions like 800x1200 in over/under mode). So for most of the games you have to use standard resolutions and therefor only have half of the vertical resolution with the X3D glasses (in over/under mode as well as in interleaved mode).

Reply 27 of 30, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I sure would've liked to know about that earlier! The iZ3D interface didn't readily expose such a setting.

But if I were to go back to iZ3D, there are still the problems with no DX10/DX11 support, no OpenGL support (though that affects everything that isn't NVIDIA's older 3D Stereo driver), and the company themselves going out of business, leaving the driver itself unsupported...and my trial's expired anyway. You'd think that they'd at least make it legal freeware even without the source code, but they didn't.

In other news, I'm really starting to wish NVIDIA's drivers had a decent refresh rate override for resolutions that AREN'T the desktop setting, because some games default to the LOWEST refresh rate for that resolution.

Reply 28 of 30, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats easy to fix. Export your monitor as driver inf file with powerstrip. Remove all lower refresh rates.
f.e. allow only 120 Hz modes and higher.
Then force this monitor driver as update to install instead of your current monitor.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 29 of 30, by Rick Dalton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:

The iZ3D interface didn't readily expose such a setting.

There are a lot of options, the iZ3D control panel wont expose... like the gap control or custom colors for anaglyph output.
TriDef is way less customizable - but on the other hand: it is still supported by its developers 😉 .

NamelessPlayer wrote:

You'd think that they'd at least make it legal freeware even without the source code, but they didn't.

Their open source attempt for the code was bound to a ridiculous high amount of money donations. That's why i would guess they try to squeeze some more money out of their work so far. Making the driver freeware, doesn't give them what they want. So i would assume, they still try to sell the source code...

At least their own hardware independent "iZ3D shutter mode" was kind of unique - but i doubt it's enough of a selling point.